Preview Round 6: Essendon vs Collingwood, MCG, ANZAC Day, 3:20 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
When are the teams released for Thursday? I hope we knock these campaigners of their perch, ******* smug campaigners make me irate.
Wednesday.

Once again everyone saying lets how they go against the Pies.

Llyod was quick to point out on FC that's its not just run and gun he showed some footage of us applying defensive pressure and tackles that made North turn over the ball and we score on the back of it.

I think our style will push the Pies and reckon we will beat them. Essendon are the quickest side in the comp in moving the ball and running.

Last time we met I felt it was our slow start that cost us. For the other 3 quarters it was basically an arm wrestle with them getting a few late ones. Hoping for a round 14 2018 vs West Coast like start!

The glow of the win has worn off and it's left me pessimistic. We've beaten 9th, 17th & 18th on the ladder. You can only beat who you play, but it's left me thinking we could be overrating ourselves on the back of some average opponents. Fingers crossed my doubts are unfounded.

As for the outs: Hams clearly. Bags please. Realistically Parish.

The glow of the win has worn off and it's left me pessimistic. We've beaten 9th, 17th & 18th on the ladder. You can only beat who you play, but it's left me thinking we could be overrating ourselves on the back of some average opponents. Fingers crossed my doubts are unfounded.

As for the outs: Hams clearly. Bags please. Realistically Parish.

LOL, if thats the way you want to look at it....

Collingwood has beaten

Richmond: 10th, (without Rance and key injuries to Richmond during the game IE Riewoldt..)
Brisbane: 9th (Smashed them the same as us?)
Western Bulldogs: 14th (Barley beat a team who lost to ******* Carlton lol)

Collingwood will go in favorites no doubt but * me dead boys we are right in this if we play the style we have for the last 3 weeks.

LOL, if thats the way you want to look at it....

Collingwood has beaten

Richmond: 10th, (without Rance and key injuries to Richmond during the game IE Riewoldt..)
Brisbane: 9th (Smashed them the same as us?)
Western Bulldogs: 14th (Barley beat a team who lost to ******* Carlton lol)

Collingwood will go in favorites no doubt but **** me dead boys we are right in this if we play the style we have for the last 3 weeks.

hahaha very true. i go through waves of optimism & pessimism in the lead up to games like this... i guess the 2 days of work prior to the game has got me a little pessimistic ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hahaha very true. i go through waves of optimism & pessimism in the lead up to games like this... i guess the 2 days of work prior to the game has got me a little pessimistic ;)

we win 4-2.

we lose 3-3

season still back on track regardless.

As long as the boys don't lapse to round 1 and 2 efforts then i'm just happy to be back on an even ledger.

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2019-04-19/analysis-freeflowing-pies-make-a-statement

I enjoyed this article on the Pies website. It’s an analysis of their Round 5 game against Brisbane and makes comparisons to their earlier “stodgy ball movement” etc. prior to this game. Statistically they were very similar to us against Brisbane, so basically when they played Brisbane they beat Brisbane the same way we did the week before. I actually tried to watch their game against Brissy but Foxtel downloaded the replay in such poor quality it was painful and I gave up and listened to it instead. Probably says more about the Lions than about Collingwood’s preferred style anyway, but I guess the main thing to take away from that for us is that they can match us if we try for a shootout.

I also saw some coverage at one point, possibly halfway through that game or on 360 or something, where they were discussing Grundy’s hitouts. He gets a prolific number of them but only a tiny number of them are hitouts to advantage. So we may well just rove off Grundy for the day, midfield vs midfield.

Over on MatterofStats there were a few interesting things;
Scoring shots per game are almost equal between the two clubs. Collingwood tend to restrict their opponents’ scoring though whereas we have been letting them get as many as we have. We have a lower conversion rate against though (our opponents are more likely to be inaccurate when shooting for goal). Collingwood’s conversion against is 10th highest in the comp. It’s the one area that they are worse than us on those stats.

