Analysis 2019 List Management Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soapy, do you see Cuningham as a bit of a utility for us down the track? I see you have him listed on each line here.

Needs to cement a position first but awesome if one day be could be used on each line as required: linking up and setting up play off HB, tag or one day find his own ball in the middle or playing as a defensive fwd or off a hff?

I keep mentioning him as I really like the kid and just hope he gets an injury free run at it next year. Has things to work on but also the potential to be best 22 IMO.

I'm just not sure where he will play yet. He could easily be part of a rotation through HB/Wing/HF.

I think most of us believe he has the ability but he hasn't had a good run with injury and played different spots. Needs to be involved more. I don't see him as an elite type player but could be very good. Next year he needs to start showing something

I'm just not sure where he will play yet. He could easily be part of a rotation through HB/Wing/HF.

I think most of us believe he has the ability but he hasn't had a good run with injury and played different spots. Needs to be involved more. I don't see him as an elite type player but could be very good. Next year he needs to start showing something

Yeah, not sure if he’s a confidence player but just sense if he can find the ball a bit more he could really flourish. Cheers!

Darcy Tucker comes out of contract at the end of 2019.

With the likes of Blakely, Langdon, Wilson and Conca, I'm hoping he gets pushed out of the senior side and we make a play to get him.
If he doesn't break out this year you can have him, might be still young but hasn't improved since his debut year despite being stronger and more experienced. Just goes missing for too much time

Dreaming, at some stage you need to start focusing on retention. All those very talented youngsters are going to start demanding reasonable pay cheques, sooner rather than later if you improve at the rate you all keep talking up.

Maybe but I got it from the same Carlton person who said we never stopped chasing Setterfield from the day he was drafted. We are doing the same with Cerra & Kelly. A lot of our younger players are already signed to long deals. We will be fine. Much like Geelong in their hay day. We are in a great position, will keep improving and are now run by smart people.

Retention isn't an issue and if it becomes one it's because players are missing out on our flags

Good Luck in 2019 :thumbsu:

Dreaming, at some stage you need to start focusing on retention. All those very talented youngsters are going to start demanding reasonable pay cheques, sooner rather than later if you improve at the rate you all keep talking up.

Like players not willing to take unders, to keep a core group strong, Cats, Hawks

How's Lachie Neale going???? How is his pre season form?

Touchy subject I see, sorry for intruding. Good luck on the new year :)

Not touchy at all. We just like facts over innuendo. Actually quite an intelligent bunch on Carlton Bigfooty.

We will wave as we pass you up the ladder. ;) Appreciate your input

PS When I player like Neale (who I rate highly) leaves the club to go to Brisbane (and he's from Melbourne) something is not right.

Last edited:
Not touchy at all. We just like facts over innuendo. Actually quite an intelligent bunch on Carlton Bigfooty.

We will wave as we pass you up the ladder. ;) Appreciate your input

Cut em some slack mate …. they never got over Pav retiring ……. poor souls. Plus do you know what its like competing in a TWO team Capital City …. FMD … harsh … harsh …….

Cut em some slack mate …. they never got over Pav retiring ……. poor souls. Plus do you know what its like competing in a TWO team Capital City …. FMD … harsh … harsh …….

I still can't believe we never got Pavlich. Numerous times I was told we were into him and he was coming but it never eventuated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still can't believe we never got Pavlich. Numerous times I was told we were into him and he was coming but it never eventuated.

Maybe we could recruit him now as a CHF forward coach??

You seem to be unaware that the club has worked with a complete focus for two years on retention of the good young uns with early contract extensions. It's the reason we've been cycling through some pretty mediocre (but cheap) slightly older players who were never going to be long term propositions.

I wouldn't blame you for not knowing of De Koning, who was extended with a pay rise BEFORE making his senior debut. You will hear about him though. Some in the Club rate him above Harry MacKay and equal to Charlie Curnow.

If he doesn't break out this year you can have him, might be still young but hasn't improved since his debut year despite being stronger and more experienced. Just goes missing for too much time

He's a good decision maker, has a really nice kick and is a good runner. Clubs are always looking to add players with these attributes.

The thing with Tucker is he has played a handful of elite games at the top level. Having seen his potential, supporters will want him to perform to this standard week in week out. The reality is most players don't hit their prime and develop that sort of consistency in their game until they're 25-26.

For what it's worth, I can't see Fremantle trading him. I would love for CFC to trade for him because he would be the perfect replacement for Simpson. Very underrated in my opinion.

Correct.

