Analysis Best 22 for 2019?

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel a lot of you are in for a shock that don’t have Macmillan and McDonald as locks.

McDonald couldn’t have played worse last year and was never dropped.

Macmillan is now a senior leader.

Agreed, however, we've literally added 4 x best 22 contenders.

None of which play in the forward line. (Hall potentially off of half forward, but all news out of North is he will be run through the midfield).

Some players will have to make way.

Some people have Pittard starting in the VFL, yet his numbers last year were very similar to McDonalds.

I think that 1 x position is very much between those two and could come down to NAB Cup form.

Got a lot of depth now
Locks in bold: 10

B: Williams McKay Daw
HB: McDonald Tarrant EVW
C: Tyson Hall Polec
HF: Garner Wood Ziebell
F: Simpkin Brown Turner
R: Goldy Higgins Cunners
I: Jacobs Dumont Ahern and 1 of Zurhaar/Wilkinson/Jed

Depth Zurhaar/Wilkinson/Jed, LDU, Hrovat, Thompson, Pittard, Macmillan, Murphy, Atley, Wright, Walker

Those 11 in depth will play games, that’s a solid group of 33 in total

Leaves Durdin, Larkey, TT, Scott, Crocker, Taylor, Xerri, Hayden, McKenzie and Watson to develop
And Red OG cat b rookie

Could see durds, larks, TT and maybe even Hayden sneak a game from the above group

And a spare list spot which I assume will be filled by a ruckman soon
Can't see McDonald or Turner in our best side and both happen to play at the same time that means we have plenty of injuries Pittard we start at half back why get a bloke by trade and leave him in the VFL.

Lots of positive talk on here which is great. I just checked the odds. We r 12th in line for premiership, top4 and top8 betting so we r actually expected to go down the ladder this year according to the punters.
They are the Andrew Bolt's of the football world. It is a safe bet to do exactly the opposite of what they say will happen; and hey presto. Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

I don’t want to step on The Ziebull’s toes here but Macmillan is a below average defender, and if we are dead set next year should find his way out of the side
On what basis is he a below average defender? His 1v1 contested loss rate is slightly better than league average, and he's above average for intercept marks and intercept possessions, above average for disposals, effective disposals, metres gained, I50s, R50s, and score launches. Number of tackles made are average (not below average) in a backline that generally doesn't tackle enough. True, the publicly available stats don't show effective tackle rate and that's one area he's often potted for.

And then there's the leadership and smarts. He's a good player. People are still hating on him for that one time he got outbodied by Swan in the goal square.

I would have thought he has played plenty of youngsters over the past 3-4 years. Simpkin, Walker, LMac, Ahern.... List goes on!

I saw a graphic on draft night that last years draftees at north played the second or third fewest games last year. And I’m confident we’d be bottom quartile for the few years before as well.

On what basis is he a below average defender? His 1v1 contested loss rate is slightly better than league average, and he's above average for intercept marks and intercept possessions, above average for disposals, effective disposals, metres gained, I50s, R50s, and score launches. Number of tackles made are average (not below average) in a backline that generally doesn't tackle enough. True, the publicly available stats don't show effective tackle rate and that's one area he's often potted for.

And then there's the leadership and smarts. He's a good player. People are still hating on him for that one time he got outbodied by Swan in the goal square.
try more recent where macmillan let Ronke destroy him and ultimately us losing a close one

or every game where he loses one on ones or misses tackles

Team is looking good with depth and options for most positions.
I think our 2 most important players will be Goldy and Brown as they seem to be the 2 players that we would least be able to cover if they got injured. An injury free year for those 2 and I’m confident we can play finals.

I saw a graphic on draft night that last years draftees at north played the second or third fewest games last year. And I’m confident we’d be bottom quartile for the few years before as well.

