Unofficial Preview Rd 22 Geelong v Fremantle at KP.. does it even matter ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im really pissed that Constable hasn't been given the game his form deserves yet the MC consistently gives plebs like Parsons, Zuthrie and O'Connor games without earning it, this club has become a joke at picking its best side.
The trouble with Geelong is they pick there best 22 from week one, that's not saying they all play week one, through out the course of the year the Bottom 6 / 10 are only there to support the top end to cover for injuries etc, Geelong always has an alternative motive going forward,Coaching Personalities are playing a big part in Selection, it is the Bleating obvious this Team is not picked on FORM!, I have only watched 7 or 8 Games in the VFL this year, It seems to me that there has been some consistent Performers through out the season for no reward, May be its time to put a little bit more in to the Bottom 6 / 10 at the cattery instead of trying to get them out the door, lets hope Constable gets his chance before seasons end, we will certainly know that he hasn't been GIFTED a game like some.

The trouble with Geelong is they pick there best 22 from week one, that's not saying they all play week one, through out the course of the year the Bottom 6 / 10 are only there to support the top end to cover for injuries etc, Geelong always has an alternative motive going forward,Coaching Personalities are playing a big part in Selection, it is the Bleating obvious this Team is not picked on FORM!, I have only watched 7 or 8 Games in the VFL this year, It seems to me that there has been some consistent Performers through out the season for no reward, May be its time to put a little bit more in to the Bottom 6 / 10 at the cattery instead of trying to get them out the door, lets hope Constable gets his chance before seasons end, we will certainly know that he hasn't been GIFTED a game like some.

Constable is a midfielder. Who does he come in for when none of our midfielders are in the bottom 6/10.
We're blessed that Danger, Kelly and Ablett can rest forward. Can Constable? Serious question as I haven't seen it in the few VFL games I've seen.

I simply dont buy into any of the talk of "favourites" or team selection being anything other than structure related. Our forwards have struggled, we dont have depth. Miers would be an option for me if they believe he is ready. If not I am understanding of what we're trying to build.

18 goals in 16 VFL games doesn't exactly fill me with confidence in his goalkicking ability

For comparison Jones has 11 from 8, Buzza has 18 from 12 and Narkle had 9 from 6

So in terms of VFL goals per game Narkle and Buzza have 1.5, Jones has 1.375, Miers 1.125

Miers also played the JLT, kicking one goal from the two games.
Yup. It’s Rd 22. No more experimenting and trying kids with mediocre records. Especially another small forward.....our small forwards suck!!!!!
Just pick the best bloody team......and Miers is not in the best 22

Constable is a midfielder. Who does he come in for when none of our midfielders are in the bottom 6/10.
We're blessed that Danger, Kelly and Ablett can rest forward. Can Constable? Serious question as I haven't seen it in the few VFL games I've seen.

I simply dont buy into any of the talk of "favourites" or team selection being anything other than structure related. Our forwards have struggled, we dont have depth. Miers would be an option for me if they believe he is ready. If not I am understanding of what we're trying to build.

Play Constable for Fogarty. See ball get ball and find a teammate will definitely surpass fogarty's 5 possessions effort
And also midfield chopout for Gaz and Menegola. I reckon 15/20 possessions easy for the kid.

I don’t disapprove of GHS at all. That’s why I put his name up......I know others here think he’s too slow, but I think hes very good in close, and is a good decision maker, which negates his lack of foot speed to a certain extent. He’s also a good reader of play, which our other small forwards aren’t, .......and he’s a strong mark.
He’s ahead of all the kids imo.
He (or Constable) could easily take Scott Selwoods role. Be an inside midfielder like Tom Mitchell. Allow guys like Danger and Selwood to seagull a little bit and be fresh for when its their turn...

He personally enjoys destroying players by playing them out of position...

Or the player, the coach and team make sacrifices to plug holes created by injury...

Which do you think is correct?

There is plugging holes and there is destroying team balance, for instance in no way shape or form should Henry be played in the ruck when we have Blicavs (who has played as a ruck for years) sitting in the backline, why was Danger, our best midfielder also playing ruck at certain times when we had other people more qualified to do the job? You can believe what you want but the fact these stupid moves keep happening makes me think Scott is guessing/hoping the moves come off and can make him look like a genius so he can use them again later down the track, Danger forward is also another thing he has gotten carried away with because it worked wonders once.....ONCE a year ago!!!

