Over exposed AFL identities

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone else find that there are many people in the industry who we see/hear from way too much?

It doesn't matter if I put the television on, radio or read AFL content online but you're always hearing from the same people. It gets boring, they repeat themselves and often have their own agendas.

Right now David King, Bob Murphy and Nick Riewoldt are three in particular who seem to be 'everywhere'. I also find David King hard to take seriously after his 'off season' misdemeanour last year. Give us a break preaching.

I've actually just started to listen to some podcasts after last weekend's game and definitely find it refreshing hearing from some different people.

Which AFL identities do you feel are overly exposed at the moment and where do you get your AFL content from? Does anyone have any recommended footy related media outlet? I even put on the Marngrook Footy Show last night.
What are your round 6 tips, predictions, and crowd expectations?

Good try. He won a B&F in 1994 when we made a PF. You also don’t make team of the century for a club that’s got a pretty rich history. Captain of state of origin? How does Paul Kelly stand by your reasoning them? Won 2 B&F early nineties when you were s**t and one in your GF year. Also team of the century prior to your 2005 flag. Sydney have only been relevant since Paul Roos saved your arse from 03 onwards.

But you were good in the 50s. Nobody is left from the era to remind anyone how good the old timers were.

So we have self promoting flogs like Lyon in the media telling everyone how good they are while people with quieter more humble personalities like Neitz, Farmer, Roberton, Green get forgotten.

Good try. He won a B&F in 1994 when we made a PF. You also don’t make team of the century for a club that’s got a pretty rich history. Captain of state of origin? How does Paul Kelly stand by your reasoning them? Won 2 B&F early nineties when you were s**t and one in your GF year. Also team of the century prior to your 2005 flag. Sydney have only been relevant since Paul Roos saved your arse from 03 onwards.
Recency bias

Hate how Gary Lyon always has 'matey' and 'blokey' inside jokes with the other commentators like he is the world's best bloke. None of them are ever funny. Usually about having a 'few quite ones' or something about being rich and having money. Just a pure dickhead.
Just vomit worthy.

Can tell You 100% he is not. Like Dunstall is well known for being a surly miserable prick who has a dislike for 95% of other human beings. Would not piss on you if you self combusted in front of them.

Can tell You 100% he is not. Like Dunstall is well known for being a surly miserable prick who has a dislike for 95% of other human beings. Would not piss on you if you self combusted in front of them.
Which fascinated me about Dunstall given he entrenches himself within the AFL industry exposed to so many people.

But you were good in the 50s. Nobody is left from the era to remind anyone how good the old timers were.

So we have self promoting flogs like Lyon in the media telling everyone how good they are while people with quieter more humble personalities like Neitz, Farmer, Roberton, Green get forgotten.
How many times did Lyon play in finals in his career compared to kelly? Between 1990-2002 when Kelly played Sydney appeared in finals 5 times. Between 1986-1999 when Lyon played Melbourne appeared in finals 6 times.

Your concept of club success seems pretty overrated when people laud Kelly for being a champion in a mediocre Sydney side and you deem Lyon not to be? Lyon was Captain of Victoria, won 2x B&F awards, and was team of the century.

Lyon & Kelly both played in pretty average sides over their career. Kelly played in one GF, so did Lyon. Sydney played finals less than Melbourne during the periods in which both played.

Melbourne also has had a heap more success from a premiership perspective than Sydney / South Melbourne. I’d argue that our 12 flags compared to your 5 means that your argument of Kelly being in a team of the century is pretty weightless. So if Lyon’s accolades don’t count because of Melbourne being mediocre, then Kelly’s sure as s**t don’t.

How many times did Lyon play in finals in his career compared to kelly? Between 1990-2002 when Kelly played Sydney appeared in finals 5 times. Between 1986-1999 when Lyon played Melbourne appeared in finals 6 times.

