Let's talk Ports! Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

How the AFL didn’t make an exception and elevate him to Legend alongside Blight when the HOF dinner was held at Adelaide Oval is the biggest travesty since they didn’t inaugurate him beside Robran.

I mean, no disrespect to Royce Hart, Kevin Murray, Alex Jesaulenko, Darrel Baldock, Bill Hutchison, Bob Pratt, Jack Dyer, John Nicholls and Roy Cazaly, but they’re in as much for their contributions as stars of their clubs and/or contribution to the game’s lore moreso than any serious candidacy to broadbased GOATdom.

So why is Russell considered inferior to them in the ‘LEGEND’ stakes when he’s the consensus equal greatest player South Australia ever produced and the GOAT of Port Adelaide’s glittering 150 year history?

Jesus.

How the AFL didn’t make an exception and elevate him to Legend alongside Blight when the HOF dinner was held at Adelaide Oval is the biggest travesty since they didn’t inaugurate him beside Robran.
The Legend status is AFL bullshit.

How and why do you separate 10% of the players from the other 90%??

Agree wholeheartedly. A regrettable opening gimmick they’ve been forced to cling to via legacy. But goodness gracious, by any measure Russell qualifies. Punished purely because he didn’t spend what, another 2 seasons at North?

I mean, no disrespect to Royce Hart, Kevin Murray, Alex Jesaulenko, Darrel Baldock, Bill Hutchison, Bob Pratt, Jack Dyer, John Nicholls and Roy Cazaly, but they’re in as much for their contributions as stars of their clubs and/or contribution to the game’s lore moreso than any serious candidacy to broadbased GOATdom.

So why is Russell considered inferior to them in the ‘LEGEND’ stakes when he’s the consensus equal greatest player South Australia ever produced and the GOAT of Port Adelaide’s glittering 150 year history?

Jesus.

This is the thing that gets me angry every time they elevate one of these stupid assholes to legend status ahead of him.

There are 2 things that might get you elevated. One is a phenomenal playing record. The other is the eye test that the player is and was at the absolute top echelon in terms of being a legend of the game.

Russell Ebert qualifies on both counts with plenty of change.

Not having him in there devalues the entire concept, and I generally agree that it's a dumb concept anyway, but it's especially dumb if someone with Ebert's resume hasn't been elevated.

Anyone know what Rucci’s on about? (Hope this is the right thread?)
a40c6fe51580b4746e948afbb58661e8.jpg

Im now pretty excited for this year. Barely thought about footy since november. Now itching for the season to start again

Im now pretty excited for this year. Barely thought about footy since november. Now itching for the season to start again

Careful, Macca.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone know what Rucci’s on about? (Hope this is the right thread?)
a40c6fe51580b4746e948afbb58661e8.jpg
What spirit of brotherhood? We offered a hand and it's been repeatedly spat on. Maybe the club is finally growing some balls and won't let itself be walked all over by Adelaide anymore.

My partner is a teacher at a school that Ebert went to. She doesn't follow footy, but loves Russell Ebert. Apparently extremely engaged, knows the going ons inside of schools and a genuinely caring guy. Legend!

We had a Crippled Children's Association worker visit for a school assembly talk, would've been around 1978. He mentioned how Russell would come down once a week straight after training in his footy gear and spend time with the kids. No media, no publicity, no fanfare. Just something he did to make the kids feel special.

We had a Crippled Children's Association worker visit for a school assembly talk, would've been around 1978. He mentioned how Russell would come down once a week straight after training in his footy gear and spend time with the kids. No media, no publicity, no fanfare. Just something he did to make the kids feel special.

This was a school for children with special needs I was talking about so he has form in that area!

Not only that, the AFL is the only sport whose HOF has a separate legends category

The concept originates with baseball, there's no separate category for players such as Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron, Mickey Mantle, Joe di Maggio, Ty Cobb, Jackie Robinson etc. If you're inducted, you're inducted.

Not only that, the AFL is the only sport whose HOF has a separate legends category

The concept originates with baseball, there's no separate category for players such as Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron, Mickey Mantle, Joe di Maggio, Ty Cobb, Jackie Robinson etc. If you're inducted, you're inducted.
Yep I have written about this in 3 or 4 threads on the main board over the years, stating the Baseball HoF started in 1936 to celebrate 100 years of the game - I went to Cooperstown in NY state in 1988, and its had a couple of big building additions since then - was the first sports HoF in the world, has never seen the need to come up with an artificial category neither has the other 3 big North American sports' HoF and no other ones I know of, outside the Australian Football and the Sports Australia HoF.

It was the Sport Australia HoF that started this BS in 1993 after it was established in 1985 and because its housed in The National Sports Museum at the MCG, the AFL jumped on the bandwagon. But at least the Sport Australia one doesn't have some arbitrary 10% rule. They had 3 or 4 each year elevated between 1993-96 years and then 1 a year since 1997, except for 1998 and 2010 when 2 were elevated.

It's like when the Qantas Club became overrun with bogans and they created the Chairman's Lounge.

It's like when the Qantas Club became overrun with bogans and they created the Chairman's Lounge.
Even though I've worked for the Red Kangaroo for four years, I've never actually been in the Qantas Club. It's run by Accor, not the airline itself.

This will hopefully change when I go to Japan in August.

Yep I have written about this in 3 or 4 threads on the main board over the years, stating the Baseball HoF started in 1936 to celebrate 100 years of the game - I went to Cooperstown in NY state in 1988, and its had a couple of big building additions since then - was the first sports HoF in the world, has never seen the need to come up with an artificial category neither has the other 3 big North American sports' HoF and no other ones I know of, outside the Australian Football and the Sports Australia HoF.

It was the Sport Australia HoF that started this BS in 1993 after it was established in 1985 and because its housed in The National Sports Museum at the MCG, the AFL jumped on the bandwagon. But at least the Sport Australia one doesn't have some arbitrary 10% rule. They had 3 or 4 each year elevated between 1993-96 years and then 1 a year since 1997, except for 1998 and 2010 when 2 were elevated.
I do like the voting ballot that baseball has. Mariano Rivera, legendary closer for the New York Yankees, was (deservedly) unanimously elected this year in his first listing, breaking Ken Griffey Jr.'s record.

Kinda wish the AFL had the same thing, it wouldn't be as Victorian centric if something like this happened

I do like the voting ballot that baseball has. Mariano Rivera, legendary closer for the New York Yankees, was (deservedly) unanimously elected this year in his first listing, breaking Ken Griffey Jr.'s record.

Kinda wish the AFL had the same thing, it wouldn't be as Victorian centric if something like this happened

It'd be even more Victorian centric. We're just a few months away from Tredders losing a 'who's the better player' poll on the AFL Facebook page to Sav Rocca.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back