Roast The club is bigger than the individual

Remove this Banner Ad

I want to cancel my membership and get a new one because the guy who sits behind me is a ****wit and I'm not sure how much more I can take before I turn around and belt him, does that count?

Say hi to me next time

I think many of us vent on Bigfooty. But no way i would not renew the 4 memberships i get for my family. It has been a difficult last 4 years....but we must continue to turn up and support

I agree, we all vent on Bigfooty but I think everyone on here will continue to support the club.

But attending does get tiring. Watching port consistently fail in the same manner for 4 years is the emotional equivalent to getting punched in the face every week.

There are die hard supporters on here and they’ll probably keep copping the punch in the face, but 10s of thousands of the less enthusiastic will not.

The club is bigger than the individual. But the club cannot expect 40,000 to rock up regardless of performance.

I admit I'm struggling this year, but Ill still be there next year.
Even though we were absolute s**t 2008-2011 I did not feel the angst I feel at the moment, i guess back then the expectations were really low anyway.

2 weeks into the off season and Ill be gagging for some footy (as will most of us)
Some players and staff need a ******* big boot up the date when the end of year review is done and we have to get out of the mindset we have as a club.

As supporters we take the turds with the truffles - its just for the last 4 years we have a lot of turds and * all truffles..

I admit I'm struggling this year, but Ill still be there next year.
Even though we were absolute s**t 2008-2011 I did not feel the angst I feel at the moment, i guess back then the expectations were really low anyway.

2 weeks into the off season and Ill be gagging for some footy (as will most of us)
Some players and staff need a ******* big boot up the date when the end of year review is done and we have to get out of the mindset we have as a club.

As supporters we take the turds with the truffles - its just for the last 4 years we have a lot of turds and **** all truffles..

liked, for "turds with the truffles"

I wish I didn’t have such brilliant seats... would be heaps easier to throw in the towel!!

I’ll still keep my membership but that doesn’t mean I need to be like a AFC fan and expect the club to be a unicorn rainbow factory either.

Our club has problems and our current state of affairs is almost entirely the clubs fault, who demands change if not us?

This is an avenue to share our thoughts on that with people who actually give a s**t. So I’ll continue to do that I think

Can’t have it both ways ie “be more engaged, highest membership satisfaction everer thanks for the cashola but please no criticism of any sort we know it all youre just air headed footy numpties “...

Understand the sentiment though

I want to cancel my membership and get a new one because the guy who sits behind me is a ****wit and I'm not sure how much more I can take before I turn around and belt him, does that count?

The night I met Dylan8 and he came up and sat in our seats was the night we propelled Richmond on their journey to the flag last year, despite us looking comfortable most of the game.

As we were folding like a house of cards I snapped and had the melt of melts.

This guy two rows in front of us who resembles Hans Moleman turned around and told me to "go and support the Crows", at which point I stood up and launched into a sermon about how we accept mediocrity too easily and whatever verbal rampage about whatever.

Poor Dylan, with a lifetime record of 1-for-1, assumed this was a regular occurrence and prefers to watch from a paddleboat on the Torrens whenever he ventures over now.

The night I met Dylan8 and he came up and sat in our seats was the night we propelled Richmond on their journey to the flag last year, despite us looking comfortable most of the game.

As we were folding like a house of cards I snapped and had the melt of melts.

This guy two rows in front of us who resembles Hans Moleman turned around and told me to "go and support the Crows", at which point I stood up and launched into a sermon about how we accept mediocrity too easily and whatever verbal rampage about whatever.

Poor Dylan, with a lifetime record of 1-for-1, assumed this was a regular occurrence and prefers to watch from a paddleboat on the Torrens whenever he ventures over now.
images

Yeah I think that’s what I’m saying. The numbers of rusted ons who renew every year doesn’t fluctuate much (RussellEbertHandball ????) so our number of ”microwavers” is fairly low.
93% of 11 gamers from 2017 renewed in 2018 according to Matt Richardson when the AFL released the audited numbers last week. 2nd only to Richmond.

I agree with the thought behind the thread. I can't comprehend that someone would ditch a membership. I can understand not wanting to attend, as it is emotionally exhausting, but I couldn't ever stop supporting my club.