Your concept of club success seems pretty overrated when people laud Kelly for being a champion in a mediocre Sydney side and you deem Lyon not to be? Lyon was Captain of Victoria, won 2x B&F awards, and was team of the century.

Lyon & Kelly both played in pretty average sides over their career. Kelly played in one GF, so did Lyon. Sydney played finals less than Melbourne during the periods in which both played.

Melbourne also has had a heap more success from a premiership perspective than Sydney / South Melbourne. I’d argue that our 12 flags compared to your 5 means that your argument of Kelly being in a team of the century is pretty weightless. So if Lyon’s accolades don’t count because of Melbourne being mediocre, then Kelly’s sure as s**t don’t.

No Players accolades should be rated on the success of The Club Including Lyon Who was a Great Player but If you are suggesting that Lyon was a better Footballer than Kelly you are deluded and should seek counselling.

No Players accolades should be rated on the success of The Club Including Lyon Who was a Great Player but If you are suggesting that Lyon was a better Footballer than Kelly you are deluded and should seek counselling.
Never said he was better, just using a comparison of a guy who was really really good as well but played during a pretty unsuccessful period for a club with a pretty unsuccessful history.

Never said he was better, just using a comparison of a guy who was really really good as well but played during a pretty unsuccessful period for a club with a pretty unsuccessful history.

I agree with you. It is like players not being considered Champions or greats of the game because they were never premiership players. Ridiculous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still remember Gawns dickish comment on AFL 360 about private school boys being better than public school boys.

He went to his local public school though

Not a Lyon fan myself but drawing a long bow questioning his credentials.

‘Slow full forward, never won a flag’ is a huge stretch. And he annoys me too

How many media jobs does Kelly get?
Not seem him on tv in ages.

To be fair he deserved two. His 1993 season he kicked only 36 goals and was plonked on a half forward flank (in a fwd line with Ablett, Carey Modra, Bradley and Hocking).

That season there were far better half fwd and key fwds including

J Dunstall 123
P Sumich 76
J Longmire 75
S Rocca 73
A Lynch 68
S Kernahan 68
A McAdam 68
P Salmon 65
R Merrett 60
J Hogg 55
T Lockett 53
D Bewick 52
P Hudson 51
B Heaver 48
M Roberts 47
S Loewe 43

Two time all Australians throws him into the mix with guys like Talia from Adelaide, as an example.

Yes he could play but i think most people over rate him.
Who was M Roberts?

Or A Jakovich for example, who averaged double the goals per game (3.88) as Lyon (1.88).

With Jakovich personality wise, what you see is what you get. i can respect that as much as humble personalities.

How many media jobs does Kelly get?
Not seem him on tv in ages.
Mate I am not disagreeing that Lyon is a flog on TV and I agree with you re him being one of the boys and a campaigner, just disagree with your comments re him being overrated and his accolades not counting due to playing for Melbourne.

I actually think it’s big fish small pond with Dunstall. Same as Newman. They’re somewhat clever, probably quite clever actually, but they’d rather be the big boys and put your average dullard down in the AFL world. They’re both condescending and arrogant, and they push that to sort of extricate themselves from the masses even though they work in an industry that’s all about the masses.

They’re just not comfortable enough to get out into a different place where they’re a bit more challenged, probably because they get paid so well. Dunstall being a surly git is more of a front I’d say.

Mate I am not disagreeing that Lyon is a flog on TV and I agree with you re him being one of the boys and a campaigner, just disagree with your comments re him being overrated and his accolades not counting due to playing for Melbourne.

He was a good player but I don't remember him as a great of his era. In his position he wasn't top 10, arguably not top 20.

Anyway it's not that relevant because you don't need to be a star to be a media figure or coach and many ex stars are s**t at both. I don't like him because he's got a bizarre axe to grind with my team even though he's nothing to us. He's not Carey or Ablett who played against us on big finals or Clarkson/Roos who coached against us, just some flog who has his nose out of joint for whatever reason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back