Preview Changes for R22 v Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Last week our main problems in the first half were:

(1) inability to hit a target, particularly going inside 50
(2) inability to cleanly exit our back half

Not sure what the cause of (1) was. We were getting some clean looks but just muffed the kicks/made poor decisions. Jetta had a couple of bad ones and Yeo had one particularly bad one. But there were also others. All should have led to good scoring opportunities but didn't. This was pretty much team-wide and I don't think we can single anyone out for it.

I think (2) was due to Port setting up well and guarding space, but they were only able to do that due to the skinny ground. Our gameplan this year accommodates an extra 5m on either side of the ground and if you take that away we have trouble finding space to play our kicking game across half back. We won't have that problem for the rest of the year.

So, I don't see any necessary changes arising from that poor first half. The second half was fine I thought. Sure, Venables was quiet but I don't think he deserves to get dropped because of that. He may get dropped for structural/strategic reasons.

I think our biggest problem is the lack of a foil for Darling. The last few weeks he has been repeatedly double teamed, triple teamed, scragged, checked, chopped, blocked and no amount of throwing his head back is convincing the umps to give him a free (we are all aware of his "boy who cried wolf" problems with the umps). I don't know what the answer is (basically, wait for JK to come back), but Simmo & Co might try something different like bringing in Waterman for Venables and playing Vardy out of the F50.
I agree with you, that about sums it up. They dont let darling have run at the ball and the umps do F*** all. Waterman will take some of that pressure of plus a resting Vardy. Who has impressed me.

Where does it say that JK is confirmed for Brisbane?
JK said he wants a hit out before the finals, Simmo said he is touch and go for Melbourne, but they are being cautious with him. ALso its a 4 week injury so that means he has missed the North, Freo, Port and now Dees game

Some massively awesome and happy news for you guys (not so much from an MFC fans point of view)

Hogan out for the season. So he's one player you don't need to worry.

However, Hibberd and Melksham are back who we badly missed last week.

Some massively awesome and happy news for you guys (not so much from an MFC fans point of view)

We are both missing our best forward, that sucks. :(

If you’re looking for a board to rejoice in the misfortune of other clubs and their players I suggest you head across to the Fremantle board. But yeah obviously this out benefits the eagles cause...

Hogan out evens up the forward line issue. Who else do they use up front? Do they swing Tom Mcdonald up front?

Out: Vardy (Sore/Rest)
In: Waterman

Gawn isnt a 100% so i would back Lycett to comepete well with him and then we can trial Ah Chee out as a pinch hitter in the ruck.

I think Venables should get another crack because i think he can build some form up for the finals. I liked his game v Freo where he spend more minutes in the midfield so i hope we go down that route.

Waterman had a cracking game in the WAFL and should be a good foil for Darling.

Guys, I went down to training the other day,
Gee Venables has some skills. He mainly jogged laps before spending the last half hour or so on set shots
I really like the look of this Brodie Riach (pictured on the right) as a Cat B rookie. Covers the ground really well. I reckon he's a chance of a surprise call up!
Andrew+Gaff+West+Coast+Eagles+Training+Session+8nwr_T-enIal.jpg

Hogan out evens up the forward line issue. Who else do they use up front? Do they swing Tom Mcdonald up front?

Out: Vardy (Sore/Rest)
In: Waterman

Gawn isnt a 100% so i would back Lycett to comepete well with him and then we can trial Ah Chee out as a pinch hitter in the ruck.

I think Venables should get another crack because i think he can build some form up for the finals. I liked his game v Freo where he spend more minutes in the midfield so i hope we go down that route.

Waterman had a cracking game in the WAFL and should be a good foil for Darling.

Tom McDonald has kicked over 40 goals this year...his days as a defender are history :)

Gawn just had a bad corky so I expect he'll be 100% when he plays us.

Jesse Hogan out for the year with a foot injury.

MELBOURNE has suffered a major blow to its finals hopes with forward Jesse Hogan ruled out for the rest of the season.

Hogan suffered a partial stress fracture to the navicular bone in his foot during Sunday’s loss to Sydney, playing out the game but being hampered it.

Scans on Monday confirmed the injury and the Demons have therefore ruled out Hogan for the remainder of 2018.

Interesting to note...

Hogan is sixth on the Coleman Medal table, having kicked 47 goals this season. 42 of those goals have been kicked against bottom ten sides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McDonald has been playing forward for basically the last 12 months. He’s a gun IMO. A cleaner mark and better kick on goal than Hogan.

I think Hogan out will suit Melbourne funnily enough. They kick predictably to him CONSTANTLY and it makes it easy for opposition defences to pick off.

He gets shitty about this and drops his head, making his kicking on goal worse.

They will be less predictable with a smaller forward line especially if Melksham comes back. He’s been in great form this year contrary to the spudness he’s shown throughout his career.

Hopefully for us they bring in Wiedeman, who has potential but never seems to perform when given a chance. Bit like a younger, skinnier Fraser McInness.

They will probably just stick with McDonald and Pedersen though. Pedo dropped a lot of marks on Sunday but can be a reallyhandy player when he’s in form.

As if the result of this game matters.All that matters to me are two things:

We are very likely to finish top 2
We have 4-0 record in vic this year( 2-0 at the G).
Putting my arrogant hat on- the expectations are minimum MCG meeting with tigers.If we are in GF again, Darling will have a blinder of a game.

Be interesting to see how we continue to make do without Gaff now..especially in finals?
Darling will no doubt be targeted until JK returns, but pleasing thing about the Port game
was how we kept pressing and had so many forward entries...just need to be cleaner
lower the eyes and spot up players in the arc..the bombing a result of pressure.
To see how we can improve on that aspect? JK's return will straighten us up.
JK, JD, Cripps, Lecca, Rioli and Ryan is formidable.
Hope Ryan remains injury free all the way...
Also hope the footy gods give us a break going forward to finals now!?

Putting my arrogant hat on- the expectations are minimum MCG meeting with tigers.If we are in GF again, Darling will have a blinder of a game.

You're an Eagles fan, you should never take your arrogant hat off!

I hope I speak on behalf of all WC supporters when I say we want to play against the best and that it's unfortunate Hogan is out. Poor guy can't catch a break.

Agreed Hibbered is a very good defender and Melksham is also excellent. Sad for Jessie Hogan

Be interesting to see how we continue to make do without Gaff now..especially in finals?
Darling will no doubt be targeted until JK returns, but pleasing thing about the Port game
was how we kept pressing and had so many forward entries...just need to be cleaner
lower the eyes and spot up players in the arc..the bombing a result of pressure.
To see how we can improve on that aspect? JK's return will straighten us up.
JK, JD, Cripps, Lecca, Rioli and Ryan is formidable.
Hope Ryan remains injury free all the way...
Also hope the footy gods give us a break going forward to finals now!?
That is an excellent forward line. Two quality talls and 4 smalls who are dangerous. Throw in Lycett and Vardy who are dangerous forward and we have a strong chance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back