Personally I just came home a month ago from my honeymoon through Europe. We were 4-3 when I left, and besides the Eagles smashing us the day I hopped on a plane to Egypt, the last game I saw live was the emotionally sapping loss to Geelong which had me feeling like I needed a break.

While I was away the club went 7-1.

I came back thinking "here we go, we've arrived". Even though the only game I got to watch, in full, completely live, was the loss to the Hawks.

Since then we've gone 1-4. We haven't arrived.

So while I've been in Australia we are 5-7. While I was away we are 7-1.

So for me I 100% feel like I need a break from this team. I'm sick of them pissing away opportunities, and I'm sick of watching us do the same crap over and over. So again, I completely understand all the deserved negativity the team is getting, and I remain bitter and twisted myself because of what I've seen. However no matter what I'd never ditch a membership, jump ship or stop supporting my club.

I was going to blame you for the failed season until I realised we were cursed from the moment the Ports cap experiment failed.

I am getting a bit sick already of all the people throwing in the towel and wanting to throw away their memberships and seemingly encouraging others to do the same.

The club is bigger than the individuals.

I am in no way an apologist for the individuals at our club may well have failed this year (I will wait til the end of the year to do my review) but I have been a Port member my entire life and that is not going to change any time soon.

I will still be here supporting the club both emotionally and financially for as long as there is a PAFC and I will keep agitating for change until we are holding the cup aloft again.

And I know that the victory will be all the sweeter for it, just like it was in 2004.

This club needs your support, we are not a massive financial behemoth. We need all our members to 'live the creed', agitate from the inside not from outside, and make sure we return to where we belong.

HTFU.
I am guilty of saying I will quit. I admit that and I am ashamed and sorry.
I paid additional dollars without a second thought when they requested the additional months membership to help them out. I have just ordered 12 of the Port lottery tickets, but I still feel uninspired to renew next year. It feels like hitting my head against a brick wall.
I have always been one to stick by the club, have only missed one game when I gave my seats away to friends so have not been a culprit in the falling attendances but it is getting bloody hard to continue to financially support a club that stuffs up time and time again and has the most uninspiring game plan in the league.
Re- signing Voss has just about done me in this time.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yep agree.

Its been disappointing yes. But to put some perspective on it.

If the Houston/Dixon collision didn't happen and if the score review worked properly, we would be on 14 wins and in the top 4.

Game of inches, these things happen unfortunately.

It’s o.k if it happens some times, but seriously we have been mentally week since Ken arrived.

We have pulled the occasional rabbit out the hat but we seem to loose the seemingly unloosable time and time again.You can sit there waiting for the punchline, the sick joke that has become us. we have taken the place of Richmond of the club you see there supporters, point and laugh.

We are now a club compared to the likes of Melbourne and St Kilda and that is not the PAFC I grew up with and fell in love with.

We have become so predictable we can’t even loose with dignity.

So yes I will by my membership next year, but will I rock up week after week to be tortured by this coaching group ?

I doubt it.

Last edited:
I have always had a Port Adelaide membership plus or minus season tickets since I was a young adult. This is the first year since I have had children that I have purchased a game day membership for myself and eldest daughter. I will always maintain my club membership regardless but will likely get a 3 game season ticket next year, as I can not foresee much changing for season 2019. I am really hoping that I am wrong, but tbh I do not feel like pissing away as much money as I have this season when it seems as though mediocrity is acceptable and there is seemingly no accountability for a wasted season.

I think too, it's important to qualify that it's not just about wins and losses.

You can wear losses when you're building, learning, fixing your mistakes. You can wear losses when you're nil or little chance regardless.

But sweet semen on a spoiled sofa, the losses where we've been prohibitive favourites. Or 50/50's at home. Or where we've held considerable leads, or defensible leads with little time left.

How many of those have we lost? 20? 30? Honestly. It's a shitload. And it keeps happening again and again and again. To Essendon. To Geelong. To Adelaide. To West Coast. To bloody anyone if we don't execute this 'concede 60/score 80' gameplan perfectly.

Unacceptable.

We are all here because we love the club and want the club to be as successful as it can be. We have opinions some more popular than others and we might say stupid s**t we don't mean but it's because we are ******* passionate and proud of it.

Everyone loves the club, that's not in question, bare in mind that's where most people are speaking from, is their passion for the club. I doubt many if any of the hardcore posters and members are going to give up their membership, it won't happen.