One player that should be interesting to watch this year is Weiters. Has come back from the break in terrific condition. Looks very lean, but powerful and strong.

JW1.jpg

One thing Dale Amos kept impressing upon Weitering during the match sims was follow up and make himself an option once he'd disposed of the ball to a team mate. To be pro-active after disposing of the ball to create and influence the play. With his elite kicking, it's not hard to see why they want Weitering to be more influential and damaging.

JW2.jpg
All photos by yours truly.

It'll be interesting to see if Marchbank and/or Plowman become injured for any significant period of time if Bolton goes with Jones & Macreadie as the KPDs and returns Weitering to that 3rd tall intercept defender, a position he played with such aplomb in his first year.

One player that should be interesting to watch this year is Weiters. Has come back from the break in terrific condition. Looks very lean, but powerful and strong.

View attachment 599477

One thing Dale Amos kept impressing upon Weitering during the match sims was follow up and make himself an option once he'd disposed of the ball to a team mate. To be pro-active after disposing of the ball to create and influence the play. With his elite kicking, it's not hard to see why they want Weitering to be more influential and damaging.

View attachment 599478
All photos by yours truly.

It'll be interesting to see if Marchbank and/or Plowman become injured for any significant period of time if Bolton goes with Jones & Macreadie as the KPDs and returns Weitering to that 3rd tall intercept defender, a position he played with such aplomb in his first year.

I’m looking forward to how the backline reengineers itself under Amos again.

We’re likely going to be tall down back with Plow fit then with Jones (high up the pecking order at selection I think), Weiters, Marchbank (can he stay on the park, and improve his disposal at the same time), then the next batch knocking of Macreadie, Goddard and even a positionless JSOS - or is he looking like a forward again?

Q. Who were our KPD in ‘16 if Weiters was playing differently? Only Rowe really, White & Plow (3rd talls) as Jamo retired in-season and Army had finished his stint as our resident CHB.

For those of you who've watched a fair bit of Kym LeBois ply his trade at the Northern Blues over the last couple of years, where do you see he's at with his footy???

KL1.jpg

The thing that surprised me was how easily LeBois fell off his opponent (Simmo) during the match sims. None of these matches lasted more than 10-15 minutes tops and it wasn't as though the ball spent much time in the Orange Teams front half, so fatigue was unlikely to be a factor.

KL2.jpg

He's gone from being in a position to stick a tackle to leaving it to someone else, in this case SOSOS had just who competed with mark against Jones. Granted Simmo is no slouch and has always had a nice turn of foot, but he's hardly greased lightning these days.

KL3.jpg

LeBois has really fallen away to the point where he's almost out of frame here and in the next shot you won't see him at all. I'm not sure that I see a person with the urgency in his game to make it as an AFL player. This wasn't the only time I noticed this, but it just happened to be the one I caught on camera. Let's hope he can step it up because a quality small forward that can apply defensive pressure while impacting the scoreboard is something we desperately need.

KL4.jpg

Anyway, just some more rambling preseason observations. Will be interested to see if people notice anything else that looks out of place in these shots.

For those of you who've watched a fair bit of Kym LeBois ply his trade at the Northern Blues over the last couple of years, where do you see he's at with his footy???

View attachment 599479

The thing that surprised me was how easily LeBois fell off his opponent (Simmo) during the match sims. None of these matches lasted more than 10-15 minutes tops and it wasn't as though the ball spent much time in the Orange Teams front half, so fatigue was unlikely to be a factor.

View attachment 599480

He's gone from being in a position to stick a tackle to leaving it to someone else, in this case SOSOS had just who competed with mark against Jones. Granted Simmo is no slouch and has always had a nice turn of foot, but he's hardly greased lightning these days.

View attachment 599481

LeBois has really fallen away to the point where he's almost out of frame here and in the next shot you won't see him at all. I'm not sure that I see a person with the urgency in his game to make it as an AFL player. This wasn't the only time I noticed this, but it just happened to be the one I caught on camera. Let's hope he can step it up because a quality small forward that can apply defensive pressure while impacting the scoreboard is something we desperately need.

View attachment 599482

Anyway, just some more rambling preseason observations. Will be interested to see if people notice anything else that looks out of place in these shots.

So let me get this straight, Jones sat down for the entirety of that play!!!!

View attachment 599479

View attachment 599480

View attachment 599481

View attachment 599482

I dont rate him at all and dont know why they extended his contract. Not fit enough, doesnt get enough of the ball, doesnt kick goals and doesnt apply pressure and tackle. It really surprised me! I cant see him making it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back