Mega Thread 2018 Trade Period Discussion part 2! (cont. in Part 3 - link in OP)

What are we going to do??

• 4 picks 21 and under? Back in Hamish!

Votes: 74 67.9%
  • Trade up! We’re getting Lukosius / Rankine / Rozee!!!

Votes: 35 32.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if 6 is gettable for 8 and 21. It gets us one of rankine rozee luko or smith. Assuming king goes at 4 that is.

Brisbane won't care that much as its just going to freo. It seems the only clubs willing to trade top 7 picks are those that aren't going to use them.
Once that pick gets to GC, I reckon it could be. According to a poster a few pages back, GC are keen on Caldwell, and you’d think he’d still be available at 8.

IMO it’d be worth it to get one of those four.

Also, hilarious how it sounds that all the action is about to go down now, rather than during the prime time end of the trade period
I wouldn't worry too much, they've had 2 weeks practice waxing lyrical and sounding important while nothing is actually happening at all.

I'm in stitches!

Not a true supporter.. just stop!

I've been a member of the club since inception, hell I even worked for the club once upon a time. I've made friendships with past coaches, players, recruiters and bootstrappers. I've followed my club all over the country, spent more money doing it than most people spend on property. I've slept on the street for days on end through pouring rain just to get a ticket to our biggest games.

I've been there through all the highs and the lows.

It's the deluded pessimistic scum like you, who forever chastise the club despite our consistently punching above our weight, who give a bad name to supporters.

You sit there in your arm chair hurling abuse at an organisation who started with nothing, and have tirelessly worked as a team to become not only a feared and respected opponent or a financial pillar in the sport, but a beacon for all that is great in South Australia.

You don't have any ******* right to be so petulantly impatient. Clubs have waited 40+ years to win flags at the elite level, while their true supporters have stuck by them all along, and you sit there complaining that the little South Aussie club who started out of a tin ******* shed has not become the AFL powerhouse you feel we should be - despite being not so subtly ****** over by our Victorian neighbours for decades.

You make me sick.

Generally agree - but the dude is twelve, thirteen max, and just parrots what the cool kids say. Not an independent thought in his puny mind at this point in his development.

Polec & Wingard are many things, but trash is not one of them. Both finished in the top 6 in their B&F, and are 2 of the best 3 or 4 ball movers in their side. Port will severely lack run through the middle next year as these guys have been replaced in the 22 with a ruckman, a defender with injury concerns and a Brisbane reject, plus the draft picks which should be good. Certainly short term pain coming for them
Yes I wasn't specific enough. Polec and Wingard were the disharmony, and Pittard certainly was the trash.

I'm in stitches!

Not a true supporter.. just stop!

I've been a member of the club since inception, hell I even worked for the club once upon a time. I've made friendships with past coaches, players, recruiters and bootstrappers. I've followed my club all over the country, spent more money doing it than most people spend on property. I've slept on the street for days on end through pouring rain just to get a ticket to our biggest games.

I've been there through all the highs and the lows.

It's the deluded pessimistic scum like you, who forever chastise the club despite our consistently punching above our weight, who give a bad name to supporters.

You sit there in your arm chair hurling abuse at an organisation who started with nothing, and have tirelessly worked as a team to become not only a feared and respected opponent or a financial pillar in the sport, but a beacon for all that is great in South Australia.

You don't have any ******* right to be so petulantly impatient. Clubs have waited 40+ years to win flags at the elite level, while their true supporters have stuck by them all along, and you sit there complaining that the little South Aussie club who started out of a tin ******* shed has not become the AFL powerhouse you feel we should be - despite being not so subtly ****** over by our Victorian neighbours for decades.

You make me sick.
Oh Bravo, beautifully said.

We've been tracking Rozee and Luko in particular since U/15. We will have been preparing for this particular draft for years.

If people think we are done with 6 weeks still to run and we won't be throwing the kitchen sink at this - they've got rocks in their head.

I agree with what you've said in theory but the reality is that we don't have a big enough or shinny enough sink to throw anywhere, except maybe at the Saints pick, for there to be a realistic chance of trading up.

