Training 2019 Preseason Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

getting smashed in the mids did not look good to me

Still, on the bright side we had a bit more run and there was sfa chippetty chip.

In the first half we dominated via Darcy Cameron. Mills, Hewett, Florent and Rowbottom were well on top. Second half Mumford comes out and Toby Pink takes over the majority of the rucking duties. So it went as expected.

In the first half we dominated via Darcy Cameron. Mills, Hewett, Florent and Rowbottom were well on top. Second half Mumford comes out and Toby Pink takes over the majority of the rucking duties. So it went as expected.

Still not sold on Cameron. He did take a very good contested mark in the first quarter, but I don't think he did anything else all game.

That is true. I will say though I was disappointed in Bell. I really think he has talent but he didn't really show that today.

Yeah I would’ve liked to have seen more of him and Stoddart but they just couldn’t get into the game. Heck they couldn’t even do a McInerney and produce a highlight or two. In fairness Bell seemed to be in the forward pocket for stretches of the match I noticed.

That is true. I will say though I was disappointed in Bell. I really think he has talent but he didn't really show that today.

I disagree. At one stage at a contested ball stoppage, I saw him put in four consecutive efforts. Also showed some really neat disposal. Don't know his game time figures, but I thought he showed he was worth a contract renewal. Rose- not so much.

Based on that I don’t see how we won’t go back to back in 2020. Blakey to kick 100 goals over the next two seasons.

The thing is that we have Buddy, Reid, McCartin and Blakely and I really want all 4 in the side as all four have value (and I especially want McCartin and Ried to build experience in the seniors since in 5 years time they will be our forward line combination) but we can't realistically have all 4 of them in the team at once.

If his legs were as long as his arms we'd have another Buddy in the team.
Very exciting display from him and a number of youngsters.

I'd be very surprised if KJ can force his way back into this team looking at the performances today.
I'm just going for speed with my round 1 team this week with greatest respect to Smith, McV, and KJ

O'Roirdan....Reg...Rampe
McInerney....Melican....Lloyd
Cunningham...JPK...Florent
Blakey...Buddy...Mills
Papley...Reid...Heeney
F: Sinkers, Hewett, Parker
I: Clarke, AA, Hayward, Jones
E: Ronke, Mcveigh, Cameron, Rowbottom/KJ

Maybe Ronke needs to be in for the blistering pace when the ball hits the deck inside 50...bloody hard to find a spot though...maybe Clarke's.
Ronke kicked 28 goals in 18 games last year and you would leave him out. Astounding. He'll play next week in the JTL.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

The thing is that we have Buddy, Reid, McCartin and Blakely and I really want all 4 in the side as all four have value (and I especially want McCartin and Ried to build experience in the seniors since in 5 years time they will be our forward line combination) but we can't realistically have all 4 of them in the team at once.

As long as their performances merit being picked I reckon we can make it work.

if we have Lance floating up the flanks with Reid the main marking target in the fifty, with TomMac the counterpoint and Blakey spending plenty of time in the mids where he seems very capable, and defense which might be new for him, and I've barely seen him play, but would like to see some good disposal coming out of there, tho it seems Thurlow will be given a chance there for now.

Maybe we can roll that out early in the year. Cos once Menzel is fit, I'd think he'd be taking young Toms spot (not that I have him b22 atm)

That was such a mature response to my bs tongue in cheek post.

It’s funny to think that Reid is 27. We can’t really plan for him to be a key to our future in 5 years as he’ll be 32. He needs to stay fit to make the transition easier for McCartin and Blakey so they can be our two pillars up forward for a decade or so.

McCartin is the great unknown but he could really be a gem for us with the guidance of Buddy and Reid through the early part of his career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was such a mature response to my bs tongue in cheek post.

It’s funny to think that Reid is 27. We can’t really plan for him to be a key to our future in 5 years as he’ll be 32. He needs to stay fit to make the transition easier for McCartin and Blakey so they can be our two pillars up forward for a decade or so.

McCartin is the great unknown but he could really be a gem for us with the guidance of Buddy and Reid through the early part of his career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with that. In 5 years time Buddy will be gone and there is a strong possibility that Reid will be gone as well. However, as of right now in 2019 I would say Buddy and Reid are our two best key position forwards, and for that reason they should both be in the team. In saying that though, we can't just be focused on 2019, we need to be thinking about the future and Blakey/McCartin could really benefit long term by getting a proper amount of games into them this year.

It is a juggling act to be sure, and I am honestly not sure what the solution is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with that. In 5 years time Buddy will be gone and there is a strong possibility that Reid will be gone as well. However, as of right now in 2019 I would say Buddy and Reid are our two best key position forwards, and for that reason they should both be in the team. In saying that though, we can't just be focused on 2019, we need to be thinking about the future and Blakey/McCartin could really benefit long term by getting a proper amount of games into them this year.

