Roast Umpires rigging the competition.

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
We have an autopsy thread and the goings on of that particular game should be discussed there. Personally I can't believe there isn't a thread devoted to this already. So here goes.

I don't normally talk about umpires because there is nothing you can do about it, but this one has shaken me to the core of my interest in the sport. I love the cats but what is the point if the competition is rigged before you start?

I have never seen a game of football where the umpires were so blatantly biased and instrumental in determining the result. Granted we lost by 5 goals and they outplayed us. But I can think of 2 plays where an abominably bad and inconsistent umpiring calls resulted in a 12 point play. And then there was the play where it was apparently okay to come in late and hold Selwood down by the head with your knee after he's taken the mark. That must simply be a rule change right?

So there you go, there's your 30 points. It doesn't win us the game, but it would have made it a contest at least worth pursuing.
There you go I've said my piece.

Found it interesting that just as we got on a role, got the ball forward, Toms about to have a shot, the ball gets taken away for a soft free. Killed all momentum.
Yep, Selwood shouldn't have done it. but there were two demons on him and he gets the free against.

I've always thought that there shouldn't be any reversal of a kick after something like that. It should be a ball up. The current possession and new free kick cancel each other out.

The cats were atrocious but the demons conversion kept us in it. In the end, the umpiring wasn’t the deciding factor but it definitely was favouring the demons and it did ensure the cats couldn’t give them a scare. It was laugh out loud stuff at times...where you’d think something was clear cut, but then the demons would be paid the free.

However, I would have been embarrassed if the cats stole that game.

I really hope the dees can kick better next week and beyond.

That Selwood free. So Selwood tackles a player high way off the ball. A free is paid. 2 seconds later Selwood is then taken high in retaliation. No free paid. Is there a retaliation time allowance and if so, how long? 5 seconds? 10?

And as for those saying we should've got pumped. I was lucky enough to have missed the 1st quarter so from my point of view it was a pretty even contest. 18 to 14 scoring shots after quarter time. Thought we had some chances. Just fix those 1st quarters.

If last night's umpiring ever again shakes you to the core, or moves you to write about it on bigfooty on twitter, you are wrong. Or belong on Bay13. Or Go watch Adelaide v Fitzroy 1993.

We had slightly the better of the umpiring last night.

I still laugh that people still think the AFL doesn’t influence the game and instruct the umpires to try and give an advantage to the team they are backing

It was clear as daylight in the first qtr, you would have to be borderline mentally impaired not to see how bias the umpires were.

It’s nearly WWE level of script these days

im not sure this thread is needed.

I get the angst and there were poor decisions but the club has far greater mountains to climb than complain about a few dubious decisions.

Did they help us - * no they didnt - but it didnt really alter the outcome of the game.

GO Catters

The game is not run properly.
Selwood is going off the ground and has to be pushed and shoved.
Happens throughout the game day in day out.

Why do they not take this sort of crap out of the game. They worry about the game image. This does not happen in other sports eg soccer, tennis, cricket, etc During the play is one thing but off the ball is another

THe AFL is crap but the game is great

Umpire blaming ay? Lol. What an embarassing topic. Would be about number 7,648 on the list of things that led to our pathetic capitulation last night. How about we wake up and worry about what's within our control?

Normally my attitude too Sim Dog. :(

I have never blamed the umpires for a loss. But it was clear that the 2 teams were playing to different rules and we were not given the memo pre-game.

If last night's umpiring ever again shakes you to the core, or moves you to write about it on bigfooty on twitter, you are wrong. Or belong on Bay13. Or Go watch Adelaide v Fitzroy 1993.

We had slightly the better of the umpiring last night.

Seems we are furious disagreement Joe. It can't see it shaking me again tbh. I'm saying my piece, then I'll probably just leave. It's not entertaining when you know the result is rigged.

Meh you win some you lose some. Couple of harsh 50 50s in Q1, but bad luck.

Must admit I didn't realise that Tracksuit Pants was allowed to instruct the umpires to pay a free. If that is the case, it's fair to feel aggrieved that we cop the first for the year (that I'm aware of), in a final, whilst shooting for goal when the game is still up for grabs.

Thousands worse have been let go this year. Geelong v Carlton game comes to mind.

Wouldn't say it's rigging the competition, but the inconsistency in interpretation is what does my head in. Hardly surprising though since 3/4 of the rule book is up to personal interpretation.

The thing that annoys me though is how the umpires want the player with the ball to play on within 7 seconds, but someone can sit on a player or delay in giving the ball back for longer than that and not get marched back 50m. Of course it's smart play by the person doing it if they can get away with it, but the simple thing is they shouldn't.

Example was McDonald hits blitz with an elbow on the head no free in front of umpire but Selsy gets pinged for his head high

Back