Game Day AFL Draft Day Discussion - Pick 1 - 70

Remove this Banner Ad

Tomorrow teams have 5 minutes to select but can choose to select a player at any stage in that 5 minute period
Will be much quicker at stages
It only dragged out tonight because its literally set up for 5 minutes allocation per player in the 1st Round.

So...Williams, Koschitzke, Idun, Sprague, Bytel, Fort, McKenzie, Reynolds and of course Brownless all in the mix......
Not sure we need Idun.

We have a lot of those mid sized defenders on the list now - Stewart, Henry, Kolo, Zuthrie, Guthrie, Bews, O'Connor, Irish Lad no2, Clark... That's 9 players.

We need a Menzel type (probably Gown), or Key Defender (+195cm), or a young Ruck/Key Forward (Williams).

Its actually not a strong year for Key Defenders - last year we should've taken Sam Taylor as Key Position Defender.

Brownless will add some more size, as we have a lot of 177-182 type younger mids.

Phantom Draft First Round (Cal Twomey):
  1. Correct
  2. Correct
  3. Correct
  4. Correct
  5. Correct
  6. Correct
  7. Correct
  8. SYD: Nick Blakey - Wrong, Went Pick 10 (Same Club Though)
  9. NM: Tarryn Thomas - Wrong, Went Pick 8 (Same Club Though)
  10. ADEL: Jye Caldwell - Wrong, Went Pick 11
  11. GWS: Jackson Hately - Wrong, Went Pick 14 (Same Club Though)
  12. PA: Jordan Clark - Wrong, Went Pick 15
  13. GWS: Riley Collier-Dawkins - Wrong, Went Pick 20
  14. GEEL: Chayce Jones - Wrong, Went Pick 9
  15. COLL: Isaac Quaynor - Wrong, Went Pick 13
  16. ADEL: Zak Butters - Wrong, Went Pick 12
  17. FREM: Ian Hill - Wrong, Will Go Second Round
  18. Correct
  19. ADEL: Ned McHenry - Wrong, Went Pick 16 (Same Club Though)
  20. RICH: Liam Stocker - Wrong, Went Pick 19
  21. Correct
  22. GWS: Sam Sturt - Wrong, Went Pick 17 (GWS picked Xavier O’Halloran at Pick 22)
9/22
Impressive
Are you giving us a Buckenara success rate too

Not just Scott...they all looked like Cats that got the cream.....!!

Look he seems like a good character kid and i reckon he's the second best kick in the draft after Rankine. So a good fit for a side like us that has heaps of workers but lacks polish. That said i don't rate this draft as much as some i think pick 15 in other years is worth a lot more but i'm happy with the pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not much higher than that, no.

Crows have a lot of players on the edge so I don't think it is a given that they jump back up the ladder.

I don't think it will turn out as bad for Carlton as people think it will.

who is going to finish 15th-18th to push Carlton up? Their list is awful.

They must think they are pretty close to turning it around and want the extra mid.

Curnow and McKay up forward looked like a good combo moving forward.

Weitering and Marchbank stock fell this year but they have talent down back.

They have just picked up Walsh and Stocker to add to say Cripps, Murphy, Fisher in the middle.

Maybe they can have a bit of a jump next year.

I think they will be better than GC and St Kilda at least.

Maybe Adelaide miss the eight again and it is not so bad.
Should definitely improve with McGovern, Curnow, McKay, Fasolo Pickett up forward
Murphy, Cripps, Dow, Walsh, Stocker, Petrevski Seton in the middle
Their backline is a developing one, but they have some good potential too. Especially with Docherty back to take the pressure off Simpson.

Definitely improving

Last edited:
Might get him as a rookie?

Rookie surely. Assuming most of the highly rated academy guys are gone I'd really like Joyce and Kennerley or Stack in the 40s and Brownless in the 60s. Although my gut feel is we take at least one mature ager (maybe rookie).

Should definitely improve with McGovern, Curnow, McKay, Fasolo Pickett up forward
There backline is a developing one, but they have some good potential too. Especially with Docherty back to take the pressure off Simpson.

Definitely improving

Their midfield is crap.

Suns
Saints
Dockers

Are the only teams I can see blues finishing higher than.

The other 2 maybe. Even Freo have a better list than Carlton. What was SOS thinking?

The more I think about this, the more I would prefer Bailey Williams instead of Gown.

I think Williams could develop into Key Defender, Ruck or Key Forward. Lots of options with him, especially at Pick 44!

We need a talented fwd. The best available is Curtis Taylor by the length of the Flemington straight. Highly skilled direct Menzel, Steve J, Caddy type player.

He won't be there at those double picks so we would need to do something. He's in the other huge hole we have as a team. Pure midsize fwd with craft, marking ability and lethal skills. We have literally 3 actual fwds on the list. It's embarrassing the imbalance. If he's still around in 6 picks time then I'd try and swap next yrs second.

If Joyce and Williams were around at the double pick then that would cap off a great draft. Esp with Brownless as a last pick.

There backline is a developing one, but they have some good potential too. Especially with Docherty back to take the pressure off Simpson.

Definitely improving
I'm not sure if Cripp's back can handle that anymore

Remove this Banner Ad

Back