The absolute state of Channel 7 commentary

Remove this Banner Ad

Can I ask how old you are? Have you heard him across his career or just the last 10-20 years? He absolutely IS a legendary sports commentator. He is easily the most studied, knowledgable commentator across a wider array of sports than anyone else I've seen. Sure he's getting near the end too, but he has earnt his current status and standing more than most of these clowns.

I'm 34 and used to love Bruce's work back in the 90s. He was the king. Unfortunately the poster you quoted has it spot on.

His commentary these days consists of:
-homoerotic growls and moans
-repeating the same word several times in a row
-making a comment in the form of a question ending with "ay?"
-lately, he's taken to replacing the word "the" with "that" e.g. off that step, down that line, on that left

There was another thread on BF a while ago with a post i loved and i copied it into my notes.
Here it is. I dont recall the poster but they nailed it.
————
As a general comment, I don’t think you should blame the individual commentators for any of this, but rather blame Channel 7.

It’s like if someone always has their dog s**t on your front lawn. Who do you blame in that situation? The dog, or the person holding the lead? BT, Ling, Darcy, Basil- all of them are just dogs shitting on us week in week out because that’s what Channel 7 want them to do. We can get angry at the dog all we want, but dogs can always be replaced. If you actually want to stop being served s**t you need to go after the man with the lead.

There was another thread on BF a while ago with a post i loved and i copied it into my notes.
Here it is. I dont recall the poster but they nailed it.
————
As a general comment, I don’t think you should blame the individual commentators for any of this, but rather blame Channel 7.

It’s like if someone always has their dog s**t on your front lawn. Who do you blame in that situation? The dog, or the person holding the lead? BT, Ling, Darcy, Basil- all of them are just dogs shitting on us week in week out because that’s what Channel 7 want them to do. We can get angry at the dog all we want, but dogs can always be replaced. If you actually want to stop being served s**t you need to go after the man with the lead.
That may be the best thing I've ever read on BF.

Update- is HD football broadcast in Dolby 5.1 surround sound?
If so it is likely you can remove the commentary stream by simply muting the centre channel.
Works on ESPN apparently.

https://consumerist.com/2006/12/09/howto-remove-annoying-announcers-from-sports/

Interesting to note that in researching this there is a lot of loathing in USA for basketball and NFL commentary.
Surely they can't be worse than Ch. 7?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. Roaming Brian was funny for about five minutes when BT took a few people by surprise or ended up in unusual places like the umpires room. Now it's just the exact same crap every week. Other than the odd player who is auditioning for a media gig the rest very clearly don't enjoy BT basically taking the piss out of them.

Roaming Brian was funny and became popular because of how big of a train wreck it really was. Well for me anyway... I was never watching and thinking 'this is entertaining' more 'I can't believe the network that paid a billion dollars to cover the game thinks this is worth anybody's time'.

The entertainment factor was only ever going to be brief. Now it'll be years before 7 work out nobody gives a stuff about it

Channel 7 presents for your viewing pleasure the Prelim Finals commentators oh and there is a game of Aussie Rules on as well

FINALS FORECAST

Richmond v Collingwood, Friday, September 21 at the MCG, 7:50pm AEST MCG

Partly cloudy. Five per cent chance of any rain.
Min 8. Max 18.
Tickets: Exhausted, other than 13,000 MCC walk ups. https://www.ptv.vic.gov.au/
Channel 7 commentators: Bruce McAvaney, Brian Taylor, Wayne Carey, Cameron Ling, Daisy Pearce, Matthew Richardson

West Coast v Melbourne, Saturday, September 22 at Optus Stadium, 1:20pm AWST

Partly cloudy. 20 per cent chance of any rain.
Min 12. Max 26.
Tickets: Exhaustedhttps://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/
Channel 7 commentators: Luke Darcy, James Brayshaw, Matthew Richardson, Peter Bell

Channel 7 presents for your viewing pleasure the Prelim Finals commentators oh and there is a game of Aussie Rules on as well

FINALS FORECAST

Richmond v Collingwood, Friday, September 21 at the MCG, 7:50pm AEST MCG

Partly cloudy. Five per cent chance of any rain.
Min 8. Max 18.
Tickets: Exhausted, other than 13,000 MCC walk ups.
Channel 7 commentators: Bruce McAvaney, Brian Taylor, Wayne Carey, Cameron Ling, Daisy Pearce, Matthew Richardson

Nice. 3 guys already doing special comments and we'll still get Bruce telling us that we're getting the feeling that Collingwood really need to get a goal here :rolleyes:

Kind of Channel 7 related, but this is the state of AFL commentary.