It is a juggling act to be sure, and I am honestly not sure what the solution is.
You don't keep good developing players by not giving them games. They go where they get games. Buddy will not be ready by round 1. I doubt Buddy will be around in 4 years let alone 5. His body is half shot now. If you have not noticed he has had surgery every year that he has been here. He had triple surgery this year, double last year and we can only hope he will get some benefit from them. But if we bring him back early we spoil all that. We have done that every year.

As for Reid, he is a player who breaks packs and takes huge pack marks. That is always valuable. He just doesn't score enough goals. I hope he changes that this year. He is opposite to Rohan in that he gets enough of the ball, he just doesn't convert enough. Especially close in, where he has a tendency to spray the ball at all angles. As for Rohan, I think he was wasted at the Swans. He sat in a forward pocket and was starved of the ball as we tried to hit up Nud again and again. We wasted his pace. I would have played him either on ball, wing or HB. He could have done a cameo forward just to change things up. But...

You don't keep good developing players by not giving them games. They go where they get games. Buddy will not be ready by round 1. I doubt Buddy will be around in 4 years let alone 5. His body is half shot now. If you have not noticed he has had surgery every year that he has been here. He had triple surgery this year, double last year and we can only hope he will get some benefit from them. But if we bring him back early we spoil all that. We have done that every year.

As for Reid, he is a player who breaks packs and takes huge pack marks. That is always valuable. He just doesn't score enough goals. I hope he changes that this year. He is opposite to Rohan in that he gets enough of the ball, he just doesn't convert enough. Especially close in, where he has a tendency to spray the ball at all angles. As for Rohan, I think he was wasted at the Swans. He sat in a forward pocket and was starved of the ball as we tried to hit up Nud again and again. We wasted his pace. I would have played him either on ball, wing or HB. He could have done a cameo forward just to change things up. But...

Also perhaps we can do something that Longmire has in the past been loathed to do and simply rest Buddy every so often, just to make sure that his body holds up over the course of the season.

I thought all. Players who played today showed something. I agree re Rose, he missed the ball, fumbled, made bad positioning and just looked out of his depth against a reserves GWS that included two Academy players.

Maibaum was a stand out in the backs in the first half. His reading of the ball was very good. He was so good in fact, Horse was very happy to leave him at FB and give Reg a run in the Ruck.

I thought McInnerny broke the lines very well. He rarely, if ever, runs over the ball, unlike Stoddart. That is the difference. He's also pretty built and has very good balance. His delivery at pace is good too. He did get himself lost on a couple of occasions when he could have capitalised.

Rowbottom is ready made. He's built, strong, tenacious. His delivery both handball and kick are good.

Blakey is, a natural. His kicking for goal was superb. He slotted straight in. His leading patterns are super. He has long arms and sure hands. The complete footballer.

Dawson had a, good first half but seemed to drop out if the game in the second. Brilliant delivery. But I'd like to see him attack the ball a lot harder. Seems half hearted.

Pink was good in the first half. Then he went into the Ruck and fell away a bit. A lot really. But I will give him one thing, he never stopped attacking the ball.

Bell was good in cameo. He dropped in and out of the game. He needs to be a bit more consistent

Foxy was pretty good playing back. He played BP for a couple of games when Smiffy was injured and was good.

Mills was really good, so bloody hard. His delivery in close is elite.

Melican did what he needed to. He got the pace and was good without trying too hard. His, defensive efforts were really good. He covers the play so well.

Clarke did not make too many mistakes. He ran well and provided a running option. GWS had trouble with all our running brigade.

Stoddart was OK in parts but he isn't clean and that ruins a lot of his play. He seemed to lose the ball over and over again. Maybe he needs glasses.

Wicks seemed a bit lost. He ran and chased but rarely put himself into a damaging position to take the crumbs.

Both sides severely undermanned, we had, at best, only 10 first choice players.

Good reports on Rowbottom and McInerney, very early but seem good choices, Blakey wasn't touted top 5 for no reason, maybe a steal at 10?

The half year off looks to have transformed Mills into the quality mid he was destined to be, a great addition to the needy midfield.

Be some interesting selection choices for R1

You’ve ousted our 20+ goalkicker from last year in favour of McInerney and Clarke after one scratch match? RUNVS see my point?

Christ on a bike, that's why I called it this weeks team - AND noted I'd probably have to find room for Ronke.
You do realise this isn't the official team selection and just talking shit during the preseason, right?

Christ on a bike, that's why I called it this weeks team - AND noted I'd probably have to find room for Ronke.
You do realise this isn't the official team selection and just talking shit during the preseason, right?

My bad I didn’t see the “this week” in your original post. Apologies.

I still don’t think McInerney did enough today to be in the best 22 even if it was based purely on today’s performance. He wasn’t even our second-best draftee today let alone the best. But hopefully he can build on today’s efforts in whatever opportunities he gets the rest of this pre-season.

There is no way Reid will be playing in 5 years. It’s Blakey & McCartin we want forging chemistry inside 50, as they are the future of our forward line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back