Australian Cricket Broadcast Rights 2018 - 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

There was a long period where the only guest commentators were from England or New Zealand for some reason but before about 2005 and after McNamara left 9 seemed far more open to having guest commentators around the world.

There was a long period where the only guest commentators were from England or New Zealand for some reason but before about 2005 and after McNamara left 9 seemed far more open to having guest commentators around the world.

Yeah I remember Shaun Pollock was denied. Wasn't a race thing. Don't know what it was?
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...h/news-story/1f89f22560ade73617cfd93a0dc5d7c2

NINE’S STRAIGHT BAT TO POLLOCK

Channel Nine has knocked back the opportunity to use South Africa’s cricket legend Shaun Pollock for the one-dayers and T20 games. The Super Sport TV network in South Arica is taking Nine’s coverage and offered to pay for Pollock’s airfares, accommodation and wages to get a local feel into the broadcast. Nine said thanks, but no thanks.

Last edited:
Michael Holding commentated a fair bit on channel 9, i think Sunil Gavaskar commentated back in the 90's,

I remember Gavaskar commentated for 9 in India's 1999/2000 tour. Then he went nuts and basically racially vilifies Australia at any given opportunity. Can't see him ever setting foot in the country again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watch the outrage online and on talkback on Sunday from a fair percentage of the population who have not studied the details of the new TV deal, and are unaware that onedayers in Australia are now no longer on free to air. :D

Watch the outrage online and on talkback on Sunday from a fair percentage of the population who have not studied the details of the new TV deal, and are unaware that onedayers in Australia are now no longer on free to air. :D
It was the biggest failure of the deal. Will kill the remaining interest in ODIs.

Trent Copeland added to the 7 commentary team, ehh

He’s pretty knowledgeable.

He’s from my town (his little brother will in all likelihood a) end up a better player and b) remain the last ever first grade wicket I take around here) and I’ve interviewed him a lot. He speaks very well, has a good general knowledge of overseas sides which automatically puts him ahead of 90 per cent of Australian commentators, and he’s generally a sports nuffy full stop. He’s a freak at fantasy sports by all accounts (doesn’t mean he is going to be a great commentator obviously but at least it indicates that he’s pretty dedicated to a high level of research and dedication when it comes to sport).

I had largely forgotten about this until i read buzz Rothfield mention this in his column last Sunday.

Sunday's ODI will surely be the 1st time Australia's mens cricket team will play an international match in Australia and it won't be shown live on free to air for about 4 decades.

Interestingly channel 7 will show women's white ball internationals but none of the men's white ball internationals

When people have been getting something (home ODIs) free for decades, they won't be happy when a price is arbitrarily added.

When people have been getting something (home ODIs) free for decades, they won't be happy when a price is arbitrarily added.
Sure. I was more referring to the fact that the info has been out for around 6 months and some people will be oblivious to it.

Absolutely...it's a complete **** you to that form of the game. I personally would have watched just about every knacker bowled with my kids but I'm not paying for it
It shouldn't have been allowed to happen, these games are meant to be on the anti siphon list but this corrupt government is so in thrall to the Dirty Digger that they changed the rules to suit him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back