But we are allowed to be angry with how the club is going, angry with the same old, same old loss, the same missed opportunities, which started in 2014 which is forgotten by most because we nearly got there, and looked good doing it, and the fact we have made three finals series since 2007. Winning a whopping what 3 finals in that time off the top of my head. That's not good enough, and never will be, not at Port Adelaide, until this era. That's what is frustrating us all, we can all see it.

Then our coach says the same old, same old dribble after the same thing always happens, with little to no change occuring, then the club shat the bed and gave Hinkley a undeserved contract extension.

Surely none of that satisfies any supporter/member.

I love the club, and will always be a member and support it, but I'm getting fed up with ground hog day.

I will still be here supporting the club both emotionally and financially for as long as there is a PAFC and I will keep agitating for change until we are holding the cup aloft again.
Literally the only way you can affect change as a supporter is by not giving the club money.

The last time supporters walked away worked out pretty well for us. Much better than if we sold out AAMI every weekend.

My general view on this is that you should be part of the solution rather than part of the problem. People who withdraw their financial support and/or their attendance at games just become a small part of the problem. Don't be that guy.

Pulling your financial support via not renewing membership may sound like it would give the club a 'wake up call' but it would also limit their options for making change. Don't drop the support. Work out other ways to make your voice heard.

That being said, my interest in AFL is waning very rapidly.
It seems to me that we are a club of no importance to the AFL, located in a region of no importance to the AFL.
Too many things have occurred over the last 5 years for there to be any other conclusion.

This season for me personally has been a slog. Even watching games feels like a chore.
If I didn't have kids who are keen, I probably would have dropped off completely by now.

I am getting a bit sick already of all the people throwing in the towel and wanting to throw away their memberships and seemingly encouraging others to do the same.

The club is bigger than the individuals.

I am in no way an apologist for the individuals at our club may well have failed this year (I will wait til the end of the year to do my review) but I have been a Port member my entire life and that is not going to change any time soon.

And I know that the victory will be all the sweeter for it, just like it was in 2004.

This club needs your support, we are not a massive financial behemoth. We need all our members to 'live the creed', agitate from the inside not from outside, and make sure we return to where we belong.

HTFU.
How many people are throwing in the towel? name names.

Was there? I remember the line being drawn in the sand every week but I'm not sure what else you're referring to.

Probably 2010 onwards. Chocco gone. Guernsey changed. AO move. Duncanson and Haysman out. Koch and KT in. Primus out. The results were dire but there was always movement behind the scenes, central to our football operations.

Now, we have China and some other goodwill stuff that may not ever eventuate. The football goes along with little to no questions.

Literally the only way you can affect change as a supporter is by not giving the club money.

The last time supporters walked away worked out pretty well for us. Much better than if we sold out AAMI every weekend.

While I appreciate the sentiment, this is not really true at all and we're still recovering from the impact of "the last time".

Had we sold out aami every week, or even just managed to pull mid 30k on average, we would be much closer to complete financial independence and sustainable success. We also wouldn't have ended up with the Primus/skype/IT guy coaching set up in the first place.

Honestly, if we get back to mid to low 20k crowds, I don't think there'd be a way back a second time. The gil led AFL certainly wouldn't support the club anywhere near as much as the demetriou regime. Don't forget, we couldn't even land a joint major sponsor this year!

If you're really that dissatisfied but love the club, buy your membership and find other ways to make your point...write to the club with your concerns as a member, turn up to the AGM and ask questions, etc. Hell even make a 'Sack Ken' banner or organise a mass walk out at half time or something.

Plenty of ways to get your message across to the club without jeopardizing its long term viability.

Realistically the best case scenario from here is that we can pay Ken out 18 months early... and for that to happen we need to be in a strong financial position.

Probably 2010 onwards. Chocco gone. Guernsey changed. AO move. Duncanson and Haysman out. Koch and KT in. Primus out. The results were dire but there was always movement behind the scenes, central to our football operations.

Now, we have China and some other goodwill stuff that may not ever eventuate. The football goes along with little to no questions.

Chocco gone shortly after being re-signed = blunder
Haysman's position made untenable due to pressure from sanfl
KT reccomended by the sanfl

mmm accountability?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back