In the past 24 hours we've seen:

1. Neil Mitchell run with a story about a "campaign" by Melbourne supporters to buy tickets and not attend the game to stamp our Eagles crowd influence. One person suggested it as a joke on a Facebook supporter group, Nuffies On AFL Pages picked it up, Mitchell ran with it as a huge story, and then talkback in Perth went with it, prompted Eagles supporters to hyperventilate. Embarrassing stuff.

2. Dennis Cometti on Triple M Footy says Melbourne can't win against the Eagles because our "weakest" area is where West Coast is strongest: our defense is among the weakest in the league and West Coast has the strongest forward line.

• Melbourne is first in scoring
  • The average score against since round 16 is 69.3, ranked 1st.
Does anyone do any research anymore?

Luke Darcy is insufferable.

I cannot stand the way he fanboys over a number of players. When Goldsack came back in the first week of finals, it was unbearable listening to Darce blowing his load over him. He got so involved with his fairytale comeback narrative that it didn't really matter what Goldsack did because it was going to be the best thing ever. On a number of West Coast forward drives, some balls were miskicked basically straight to him but Darce carried on like he was intercepting balls he had no right to intercept because he was just coming back from an injury.

Whenever one his his chosen fanboy players does something good, you can hear him let out a little laugh and from then, you just know he's winding up into one of his 30 second wankfests. It's so painful knowing that it's coming.

I can just imagine him sitting in the commentary box and then sticking his arms out as to say to his fellow commentators, "hold on for a minute guys, this really needs to be said". Then with a massive smile on his face and a shake of the head to signify disbelief at what he's just witnessed, he launches into something like, "Awww, ha, I'll tell you what, awww, Steele Sidebottom... gee... hawww, ha, he is such a brilliant player.... the way he attacks the ball and the way he uses it... geee.... haha... you'd love to play alongside that man."

Just the ******* tone of it. Like he finds it hilarious at how good his player is; almost as if they're taking the piss out of all the other hacks on the field. He says it so slow and matter-of-factly too and he often cuts off another commentator so he can do it like it's so ******* important.

Speed already has every Aussie sports commentator covered for global notoriety with this effort.

Shame Harper had to talk and ruin it.

One of the best bits of this and the earlier Premier League video is that they let the crowd noise come through. Because there is only two in the box the can celebrate the goal and then let the actual game/crowd atmosphere come through for a few seconds.

Again I'd love the option to just have the crowd noise with the umpires mics coming through.

One of the best bits of this and the earlier Premier League video is that they let the crowd noise come through. Because there is only two in the box the can celebrate the goal and then let the actual game/crowd atmosphere come through for a few seconds.

Again I'd love the option to just have the crowd noise with the umpires mics coming through.

You lost me right there.

Darcy - His play by play voice is terrible. Is on delay almost. Arrogant as they come.
Richo - Waffles on about the simplest, inane points but I'm supposed to give him a free pass because he's not an arrogant ass like Darcy, Carey etc
Ling - Even worse than Richo. Everything is the best ever. His crush on Petracca who comes and goes in and out of games is nauseating
BT - Went on Open Mike earlier this year and said there aren't enough personalities in the game. So saying players names in a "funny" way makes them a personality now. And he chooses guys like "Uhhhlloyd" and Big Boy who are vanilla players. Make sense
Bruce - You just get the feeling he's done, hey? Yet a done Bruce is still the best they have
Carey - Plastic face, terrible human being, terrible takes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back