Yeah and we won 10 games when everyone thought we wld win 2
And the previous lot weren’t much chop so we gave them the boot
Mountford hibberd etc just not good enuf
Criticize the drafting, not playing em in the 1s was a Good Thing

I was thinking McKay & Thompson were competing for the same spot, but now I think it might be McKay & Majak, with
Thompson competing with EVW & Wright
nah Id go with McKay and Tarrant taking the keys
Maj going 3rd up

thompson break in case of emergency otherwise vfl after his suspension or form drop to the above

I was thinking McKay & Thompson were competing for the same spot, but now I think it might be McKay & Majak, with
Thompson competing with EVW & Wright

I think there's a spot for both McKay and Majak. We still haven't got a replacement for Waite, they won't be like for like but I don't think we can have Brown as a single tall long term. Personally I'm torn. I love the idea of McKay out of the forward line but I think it is a lot to ask and I suspect that Majak is more physically and mentally ready right now to take that role. Of course, we have the whole pre season to test out McKay either way...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah and we won 10 games when everyone thought we wld win 2
And the previous lot weren’t much chop so we gave them the boot
Mountford hibberd etc just not good enuf
Criticize the drafting, not playing em in the 1s was a Good Thing
If there is one thing we know about Brad Scott it's that he doesn't gift games (which I support). In saying that, sometimes I feel like he plays favorites a little too much, but he's getting better at rewarding effort (e.g. Walker getting games last year despite being a beanpole)

I think there's a spot for both McKay and Majak. We still haven't got a replacement for Waite, they won't be like for like but I don't think we can have Brown as a single tall long term. Personally I'm torn. I love the idea of McKay out of the forward line but I think it is a lot to ask and I suspect that Majak is more physically and mentally ready right now to take that role. Of course, we have the whole pre season to test out McKay either way...
Do we know if Mckay is being trained as a forward this pre-season?

I love the idea of McKay forward, swapping (or swinging nttawwt) with Maj. Just spit balling.

McKay the deepest forward with Brown roaming would work well IMO.

Gives us a power marking forward on both lines.

I like it too, just not sure if he's going to be ready for when we next area as a team. The last 3 premiers and our approach to this off season suggests that we see an outside opportunity this year and are expecting to be right in it come 2020. If McKay is more ready for CHB this year then maybe that's the way to go. He's very young, even if he played an apprenticeship in the backline for 3-4 years he'd still be able to have almost the same length of career as a forward that Brown will...

I like it too, just not sure if he's going to be ready for when we next area as a team. The last 3 premiers and our approach to this off season suggests that we see an outside opportunity this year and are expecting to be right in it come 2020. If McKay is more ready for CHB this year then maybe that's the way to go. He's very young, even if he played an apprenticeship in the backline for 3-4 years he'd still be able to have almost the same length of career as a forward that Brown will...

Using his time trial result, I'd love for us to plonk him forward and say 'just blow up your defender and jump at everything.'

Not many teams have two key defenders that can play on 200cm forwards.

Especially now that numbers are even from a centre clearance.

Using his time trial result, I'd love for us to plonk him forward and say 'just blow up your defender and jump at everything.'

Not many teams have two key defenders that can play on 200cm forwards.

Especially now that numbers are even from a centre clearance.

Can't say I'd complain about that. I'm honestly happy either way with what they do but my view is, pretty firmly, that barring injury Majak and McKay need to be mainstays of the team in 2019. It might be that rotating the two of them is viable but I tend to think a young guy coming in should have a bit more stability of role rather than swapping each week. (Talking about McKay here). Majak is also a very reliable kick for goal... not sure on McKay at this stage.

I do not envy the selection committee one iota. Going to be tough to pick a side round 1, but this is what I think it might look like.
Near misses:
- LDU: I would have him in over Tyson but feel like Tyson will get the nod
- Pittard: Would prefer him over JMAC but won't happen (will probably be EVW who doesn't get picked)

FB Williams Mckay Macmillan
HB McDonald Daw Tarrant
C Polec Cunnington Dumont
HF Anderson Wood Ziebell
FF Simpkin Brown Atley
Foll Goldstein Jacobs Higgins
I/C EVW Ahern Tyson
Hall

Remove this Banner Ad

Back