The absolute state of Channel 7 commentary

Remove this Banner Ad

Darcy - His play by play voice is terrible. Is on delay almost. Arrogant as they come.
Richo - Waffles on about the simplest, inane points but I'm supposed to give him a free pass because he's not an arrogant ass like Darcy, Carey etc
Ling - Even worse than Richo. Everything is the best ever. His crush on Petracca who comes and goes in and out of games is nauseating
BT - Went on Open Mike earlier this year and said there aren't enough personalities in the game. So saying players names in a "funny" way makes them a personality now. And he chooses guys like "Uhhhlloyd" and Big Boy who are vanilla players. Make sense
Bruce - You just get the feeling he's done, hey? Yet a done Bruce is still the best they have
Carey - Plastic face, terrible human being, terrible takes.
Dermott - Freo V North game spent 15 minutes talking about Cyril Rioli. Somehow manages to highjack every game to be a Hawthorn commentary. It's infuriating.

Dermott - Freo V North game spent 15 minutes talking about Cyril Rioli. Somehow manages to highjack every game to be a Hawthorn commentary. It's infuriating.

If you swapped Dermott & Dwayne Russell with Carey & Brayshaw, you would have almost the perfect commentary team on Fox Footy and everyone's worst nightmare on Channel 7.

I said this on the fourth estate board, but the Ch 7 commentary would be much better if they did a few things:

- Got rid of BT, Basil, Hame, Darcy, Ling and Daisy completely
- Put Bruce on one game a week (I'm not as irritated by him as some on here)
- Make JB x 2 (Bennett and Brayshaw) the lead commentators
- Get some new blood with their play by plays, such as a Leigh Montagna
- Use Carey and Bartel as the main special comments guys, maybe get someone else in.
- Richo and Jude can be the lead boundary riders, use Bell in WA and Soders in SA

Friday night: Brayshaw, Montagna, Bartel/Carey/someone else, Richo (or Bell/Soders)
Saturday night: Bennett, Brayshaw, Bartel, Jude
Sunday: Bruce, Bennett, Carey, Richo

Then in the weeks with four games, use Montagna and one of the JB's

Last edited:
My ideal Friday night line up:

Michael Shillito
Jeff Corfe
Daniel Williams
Joan Chappell/ Gypsy
Troy West

Special comments: Daisy Pearce*

*Green headband giants fan
aka "Joffa"
Yelled at by Michael O'loughlin
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-...od-tigers-more-than-just-a-footy-team/8835606

aka "Catman"... aka "Tigerman"

http://beyondthegame.tv/catman-now-tigerman/

Is this Daniel Williams bloke still around? I often look out for him when they show the Eagles cheersquad, but I never see him there.

Whinge whinge whinge. You are already detached from the rest of the country so geographically cut yourself away if you hate the rest of us so much.
We will replace you with Fitzroy and everyone will rejoice.

If there was one team being thrown up to be replaced by Fitzroy , it’ll be your shithouse club hahaha

Still wonder if Ch 7 might show some sense and put Tim Lane on their footy commentary, now that he's doing cricket for them
Loved the 10 commentary team. Lane, Quartermain, Hudson and Christian were actually natural commentators.

Whilst the old man waffle of Walls and Blight was annoying at times, they could actually provide decent analysis and were a good contrast to Lane and co. Lingy, Richo and Carey had great playing careers, but are very poor at coming up with any insights above and beyond that of the average punter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The calling of nick names from all the commentators for players like Buddy, Dusty, Poopy, Roughy etc.. instead of the actual names is so unprofessional. Not in a million years will you see any soccer commentator or American sports commentators do this.
How the Leagues allows them to get away with it is beyond me, through doesn't surprise me with Gil the dill in charge. Want to know why the ratings are down look at your own professionalism channel 7 its more like amateur league calling in fact they would probably do a better job than BT or Basil.

That's just plain wrong though.
Brazilian soccer players are almost exclusively called by a nickname. LeBron James is often called the King during commentary, "Magic" Johnson is never called Earvin, Shaq always called Shaq, David Ortiz i often called Big Papi or Papi

Loved the 10 commentary team. Lane, Quartermain, Hudson and Christian were actually natural commentators.

Whilst the old man waffle of Walls and Blight was annoying at times, they could actually provide decent analysis and were a good contrast to Lane and co. Lingy, Richo and Carey had great playing careers, but are very poor at coming up with any insights above and beyond that of the average punter.

Carey is much better than Walls.

Walls is so bitter that you can never take him seriously. A real wet blanket on the broadcast.

I liked Huddo and Walls together on 10, Huddo would always take little pot shots at Walls without him knowing.

Darcy and Basil are just horrible. Darcy got pumped up way too quickly for his work on channel 10 where he wasn't as bad and it went straight to his head. Basil is an embarrassment to WA. Sunrise suits him.
JB is a much better footy caller than cricket. Maybe it is just because he is with Darcy who just sucks so much.
Richo is harmless but not great.
Ling is pretty harmless, but can be annoying. A Tom Harley clone on commentary.
BT can be funny, but not when its during the play.

