Review Round 5, 2019 vs West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the thing. It was a great win tonight. But what good is it if we drop the ball against Norf and Adel in the upcoming weeks.

It's a great start, but let's see if this team can do it consistently.
Maybe the oppo is stopping us but the stodge-ball v Richmond then the fast play-on from last night has my head spinning.
Let's not over coach from week to week but let the players play to their natural strengths.
It's more effective and better to watch.

You've clearly mixed up your players.
Sammy G had 26 disposals, 5 tackles, and 8 marks. He was one of our hard men albeit his small size limits him.
Marshall did sweet FA, although he did put some effort in unlike rounds 1 and 2. One tackle, 3 marks and I doubt any of them were contested because he lost every marking contest I remember.
Yea but a lost marking contest is >>>>>>>>>a Dylan Grimes intercept mark isn’t it? And that the whole bloody point

This is the thing. It was a great win tonight. But what good is it if we drop the ball against Norf and Adel in the upcoming weeks.

It's a great start, but let's see if this team can do it consistently.

Don't be so negative StuartMan

I beg to differ. I distinctly remember the commentary team complaining ad nauseam about the kicking in danger that nearly took Duursma's (?) head off followed by the mark that was potentially touched by a fingernail leading to a Port goal.

Typical of a commentary team to focus on correct umpiring decisions that went our way. And this on a night when the commentary was bareable as there was no reason for any of them to show their true biases.

Had to scroll all the way down to the sports section for the first Eagles story on the West Australian website this morning - most unusual ;)

f8144383-723e-4ab9-abf5-54c8975a1680.png

Although they did have the journalistic integrity to publish this one too...

cfd3b5d9-1720-4874-a27d-b14f0a33a1c3.png

Umpiring was a disgrace against us

Didn't seem to bother us

Brilliant PAFC
^ was noted on the Freo board and believe it or not some of our neighbours' posters said the same.
The footy world took notice last night. Very relieved and proud of how we shone on a Friday night game
with the whole country watching.

Maybe the oppo is stopping us but the stodge-ball v Richmond then the fast play-on from last night has my head spinning.
Let's not over coach from week to week but let the players play to their natural strengths.
It's more effective and better to watch.
I don't think it's that simple. You need to allow players some freedom but it's very structured, organised and disciplined game now with coaching tactics paramount. I suspect Schofield devised the plan this week. Last 2 weeks we have been out coached & our opponents have rebounded defensively too easy.

Had to scroll all the way down to the sports section for the first Eagles story on the West Australian website this morning - most unusual ;)

f8144383-723e-4ab9-abf5-54c8975a1680.png

Although they did have the journalistic integrity to publish this one too...

cfd3b5d9-1720-4874-a27d-b14f0a33a1c3.png

"Staff writers" lol. Not brave enough to put their name to it.

The best thing about the young kids coming through is they have genuine hardness and grunt about them. It's one of the few things you either have or you don't. We're starting to get alot more of that around the club and it makes the guys around you feel invincible. It's what made this club what it was on the back of honest, hard, ruthless attack on the football. You don't have to be a thug or dirty. It makes even the premiers think twice about the contest and get fumbly around the ball.
You don't need to be blessed with Lockett, Ablett or Judd like ability or skills but just the want and hunger for the contest is all anyone can ask for when you put the jumper on and everyone buys in to the show!
The contrast in performances the last 2 games shows that and one of those is worthy of wearing the PB's again and represents everything that jumper does.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much as Robbie was well held by Sheppard I actually enjoyed his game. No sooking or removing himself from the contest to play for frees.

Even though it wasn’t happening for him he kept in the contest with second efforts and had some great knock ons and blocks.

Not a great game by him but if he keeps playing with that attitude he won’t be far from having an absolutely ripping match.

You can add his goal assists shepparding the ball through the goals.....

Powel Pepper is a ripper. He's got Dangerfield like explosiveness and hardness for the contest and doesn't mind butchering a ball :$
Seriously though, he's had a few opportunities to kick multiple goals in a few games now and could of easily snagged a few 3-voters if he'd kicked a bit straighter.
Gun.

I think he has really come of AGE.... crash boom bang and barge his way through a contest....

Yeah, did anyone get the rego of the bus that came through...... says Mcgovern on his mobile to the coach....

Gaff, says not a bad effort that.....

Is there a way to find out how much we were paying to win by 40+. Feel like that wouldve been at long odds.
$4.85 with Sportbet

I disagree with this. Yes it was scrappy at times due to the weather, but we played excellent football. We absolutely smashed them right from the start, and denied them any chance to get back into it.

This was their worse loss at the new stadium, and it should’ve been more if we were a bit more accurate. We had nearly twice their shots, and close to double their inside 50’s.

This should really be a defining game for us moving forward.

A win like this is good for a week... repeat this 3-4 times in a row to be season-defining rounds to get to the summit.

WE beat them with speed, they were too slow...... by foot and ball movement.

Best for me......Lycett, SPP, Wines, Ebert, S. Gray, Drew, Houston, standouts for me.

Special mention: Marshall, Burton, Rozee, Boak, Butters, DBJ, Johnas, Clurey.

Funny thing is, we played the same structure last week without Todd, however, Richmond played the same game that beat us at our own game.

Real positive about this game is that it should set precedence (benchmark) as to how committed players need to be.

A more unknowledgeable statement could not have been made... Sorry but that is rubbish and shows a complete lack of understanding of roles within a footy team.

Marshall did exactly what I wanted him to do - he blocked McGovern out of the game.

Deserved more goals, but played outstanding.

So proud of them. That sets the standard . Pretty much confirmed that we will lose this year but they will be when we don't buy in / play well.

You would want to make sure you are doing your part as there will be blokes below waiting for their chance.

Ollie's set shot was worth its weight in gold. Sam gray backing himself to have a ping from 50.

Biggest focus is to tidy up efficiency in front of goal so that we can put some distance bt ripping a side in 1 really good quarter like Geelong used to do.

If Ken could actually coach i think the players would put that type of performance in more consistently.

Every supporter can see the influence that Marshall has on the game. The little things he does are just brilliant. STOP ******* DROPPING HIM!

Schoey seems to have had a profound impact on the midfield already. Think he also might be encouraging the players to get into the heads of the opposition and dish out a bit of chit chat.

Seriously cannot love Dan Houston anymore than i already do. Whenever he has the ball I am at peace with the world.

I just hope we didn't simplify the game plan to a more direct fast longer kicking style of play due to the forecast, that's what we need to do every single game.
If this club every reverts back to anti port adelaide chippy defensive scared soft weak possession based footy at any level ever again... Burn down the club rooms.. Run the imposters out of town. Never want to see that again.

He sure is. Love how he picks up the ground ball at pace so cleanly and barely loses stride. So gutsy too. He's a beauty.
Freo board last night saying we nailed our draft picks especially Rozee BUT that Butters was close to their pick and they're
very envious of us getting him.
In their own individual way both of them along with Duursma bring their own talents and let's not forget Burton and for mine
our most important pick-up Lycett. I didn't want to lose Polly n Chad but sheesh have I moved on or what.
They're all a breath of fresh air that was badly needed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back