There is plugging holes and there is destroying team balance, for instance in no way shape or form should Henry be played in the ruck when we have Blicavs (who has played as a ruck for years) sitting in the backline, why was Danger, our best midfielder also playing ruck at certain times when we had other people more qualified to do the job? You can believe what you want but the fact these stupid moves keep happening makes me think Scott is guessing/hoping the moves come off and can make him look like a genius so he can use them again later down the track, Danger forward is also another thing he has gotten carried away with because it worked wonders once.....ONCE a year ago!!!

Mate, it's not like playstation. The game is fluid and the players make decisions during the game too. The coach doesn't just press a button and Danger runs up and rucks. Danger is a competitive beast who probably thought that he could do the job as stop gap while Stanley was having a breather.

Henry has played ruck as a Junior and perhaps they wanted to see how he'd go. The second it failed, the swapped Blitz and rejigged the backline. It took halftime to organise this - as you move one player and everything else on the ground changes.

Mate, it's not like playstation. The game is fluid and the players make decisions during the game too. The coach doesn't just press a button and Danger runs up and rucks. Danger is a competitive beast who probably thought that he could do the job as stop gap while Stanley was having a breather.

Henry has played ruck as a Junior and perhaps they wanted to see how he'd go. The second it failed, the swapped Blitz and rejigged the backline. It took halftime to organise this - as you move one player and everything else on the ground changes.

At least the playstation picks the best available team :p

Or the player, the coach and team make sacrifices to plug holes created by injury...

You left out the ‘coach is incompetent’ option

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You left out the ‘coach is incompetent’ option

Fair enough to have a real crack at the coach, given how our year might end.

But, if you truly believe it is plausible to suggest the coach is incompetent, that means every other coach in the history of the game is also entirely incapable.

People will continue to smash his finals record. Where he's going at less than 50%.

But his overall record (given his longevity) is the best in the game's history. Incompetence simply cannot produce such an outcome over such a sustained period of scrutiny.

And Longmire (who I imagine gets a sizeable tick from many Scott detractors) is only just over 50% in all his finals coached. And, just like our coach, has one flag to his name (despite qualifying for three GF's).

I do entirely understand some posters here want to hammer Scott for all his supposed failings.

But to play the incompetence card doesn't do claims of objectivity or balance in the analysis any good whatsoever.

From today's paper:

D73F1963-8A3F-46A0-AE5D-387C6F14B1FE.jpeg

The output of 6 of our small/medium forwards from this year - Parfitt is a lock, Narkle is showing enough to keep his spot, but then it becomes a bit more unknown between the 4 listed as all clearly have their flaws.

So is it just a toss of the coin hoping that whoever is picked performs on the day, while acknowledging that they will be in our bottom 6 - and that while we may criticise ones selection, the player they replaced wasn't necessarily streets ahead of them?

He (or Constable) could easily take Scott Selwoods role. Be an inside midfielder like Tom Mitchell. Allow guys like Danger and Selwood to seagull a little bit and be fresh for when its their turn...

Might be worth seeing what Constable has to offer or play Kelly/Menegola more as inside mids and as you say allow Danger and Ablett to be receivers rather than extractors.
Team that up with 2 rucks and see how we go :)
The other interesting thoughts are Ablett and Duncan playing more in the back half and relying on their delivery to set us up - Duncan was electric coming off the back of the square a few weeks ago and Ablett was supreme off half back in the 3rd 1/4 v Eagles all those weeks ago. Maybe that's a finals change up?
Problem is we've only 2 weeks to experiment but maybe that's what is needed - can't see us getting it done on the current structure though and Stanley needs to be rested until Finals ( if we get there)

Fair enough to have a real crack at the coach, given how our year might end.

But, if you truly believe it is plausible to suggest the coach is incompetent, that means every other coach in the history of the game is also entirely incapable.

People will continue to smash his finals record. Where he's going at less than 50%.

But his overall record (given his longevity) is the best in the game's history. Incompetence simply cannot produce such an outcome over such a sustained period of scrutiny.

And Longmire (who I imagine gets a sizeable tick from many Scott detractors) is only just over 50% in all his finals coached. And, just like our coach, has one flag to his name (despite qualifying for three GF's).

