Once again we have a higher ranked team playing away gf - solution:

Remove this Banner Ad

How’s that Collingwood or AFL’s fault Richmond weren’t good enough?

Like I said, the Prelims should be played on the Same day because there is no guarantee that the higher team will get through.

Am I blaming Collingwood ? No, I just think it's BS.

if it's no advantage at all, why not all finals at the MCG? big crowds 4 all

no one is saying it's not possible to win in melbourne, teams fly to perth/adelaide/sydney/brisbane and win too. but there is *some* advantage that has been unearned by Vic clubs for four consecutive years now
The week 1 to 3 is about enabling the higher ranked fans getting access to the tickets...to again fill the grounds.

As if you play WC v GWS in a semi final at the G...it would be half empty.

Playing it in the home state of the higher ranked team guarantees the biggest crowds...which is what the AFL is all about. It is why Etihad tenants don’t play games at Etihad, Sydney had to host the Giants at ANZ stadium instead of the SCG and Geelong always coming up the road.

You don’t ‘earn’ a home ground game during week 1-3, it is a commercial decision to allow games to be played at the best venue in the state to maximise crowds.

But come GF day the biggest crowd will be at the G.

But the big advantage that non-vic teams then get is a guaranteed home advantage in weeks 1-3, making it easier for them to actually qualify for the GF.

Richmond finished minor premier, and their reward was a QF against Hawthorn who are another MCG tenant. Then a PF against Collingwood, another MCG tenant...they didn’t have 90% crowd support and a huge advantage like the Eagles received.

Perhaps the higher ranked team fans in Melbourne games should get ALL the tickets...to make it similar to the advantage WC enjoys!?

The week 1 to 3 is about enabling the higher ranked fans getting access to the tickets...to again fill the grounds.

Playing it in the home state of the higher ranked team guarantees the biggest crowds...which is what the AFL is all about.

But come GF day the biggest crowd will be at the G.

But the big advantage that non-vic teams then get is a guaranteed home advantage in weeks 1-3, making it easier for them to actually qualify for the GF.

Richmond finished minor premier, and their reward was a QF against Hawthorn who are another MCG tenant. Then a PF against Collingwood, another MCG tenant...they didn’t have 90% crowd support and a huge advantage like the Eagles received.

Perhaps the higher ranked team fans in Melbourne games should get ALL the tickets...to make it similar to the advantage WC enjoys!?

Almost true. But last year the Giants hosted the Eagles in a final and got 14,000. A bigger crowd would definitely have occurred at Subiaco, and probably even at the G given some MCC and AFL members would have come along. Your point about the lesser chance of Vic teams getting an advantage during the finals is true - if they play another Vic team they get the LED signage in their colours and that's about it. Geelong or one of the Docklands team could 'host' a final against an MCG team on the 'away' team's ground.

But basically, is the MCG Grand Final and advantage to Vic teams? Yes. Is anything going to be done about it soon? No. Move on.

Playing it in the home state of the higher ranked team guarantees the biggest crowds...which is what the AFL is all about. It is why Etihad tenants don’t play games at Etihad, Sydney had to host the Giants at ANZ stadium instead of the SCG and Geelong always coming up the road.

Imagine advocating for the AFL's nonsense money making stuff over a competition. Honestly.

But to follow this logic - if GWS won a home prelim against Richmond, why not play it at the MCG? 90k v 15k - no brainer

What I don’t agree with is Collingwood gets a 2nd chance against West Coast.

West Coast finishes higher on the ladder, defeats Collingwood in a final, now Collingwood has a chance to beat West Coast in the Grand Final.

Almost true. But last year the Giants hosted the Eagles in a final and got 14,000. A bigger crowd would definitely have occurred at Subiaco, and probably even at the G given some MCC and AFL members would have come along. Your point about the lesser chance of Vic teams getting an advantage during the finals is true - if they play another Vic team they get the LED signage in their colours and that's about it. Geelong or one of the Docklands team could 'host' a final against an MCG team on the 'away' team's ground.

But basically, is the MCG Grand Final and advantage to Vic teams? Yes. Is anything going to be done about it soon? No. Move on.
Yeah most games will draw bigger crowds at the G.

Hence why finals were always played there (and Waverley when it was up and running).

But there are instances when you would get a bigger crowd playing in the home state over MCG, so that became the decision for minor rounds.

Then the AFL chooses the stadium they deem most suitable in that state...so the Swans didn’t always get their finals at home at the SCG.

It is just that WA and SA fans only have one stadium, so they always get a massive advantage that other states don’t receive in week 1-3....the trade-off being they head east for the GF.

Too many threads like this is changing my view on who to barrack for. How many are on the main board now?

Almost want to see West Coast slaughtered on the G and I like their brand too but gee wiz there are some whingers in their supporter base

Ah welcome back, how was your sabbatical?

The MCG is actually the most neutral ground for all teams and the fairest place to play the GF. Don’t know why people just can’t accept this fact and stop moaning.
WC had two home finals with a massive home crowd advantage.

It’s a VFL comp with guests invited.

We all know it so let’s just get on with it all live our footy loving lives.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine advocating for the AFL's nonsense money making stuff over a competition. Honestly.

But to follow this logic - if GWS won a home prelim against Richmond, why not play it at the MCG? 90k v 15k - no brainer
You do understand what finals are for??

Back in VFL days, we had a pure H&A season where each team played each other twice. The ladder was a perfect reflection of who the best team was.

But....The league wanted to make more $$$ so introduces finals, not played at the home suburban grounds, but played at the G to make the most $$$$.

They were a huge success, and the league made a shitload of $$$$

I thought we banned people for making these threads now?

My apologies. Considering less than 1% of my posts have been on the main page, I didn't know I wasn't allowed to make a thread like this.

I was trying to be inclusive. Guess not. Guess I will just stay in my place.

The MCG is actually the most neutral ground for all teams and the fairest place to play the GF. Don’t know why people just can’t accept this fact and stop moaning.

The definition of a neutral ground is one where none of the teams participating are tenants

Therefore the mcg is the LEAST neutral ground as there is the most chances of a tenant meeting a non tenant - which unsurprisingly happens rather often

Keep up victorians

Agreed.
Excepting the VFL/guests line

Remove this Banner Ad

Back