If GC are set on 2 particular players why would they even consider giving away 2 & 3 when keeping those picks guarantees they get who they want and they have a heap more picks to play with as well.
If we wait till draft night to move up we'll need to give away the whole house not just the kitchen sink to even have an outside chance.

If we keep our current hand I don't see we get any of the SA trio, and if we don't and we've been tracking and preparing for this draft for years then that would be a fail.

Hope I'm wrong and you're right but at this stage I think it points more to us missing the boat on the SA lads.

I believe 1,2&3 are locked away. And 4 will cost us 8, 13 & 16. Or our 2019 first. Won’t happen.

5 was getable.
Last gettable top-5 pick. Now I understand where you're coming from.

I wasn't sure if that was what you meant, or if you were referring to Pick #94 (the last pick listed in the AFL's "Indicative Draft Order"). Pick #94 is the last pick in R5, but there may be clubs making selections in R6, R7 or even R8.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe 1,2&3 are locked away. And 4 will cost us 8, 13 & 16. Or our 2019 first. Won’t happen.

5 was getable.
And you know that how? Again, if we wanted pick 5, we would've had it. Either we are happy with our current hand or we will have pick 2 ,3 or 4.

Yes I wasn't specific enough. Polec and Wingard were the disharmony, and Pittard certainly was the trash.
None of which changes they were both good contributors in 2018.
2018 John Cahill Medal top 10
1. Justin Westhoff 179 votes
2. Tom Jonas and Ollie Wines 162
4. Robbie Gray 152
5. Jared Polec 151
6. Chad Wingard 143
7. Darcy Byrne-Jones 139
8. Dan Houston 131
9. Travis Boak 126
10. Tom Clurey 110

Port have 5 we don't want 6

we want 2 or 3 or both.
2 or 3 willl be hard to get now without paying a lot.

Port will be just as keen

we have 8, 13, 16, 21
they have 5, 10, 15, hombsch (who reportedly will end up at GC)

I feel their hand shades ours so we would essentially have to give an extra pick since their picks are slightly better plus have the player GC want (if that is true) to sweeten any deal.

Whatever we are prepared to offer they could beat and then we would have to stump up a lot to give a deal Port wouldnt match

Depends if we want 3, 16 and 21 (and a sure bet at someone like Rankine) or 6, 13 and 16 (and a very likely chance of getting one of Smith/Rankine/Rozee, probably Smith)

I'd prefer the latter
club probably goes for the latter if they truly rate Smith above Rankine as some suggest (and are happy to also factor in go home factor into that).

Unless we think Luko slips past 2, then it is essentially

Rankine, 16, 21 vs Smith, 13, 16
(or potentially smith as the payer either way but just weaker picks to come after him)

2 or 3 willl be hard to get now without paying a lot.

Port will be just as keen

we have 8, 13, 16, 21
they have 5, 10, 15, hombsch (who reportedly will end up at GC)

I feel their hand shades ours so we would essentially have to give an extra pick since their picks are slightly better plus have the player GC want (if that is true) to sweeten any deal.

Whatever we are prepared to offer they could beat and then we would have to stump up a lot to give a deal Port wouldnt match

yes but we have Hamish

1. Justin Westhoff 179 votes 32
2. Tom Jonas and Ollie Wines 162 28 and 24
4. Robbie Gray 152 31
5. Jared Polec 151
6. Chad Wingard 143
7. Darcy Byrne-Jones 139 23
8. Dan Houston 131 21
9. Travis Boak 126 30
10. Tom Clurey 11025

Bolded the players (that are left) ages at Round 1.

If you've got Westhoff, Jonas, Gray and Boak all about to fall off a cliff (to say nothing of Dixon and Ryder) while losing your best 25 year-olds outside Wines it's not a good sign.

1. Justin Westhoff 179 votes
2. Tom Jonas and Ollie Wines 162
4. Robbie Gray 152
5. Jared Polec 151
6. Chad Wingard 143
7. Darcy Byrne-Jones 139
8. Dan Houston 131
9. Travis Boak 126
10. Tom Clurey 110
Well yes again. **** Bigfooty, you can't say anything on here without it being misconstrued.

Yes they were both good contributors, and port will miss that kind of input, but they were also the centre of the latest disharmony at Port. Getting rid of that is a good thing for any team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back