The other thing is Collingwood haven’t lost a first quarter all year. Their first quarter percentage is 198%... they score almost double what their opponents do. This percentage is because they restrict their opponent to 1-2 goals and kick 3-4 themselves. Our losing games we’ve scored absolutely nothing in the first quarter. But the games where we’ve won we’ve scored 6-7 goals in the first quarter against Melbourne and Brisbane, and 3 against North (who kicked a bunch of behinds so our score at the end of that quarter is more flattering than it might’ve been).

So basically a fast start is going to be important for us and they are reasonably good at defending against such things. Their second quarters are crap though (ours are too but not as bad), perhaps it ends up as a bit of a seesaw game with each team dominating by turns.

I actually think Hams was one of our best on Friday. Especially when Norf was still in it.

:rolleyes: Really?

Don’t get me wrong, I was happy the kid took a nice mark & goal late, but he seriously struggled for the most part.

Fumbled & stumbled his way through the game & think he’d get eaten up Anzac Day.

Would be amazed if he holds his spot.

Sounds like you're gonna need some pre-game drinks.
He'll have had 15 hours of pre-game drinks on the plane, followed by a further 6-7 hours of pre-game drinks after that ;) Fair sesh that one.

He'll have had 15 hours of pre-game drinks on the plane, followed by a further 6-7 hours of pre-game drinks after that ;) Fair sesh that one.
Isn't that a normal pre-game session for most here? I'm just judging based on the gameday thread posting standard.

:rolleyes: Really?

Don’t get me wrong, I was happy the kid took a nice mark & goal late, but he seriously struggled for the most part.

Fumbled & stumbled his way through the game & think he’d get eaten up Anzac Day.

Would be amazed if he holds his spot.
While fish was a little too kind (I certainly wouldn't say he was BOG), I think you've gone too far the other way. He was top 3 for distance covered on Friday, after the two Browns, and top 3 for max speed after Merrett and Saad (ahead of McKenna). Actually first for average speed, averaged 9.5km/h all day. Because of that, he was at a lot of contests tackling and pressuring, blocking his man out of marking contests to give our guys a chance. 5 tackles, 4 inside 50s, DE running at 70%. The main thing he needs to work on really is his ability to stand up in a tackle, since a couple of times he attempted to dispose of the ball while being tackled and was more impeded than he should have been. But that's probably his age/physical maturity showing. Not a bad debut at all. Bet he's sore though.

You can see his "extended highlights" here (includes all his turnovers and clangers etc. It's every stat he had all game edited into one video with bookmarks): https://www.afl.com.au/stats/stats-pro#/Discover/CD_I1008190/Ham-Brayden

Wouldn't go as far as to say he'll hold his place, with Smith and Zaka back in he almost certainly loses it, especially coming in as an emergency as he did. But he did a lot of really nice things and the pressure of the big stage didn't seem to bother him. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see him play a few more games later this year.

While fish was a little too kind (I certainly wouldn't say he was BOG), I think you've gone too far the other way. He was top 3 for distance covered on Friday, after the two Browns, and top 3 for max speed after Merrett and Saad (ahead of McKenna). Actually first for average speed, averaged 9.5km/h all day. Because of that, he was at a lot of contests tackling and pressuring, blocking his man out of marking contests to give our guys a chance. 5 tackles, 4 inside 50s, DE running at 70%. The main thing he needs to work on really is his ability to stand up in a tackle, since a couple of times he attempted to dispose of the ball while being tackled and was more impeded than he should have been. But that's probably his age/physical maturity showing. Not a bad debut at all. Bet he's sore though.

You can see his "extended highlights" here (includes all his turnovers and clangers etc. It's every stat he had all game edited into one video with bookmarks): https://www.afl.com.au/stats/stats-pro#/Discover/CD_I1008190/Ham-Brayden

Wouldn't go as far as to say he'll hold his place, with Smith and Zaka back in he almost certainly loses it, especially coming in as an emergency as he did. But he did a lot of really nice things and the pressure of the big stage didn't seem to bother him. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see him play a few more games later this year.

Didn’t mean to come across too harsh, because I like the kid. Loved his pace & energy, but his touch (which was lacking) will most certainly come with more senior exposure no doubt throughout the year.

Just think this week isn’t the time for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back