I do entirely understand some posters here want to hammer Scott for all his supposed failings.

But to play the incompetence card doesn't do claims of objectivity or balance in the analysis any good whatsoever.
Lol wat?
His finals record speaks for itself. It’s disastrous.
As for comparing him to other coaches, the difference is Scott never learns.
Look at all the predictable patterns
*losing after a bye
*dropping important games regularly
*continually picking failed players
*an inability to make moves during a game
*predictable and dated game plan

I could go on.....but I can’t be assed. The sooner Scott disappears off into the sunset, the better off, we as a club will be.

His H&A record means nothing. Propped up by a strong playing group and home ground advantage. How many games does he actually win when ‘it matters’.

Another thing, how many players have actually developed or gotten better under Scott? I’m not talking about giving blokes like Parsons free games, that’s not development.
How many players are actually better players now than when they first arrived at the club?

KPIs which to measure Scott’s ‘competence’

List strength =fail
Game plan = fail
Win / Loss record = pass
Finals record = fail
Player development = fail
Ability to influence games during diversity = fail
Ability to motivate players = fail.

Scott is incompetent by every measure but 1. We will backwards even further next year under him, then backwards de again the year after.

Last edited:
From today's paper:

View attachment 543071

The output of 6 of our small/medium forwards from this year - Parfitt is a lock, Narkle is showing enough to keep his spot, but then it becomes a bit more unknown between the 4 listed as all clearly have their flaws.

So is it just a toss of the coin hoping that whoever is picked performs on the day, while acknowledging that they will be in our bottom 6 - and that while we may criticise ones selection, the player they replaced wasn't necessarily streets ahead of them?

A very solid outline of our small forward woes right there. Parf and Narkle clearly up to it, with nobody else demanding a spot at all.

Probably gone at the end of the season, I know. But surely Murda could just about produce the numbers of the 'bottom four' if reinstated for the rest of this campaign...

Lol wat?
His finals record speaks for itself. It’s disastrous.
As for comparing him to other coaches, the difference is Scott never learns.
Look at all the predictable patterns
*losing after a bye
*dropping important games regularly
*continually picking failed players
*an inability to make moves during a game
*predictable and dated game plan

I could go on.....but I can’t be assed. The sooner Scott disappears off into the sunset, the better off, we as a club will be.

But who's on the coaching market, that is proven and is good enough to replace him? I think it's wise to upgrade, not take a blind stab at getting someone in.

His H&A record means nothing. Propped up by a strong playing group and home ground advantage. How many games does he actually win when ‘it matters’.

Another thing, how many players have actually developed or gotten better under Scott? I’m not talking about giving blokes like Parsons free games, that’s not development.
How many players are actually better players now than when they first arrived at the club?

A lot of players have improved under Scott. Blitz would be the most obvious.

A very solid outline of our small forward woes right there. Parf and Narkle clearly up to it, with nobody else demanding a spot at all.

Probably gone at the end of the season, I know. But surely Murda could just about produce the numbers of the 'bottom four' if reinstated for the rest of this campaign...

This ^. Why we don't pick senior players who are clearly better than the young guys will be the legacy of this post-Thompson era. We keep picking guys in the wild hopes that they are "the answer", but our more senior guys clearly deserve a run more.

Henry is a 19yo first year player 191cm and 92 kgs,I wound't need 2 seconds to work out how that would go,In a blink of an eye it should have been Blits in to the ruck and Henry down back.The game had got away from Scott and his assistants before they started to steady the ship.

Last edited:
From today's paper:

View attachment 543071

Good lord that table says it all.

Every single one of them “average” or “below average” for goals per game. And it’s worth noting that our perma-crocks McCarthy and Cockatoo also go at only a goal a game or less.

I think it's a bit of both. The common sense approach never seems to be the way the cats go. Rather try for the tricky fix. Many of us suggested playing both Stanley and Abbott against the Hawks given they were down their best ruckman, Abbott had a good debut and Stanley coming back from injury. Stanley goes down, Henry shifted to ruck, we leak goals. Seriously frustrating. At least move Blitz straight to ruck and Henry back. Again that's the common sense approach but they wait until Henry is getting slaughtered to make the move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back