Preview Round 6: Essendon vs Collingwood, MCG, ANZAC Day, 3:20 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Some posters on Blitz saying Ham and Parish are the ones omitted for Smith and Zaka.
If true, that is amazing. I'm flummoxed at the thought that we would actually submit ourselves to carrying Baguley at this stage when we could replace him with at least two others who could play his role better th han he does. Team hasn't even been announced and I'm crook about it already.

I think Baguely will be more exposed for his form slump than Parish. Unsurprising but not exactly happy about it.
Playing Smith in Baguley’s role would be a waste. We have 8-9 mids every week, it makes sense that one of those would be dropped rather than adding another forward rotation to the midfield group.

Bags probably comes out for Begley or Laverde in a week or two. I think Fridge is unrestricted minutes in the VFL next weekend then it’ll be on form between him and Laverde for that spot.

Why are some people suggesting resting players when... a) It’s Round bloody 6 & b) We have a 10 day break after ANZAC Day before playing Geelong.

No. Just no.

You don’t stuff around too much with a winning lineup. Smith & Zaharakis come in (if fit) as they are best 22 and two of Ham, Baguley, Guelfi out. A very difficult choice that I wouldn’t like to be making!

Playing Smith in Baguley’s role would be a waste. We have 8-9 mids every week, it makes sense that one of those would be dropped rather than adding another forward rotation to the midfield group.

Bags probably comes out for Begley or Laverde in a week or two. I think Fridge is unrestricted minutes in the VFL next weekend then it’ll be on form between him and Laverde for that spot.
I don't think so. If we bring in Langford for instance, it doesn't necessarily follow that Smith has to play midfield at all. Rather, it just means that the option is there. Essentially it makes the 22 selected more versatile and gives the coaches more to work with should we need to adjust our structure on the day. We select Bags and we're carrying a small defender who the game has gone past. If we do select him, I'll barrack for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

relatively speaking.
Not sure how playing friday then thurs is any worse than playing a sat night then the following friday. Its a difference of a few hours in terms of turnaround. but still.

My read is mainly on the basis that Langford missed the VFL game and trained with the AFL group. reckon he's got a call up for Anzac Day.
Myers is usually who we drop/rest for him.

Though id prefer if we put Parish in the middle more, and Langford forward. He's a good size to play HFF and get up and down the ground.
Great kick, good hands.
but Parish is better in the middle for us.
Fair enough. I just see 6 days as a normal break and am not reading too much into Langford. Players get niggles all the time and who knows if he is fit.

Generally speaking the ideal break time according to most coaches is 7 or 8 days
Well given games are played Fri-Sun, you are going to have a lot of breaks between 6-8 days. These should be standard. I also have heard that players don't care about 6 day breaks as being any problem.

As I say, if 6 days is a short break, then players are soft. Play Sunday one week, Saturday the next. 6 days. No one cares when this happens.

Fair enough. I just see 6 days as a normal break and am not reading too much into Langford. Players get niggles all the time and who knows if he is fit.
it isnt that bad. nowhere near as bad as what the Dees & Tigers are contending with. Rich v Coll thurs night and Ess v Melb friday would have made a lot of sense.

Does seem that for Langford to have a week of VFL and then train with the AFL team over the VFL, he's on the board as an in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back