Game Day JLT series Game 2 vs Hawthorn - 7:10pm, UTAS

Remove this Banner Ad

Imagine the scrutiny if Rance hit Shiels the way Shiels hit Graham. Gary and his mates would have it on loop dissecting it for the next week.
I temember Robbo and Whateley going hysterical over a Richmond player jlt.

My thoughts:

• Hawthorn played the blueprint to beat us in the first half, same as per last season against the WEagles and in the Prelim. Win contested ball/ first use, be disciplined defensively and force us to bomb long, and then control the air.
  • Without wanting to get into any arguments with any lurking hawks fans that may be around, you can see how they’ll have to play this year to have success. They don’t have as much pure talent as the top teams do (Us, Melbourne, WCE, GWS etc), which was obviously exacerbated by the injuries to Gunston, Mitchell, Wingard etc. To win, the Hawks I feel will have to be so disciplined in their structures whilst the likes of Mitch Lewis, Morrison, Worpel, J Cousins, Hanrahan and these types continue to develop. Think they’ll finish somewhere from 4-8 this season.
  • Was happy with Markov and Menadue’s games. They played their role, and whilst there was really no major opportunity to run and carry and break lines due to the solid defensive structure of the Hawks, a few times were able to use their assets to propel the ball forward. My criticisms of Menadue last season were around imposing himself on the contest, which he did. Yes it is JLT, but a step in the right direction. Think Markov plays round 1, Menadue probably not.
  • Balta; whilst not as impactful as last week, thought he competed very well, whether aerially or in the ruck. Unsurprisingly, I think he’ll be like a Mason Cox type early days. Has patches within games where he turns the tide, but goes missing for large junks. Think you have to play him in round one as your back up ruckman.
  • Baker - don’t think he makes the round 1 team unfortunately, but I really like him. Higgo’s third goal shows that he plays with time and space well, and makes good decisions. Also doesn’t fumble either, which as silly as it may sound, it’s hugely important in today’s game. Think he’ll do well at the highest level and will get game time this year.
  • Butler - bad game from him, but looked more involved than against the Dees. So in some wierd way is a step in the right direction. Think he plays round 1, especially if Rioli play more up the ground than last few seasons. His pace and tackle pressure is high. Better for the run undoubtedly, and hopefully the kinks are all out before round 1.
  • Graham - more offensive role today and it showed for us defensively. Think as a collective our defensive contested structures were a little out of whack, allowing Hawks to bring the ball to the middle, or use their backline ball users through the corridor a lot more easier than we’d like. In saying that, showed that he still can get the footy when required. A key member of the squad, and deservedly will play round 1.
  • Higgo - just a smart footballer. His first and last goal added the mounting evidence that he already sees the game with a sense that few other players have. Was one of the few that could hold their heads high in that first half. In for a big year. My big call for the year is he makes the AA 40 man squad. Needs to improve his entries into I50 IMO however, but he’s just such a natural footballer.
  • Cotch and Graham immense in the 4th quarter through the middle was great. Think we’ve had a good run up to round 1. Scares in Q1 and Q4 against the Dees and the first half against the Hawks should have us not getting too far ahead of ourselves coming into round 1. I’d rather not be coming from 40 points down though to win games in season proper however.
  • Going to be interesting who makes the wing spot, Markov/ Menadue/ Ellis or KMac. Thought McIntosh was better than Ellis’ JLT1, But not by much.
  • Add Caddy and especially Lynch to that team and I think we’d be in a better position to stem or counter those periods where teams get on top of us and force us to bomb the Ball long.

Bring on around 1!
Well written. Will disagree on Markov. Thought he was completely out of his depth defensively at this level. Did get some metres gained, but the negatives outweighed the positives. Backline Ellis Mark 2 if we try him in the regular season down back. As poor as Short was last night, no way Markov takes his spot. On a wing, prefer McIntosh with the bigger body, and even Ellis, with Grigg later in the year. A mid rotator on the other side.
Can markov take a contested mark? Defensive spoils? Cant remember too many at VFL level even (others on here would know better). Broad has him well covered. If he is in our team vs a top 8 team, are going to be punching things. He dominated preseason because he is an athlete. If him and Ellis are in the team, we will need a team of contested beasts with finals pressure to cover them.

Yeah, how does that work then!?

We’ve played 2 very good football clubs in this series. Been a great tune up. Winning form is the best form. Make no mistake and both teams went the win in the last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did anyone see the tweet that Ricky Nixon deleted last night?

For those who don't know, ever since Tom Lynch chose Richmond, he has been on a hysterical tirade against all things Richmond as the decision proved he had no idea about player movement.

Last night he was in fine form but it was one particular tweet which was apparently appalling and he was quick to delete it - I'd love to know if anyone took a screenshot.

Here are some of his other melts...

https://twitter.com/rickynixontoot/status/1104312196568211457?s=19

what did the deleted one say?

Did anyone see the tweet that Ricky Nixon deleted last night?

For those who don't know, ever since Tom Lynch chose Richmond, he has been on a hysterical tirade against all things Richmond as the decision proved he had no idea about player movement.

Last night he was in fine form but it was one particular tweet which was apparently appalling and he was quick to delete it - I'd love to know if anyone took a screenshot.

