Australia vs India, 4th test at the SCG, Jan 3rd - 7th

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we have any names for young batsmen putting their hand up for selection? From what I understand the best performed shield batsmen have all been tried before - S Marsh, Wade, Burns et al.
If you are talking performance and stat wise then its a no . I'm suggesting we may need to move beyond that and pick guys who are technically and mentally up for Test cricket long term. Play a long game , rather then paper over the cracks.

Do we have any names for young batsmen putting their hand up for selection? From what I understand the best performed shield batsmen have all been tried before - S Marsh, Wade, Burns et al.
Will Pucovski is the only young batsman showing any ability to make big hundreds at shield level at the moment.

If he stays healthy there is hope there.

If you are talking performance and stat wise then its a no . I'm suggesting we may need to move beyond that and pick guys who are technically and mentally up for Test cricket long term. Play a long game , rather then paper over the cracks.

How are they going to be up for it at test level if they’re not up to it at shield level? Setting them up for constant failure isn’t any good for them.

How are they going to be up for it at test level if they’re not up to it at shield level? Setting them up for constant failure isn’t any good for them.
But we aren't really picking the best performers at shield level either , we've just had two tests picking guys in our top 6 with mediocre at best Shield performance and not picking Burns or Wade ( probably the two best performed this season )

If you pick guys of the right stuff and potential they will make it in the long term. Otherwise we keep going how we are , treading water .

The selectors have done this with Lebuschange and this board melted hard over it.

The selectors have done this with Lebuschange and this board melted hard over it.
Because the narrative was that performance holds weight for selection , which in that case and M.Marsh it didn't .

If you are going on potential for long term and make that clear , it makes that selection totally different . I think that why there is such frustration with selection .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know the pitches obviously impact this due to bounce but I’m fairly certain during the Pak-SA tests, they quoted a figure that said Mohammad Abbas during the UAE series was hitting the stumps over 40 per cent of the time.

Yep. I just don’t get it. Why take out 2/3rds of your dismissals by not bowling at the stumps!

Seriously does the sun never come out in Sydney? It's January and they only get a few hours a day of daylight and it rains every morning?

Seriously does the sun never come out in Sydney? It's January and they only get a few hours a day of daylight and it rains every morning?

This week has been unlucky though, extreme heat and now some wet weather after the change. Happens.

I’ve gone in hard on the MCG pitch the last 2 years and deservedly so, but I’m beginning to understand why the Victorians have a chip on their shoulder in regards to Sydney.

I don’t think there has been a decent New Years test in god knows how long and since Warne and MacGill finished their careers, the pitch has just become a ******* flat road where scores of 500+ are the norm and despite what is being bandied around, the SCG pitch doesn’t even spin that much and is just a preconceived myth based on what it use to do much (much like the myth of the WACA pace in its latter years)

The SCG has largely gone under the radar and should at least be receiving as much criticism as the Boxing Day Test if not more. In fact the SCG has been diabolical for longer than the MCG by a country mile but because no attention is given to it by the media, it goes through to the keeper unscathed.

A quick look at the last couple of New Years tests paint a horrid picture yet the NSW pundits continue to bury their heads in their sands and pretend that the SCG test is one of the premier tests on the calendar.

2019 vs India - LIKELY DRAW DUE TO WASHOUT
AUS 300 & 0/6 Rain Delay
vs
India 7/622d

2018 vs England - WIN
AUS 7/649d
vs
ENG 346 & 180

2017 vs Pakistan - WIN
AUS 8/538d & 2/241d
vs
PAK 315 & 244

2016 vs West Indies - DRAW
WI 330
vs
AUS 2/176d
(Washout before 1st Innings completed)

2015 vs India - DRAW
AUS 7/572d & 6/251d
vs
IND 475 & 7/252

2014 vs England - WIN
AUS 326 & 276
vs
ENG 155 & 166

2013 vs Sri Lanka - WIN
AUS 9/432d & 5/141
vs
SL 294 & 278

2012 vs India - WIN
AUS 4/659d
vs
IND 191 & 400

2011 vs England - LOSS
AUS 280 & 281
vs
ENG 644

The stats show that it’s either weather affected in Sydney or the pitch is just a ******* road with no balance between bat and ball. Only 2013 and 2014 I would give a pass mark for in the last decade and both of those were dead rubbers. No I know why you Victorian’s have your necks up over the Sydney Siders. They should lose the New Years Test.

Agreed. Hate to sound like a broken record but isn’t it amazing when bowlers bowl at the stumps! In four tests we haven’t done that. 8% of balls hitting the stumps is pathetic. You bowl at the stumps you get lbws and bowled.

There's such a thing as bowling "too straight" to certain players, e.g. you probably wouldn't attack the stumps to Steve Smith. Think we've operated to the wrong instructions a few times, both batting and bowling. Not sure whether that's down to the captain or the coaches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back