I am a WC supporter, so will park what I felt was a shockingly one sided call, cheerleading for Collingwood in week 1 of the finals. I don't think it was my bias, but am willing to accept that interpretation.

But last night was absolutely abysmal. Even maniacal Collingwood supporters on Reddit and Twitter have commented that it was spoiling the game, and switched to SEN for audio, both due to sheer below par calling and the fact it was intolerably one sided.

Luke Darcy was the worst offender, it is shockingly unprofessional and spoils the experience when you don't just focus on one team, but openly barrack for that side. I've honestly heard Eddie put up a better pretence at neutrality.The few times Richo had the guts to say point out a contentious free or non-call, Darcy would just rush in over the top of him, and change the subject, or go on long winded superlative filled praise sessions, which are the kind of thing you save for a game that's over and when a player has been exceptional. Not at the cost of covering the match. Finally, the complete absence of excitement, enthusiasm and commentary, when GWS had the run of play.

It honestly ruins a match and whenever a 7 commentary team are doing the calling, I just mute the game.

Yeah I don't think it's just ch7 or just Victorians for that matter, fox footy have their own culprits not to mention all the radio stations. Being in Perth you'd swear Kim Hagdorn believes that anything victorian is purely evil and should be discarded from society. Karl Langdon I believe still works for the club in some way so no conflict of interest there! (hello Eddie!)

Mark Riccuito is known for his dislike for anything that is outside sa, Soders has also been known to barrack with his boundary riding comments i:e there is more of a disappointed tone in his voice if there is a home town injury on game night.

I wonder why Bas wasn't calling the game, he's west aussie......... oh that's right he's got it in for wc and their culture (what a load of diatribe that interview was!)

I get the sentiment of this post and have to agree, but if you listen to any 6pr or 5aa call at home you can't deny there's just as much barracking for the home team as there was for the Pies this week and last week.

Brazilian soccer players are almost exclusively called by a nickname. LeBron James is often called the King during commentary, "Magic" Johnson is never called Earvin, Shaq always called Shaq, David Ortiz i often called Big Papi or Papi

I don't watch Basketball so I'll take your word on that they certainly don't do it in the NHL or the NFL as far as I know. As for Brazilian soccer players well... their names are so long that they have to shorten them in order to pronounce it right, its not a nick name just a shorten version of their actual name.

In most cases you've given they are actual nicknames the player themselves have cultivated.

You think Ben McAvoy insists on being called Big Boy?

That Orazio Fantasia orders a coffee as hoooooooraaatzzio!

Etc

It's so embarrassing and amateur.

I don't mind hearing exactly what they have called, or if they are trying to call touched/play on/not 15, etc. I don't need the commentators telling me what the call should or shouldnt be, but I dont mind hearing the actual decision
When I go to games live I take along a pair of these, they allow you to hear the umpire mics during the quarter.
Gives you a good insight as to what is going on out there because you get to hear the players along with the umpires explaining why they paid what they did as well as how they communicate with each other
afl-premium-sportsears_29531.jpg

In most cases you've given they are actual nicknames the player themselves have cultivated.

You think Ben McAvoy insists on being called Big Boy?

That Orazio Fantasia orders a coffee as hoooooooraaatzzio!

Etc

It's so embarrassing and amateur.
Didn't Orazio come out and state that BT has been saying his last name wrong and BT's response was oh well I'll keep saying it how I want

I am 28, but still remember Bruce growing up and have watched most Grand Finals from the 90s on DVD/VHS. I was only 10 when the Sydney Olympics were on and did watch live, but have also re-watched footage from the games (ie. Freeman 400m) on YouTube if you're questioning my credibility. I have never found him to be anything remarkable honestly and felt he was always in Cometti's shadow whenever those two teamed up together.

I enjoy commentary from Hudson, Brayshaw, Bennett, Papalia, Speed, Carey, Nick Riewoldt, Dunstall & Dal Santo right now, but I would also have no issue calling any of those guys out if their standards slipped. I certainly don't feel locked into "Team Hudson" for life or anything just because I get nostalgic about his Nick Davis 2005 Semi Final call.

I honestly think you need to take the emotion out of it and assess things objectively - 2010s Bruce is not doing a great job. I respect that you have your own opinion, but he irritates me and many others more than any other caller.

No need to bring others into it. Rule 101 of having a discussion/disagreement. And I don't 'need' to do those things you said I do, at all. Anyway, it's not about your credibility at all. It's about the respect of a bloke I've heard calling sport for my whole life who has simply been a cut above. I've already acknowledged he's not great ATM, and that he's probably had his time, but this is a generational issue, in terms of how people feel/think. I think you've made your opinion abundantly clear, but not everyone agrees.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back