Here are some of his other melts...

https://twitter.com/rickynixontoot/status/1104312196568211457?s=19

Attention seeking.

You know what's funny? Our JLT form is very 2017 Richmond-esque. Get thrashed in the first quarter or two and then storm back to win the game. Being down 40 points is not great, but it shows the players that no matter how many points they are down, they can still win. It's basically what we did a lot in 2017 and what West Coast did a lot of in 2018 (Port in AO and the GF against Collingwood being great examples). However, we did not do much of that in 2018, which is why the PF last year was done at half time.

Liked it especially since we won interstate against a decent side and is good preparation for Rounds 3 and 4 when we play GWS and Port Adelaide respectively.
With the Prelim last year we got to less than 4 goals early in the last qtr after being 50+ points down just before half time. We got ourselves back in the game when it should have been well and truely lost with that margin, but unfortunately Collingwood got a couple of goals and killed the momentum.

Well written. Will disagree on Markov. Thought he was completely out of his depth defensively at this level. Did get some metres gained, but the negatives outweighed the positives. Backline Ellis Mark 2 if we try him in the regular season down back. As poor as Short was last night, no way Markov takes his spot. On a wing, prefer McIntosh with the bigger body, and even Ellis, with Grigg later in the year. A mid rotator on the other side.
Can markov take a contested mark? Defensive spoils? Cant remember too many at VFL level even (others on here would know better). Broad has him well covered. If he is in our team vs a top 8 team, are going to be punching things. He dominated preseason because he is an athlete. If him and Ellis are in the team, we will need a team of contested beasts with finals pressure to cover them.

It’s an interesting discussion. He did a few nice things in defence aerially against the Dees, a few third man up spoils and a very good contested at the top of the goal square. Can’t say I remember him doing anything outstanding defensively last night, but I also can’t remember him having any howlers. Think he’ll be one of those guys, kind of like Houli and Short where you know that they aren’t going to clamp down defensively, you just hope they break even.

The greater discussion is as you mentioned is where he fits in the greater team structure. He isn’t replacing Vlastuin, Broad or Grimes as the traditional mid size defensive stoppers. He isn’t replacing Short or Houli as the running back flankers. Think as a winger Ellis and KMac are in front of him. Where I see his value is being is the ability to play in the rotation in all three of those positions. Whilst he hasn’t played it at Senior level, he showed he can play forward at Juinor level.

I said I think he is in the round 1 squad, but admittedly I haven’t re-done my round 1 22 following last nights game. After JLT1 I had him last one in, and thus first one out.

He’s an interesting one if nothing else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the Prelim last year we got to less than 4 goals early in the last qtr after being 50+ points down just before half time. We got ourselves back in the game when it should have been well and truely lost with that margin, but unfortunately Collingwood got a couple of goals and killed the momentum.
We haven't really completed it though. PF against Collingwood, Adelaide at AO, West Coast in Perth, Port Adelaide at AO, GWS at Spotless. These were our five losses last year and in each of these losses we were a considerable amount down, brought ourselves back into the game and did not finish it off. There was no game from memory that we were a considerable amount down that we won with the exception of Carlton in Round 1.

2017 though had many games like that so I am happy that we are starting to see that again. It really makes us look intimidating.

Lyon trying to get Jack suspended.
Well, he should be suspended for 1 match if the AFL are fairdinkum

Riewoldt stayed down in the marking contest, took his eye off the ball, raised his leg and kicked Brand in the leg as he flew past.
Brand landed awkwardly as a result and stuffed his ankle.

It's the first time I've ever seen a player trip someone who was in mid-air, but that's exactly what he did.

But Jack is one of the media darlings and TV ratings drawcard for the season pipe-opener vs Carlton so I expect the AFL to say "Nothing to see here, folks"

Riewoldt stayed down in the marking contest, took his eye off the ball, raised his leg and kicked Brand in the leg as he flew past.
Pay back for double teaming JR...

It's the first time I've ever seen a player trip someone who was in mid-air, but that's exactly what he did.

But Jack is one of the media darlings and TV ratings drawcard for the season pipe-opener vs Carlton so I expect the AFL to say "Nothing to see here, folks"
Thanks for your mind reading skills. I just love how couch potatoes like yourself can always know for certain what players are thinking in the few hundredths of a second they have to plan and execute their dastardly crimes.....

I have no idea what Jack was doing. Was he balancing himself or trying to kick an on coming player? If that player was injured, he'd have some explaining to do with his sloppy action but Brand came back on and showed no after effects and so he doesn't have to try to explain anything. TBH, he probably doesn't even know what he was trying to do.

Away for the weekend and missed the game.
Have just read the thread and found it highly entertaining.
Wild Mood Swings

Was being held. What else is he supposed to do?

Interesting, what were your views on Hodge when he janmed Wingards head into a goal post a few years ago? Or when Mitchell deliberately kneed Walker corking his hip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nixon is a stain and sums up everything the AFL is trying to distance themselves from

Why people hang on anything he says is beyond me
He would have as much inside knowledge of the afl these days as my left nut

Nixon is a stain and sums up everything the AFL is trying to distance themselves from

Why people hang on anything he says is beyond me
He would have as much inside knowledge of the afl these days as my left nut
You're selling your left nut short....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back