Was the recruitment of Lance 'Buddy' Franklin, the undoing of the Swans?

Remove this Banner Ad

What club wouldn't take Buddy then?

This is stupid. The Swans have been up for years in a big way thanks to him, it's not his fault they are down.

No.

It's been posted 1,000 times before but the undoing of the Swans was signing Kurt Tippett.

Sydney don't sign Franklin in 2013 and they're not likely to be any better than they are now. If they don't sign Tippett and do sign Franklin the AFL probably don't panic and axe the CoLA. Most of the players Sydney have lost haven't really hurt them. Sure Tom Mitchell has been great for Hawthorn but he arrived with O'Meara and a bit of a blank canvas. Sydney still had Hannebery, Kennedy, Parker (3 AAs the year Mitchell left) and Jack so another inside mid wasn't worth a fat contract. Almost a mirror image of Josh Kennedy going the other way in 2009. Good young player but when you have Mitchell, Sewell, Lewis he's not going to have the same impact.

I'm no real expert on COLA personally. It always felt like more of a Vic Media focus than something you heard much about in NSW. But having lived in several cities, Sydney is more expensive to live in and get around.

9 years was always a bit of a whoa thing at the time, but if he can deliver 7 years of decent football, then job done imo. Swans had a good era, just uncapitalised in 2016-17 (clearly the Hawks were unbeatable on the day in 2014).
COLA was never about cost of living, it was about giving Sydney a leg up so they could compete in a hostile market.

It's the length of the contract that's going to hurt them the most.

But i'm sure they knew this when they made the offer, they also probably needed that offer to get him.

100% had to offer it.

If they offered 6 years Hawthorn likely match the offer, meaning he stays or he chooses Swans.

If he chooses Swans then they have to trade quite seriously to satisfy Hawks (Buddy worth much more than AFL granted pick 19).

Then there's Mills who we know was bid on at pick 3 so Swans again trade heavily to get enough points for him, which would be difficult after satisfying Hawthorn, and who do they get rid of (and to which team)? Or Mills ends up at Carlton.

Another bash Buddy/bash the Swans for getting Buddy thread. Another chance for Hawk supporters to lament.

Swans have got value from Buddy. Maybe the thread should ask if Tippett was the undoing of the Swans, where they got no value.

It was good for them. Win or lose, people tune in (and attend) to watch Buddy Franklin.

One player doesn't win a premiership. He's played a lot of great football in his time at the Swans.

Think it was the Tippett recruitment that stuffed them up.
He is still on their list but isn't going to play its a lot of dead money that could have been used on Mitchell or used to attract another quality player or two

Another bash Buddy/bash the Swans for getting Buddy thread. Another chance for Hawk supporters to lament.

Swans have got value from Buddy. Maybe the thread should ask if Tippett was the undoing of the Swans, where they got no value.

Why would Hawthorn supporters lament? It's been two premierships to none since Franklin left and the Swans look the furthest away from a flag as they ever have with him on their list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not knocking Lance Franklin at all because if someone dangles a juicy carrot in front of you why
would you not eat it, but what was wrong with five years. Any contract that long needs a lot of luck
with injuries to serve it out and the coach coming out and saying he only trained for twenty minutes
last year that makes them look stupid at best. I have seen a lot of busted arses shipped out of
Hawthorn over the years, a bigger question would be if he had gone to GWS would they have won
flags or would they have had to evacuate their bowels all over the competition sooner.

I think the premise of this thread is moronic at best. They played in 2 GFs, multiple top 4s and probably added a 0 to the bottom line.
Yes. Second this post. Absolutely no way this was a failure. Two GF appearances in which Franklin kicked 4 and played incredibly well when his colleagues wintered under pressure. Has been an out and out superstar.

I am not knocking Lance Franklin at all because if someone dangles a juicy carrot in front of you why
would you not eat it, but what was wrong with five years. Any contract that long needs a lot of luck
with injuries to serve it out and the coach coming out and saying he only trained for twenty minutes
last year that makes them look stupid at best. I have seen a lot of busted arses shipped out of
Hawthorn over the years, a bigger question would be if he had gone to GWS would they have won
flags or would they have had to evacuate their bowels all over the competition sooner.
Why can’t he go on? Does not in any way look like slowing down. Training loads are minimal, still fast, agile, strong and kicking goals.

They competed in two premierships with him. No player will promise a club a flag. Considering everything they did well after recruiting him.
I remember having an argument with someone on here once that said he was a failure because he ‘single handedly’ didn’t win them a flag.

Makes sense if you’re an idiot.

A question that has been asked many times before, but is now gaining some serious traction. With Buddy's reduced input this year, due to injury, and the subsequent tumble down the ladder of the Swans, did Sydney trade away their future for the 'now'?

While undoubtedly Buddy will go down as one of the all-time greats of the game, the elusive premiership that was promised by his arrival now seems like a distant memory. With his contract increasing every year and his output not improving, in hindsight this seems like a blunder by the club that prides itself on culture - the 'Bloods' culture. Giving all that money to one man (or two if you include Tippett), whilst players like Brownlow Medalist Tom Mitchell, Toby Nankervis (premiership ruckman), Dan Hanneberry, Gary Rohan, Nic Newman and Shane Mumford were pushed out, seems to have created a situation where that once renowned culture is now showing cracks. An inability to attract big name players due to salary cap issues caused by players like Franklin (and previously Tippett), have led to circumstances where players like Mills and Parker are regressing at a steady rate. While I don't think it is solely Franklin and his pay causing this, I do think it plays some part when such a big chunk of the cap is being used for one man.

It can be argued that Franklin's recruitment increased membership, marketing and corporate profitability for the club since his arrival (he really does bring fans through the gates), but for the long-term outlook, where membership sales could drop once the Swans bottom out, has the the short-term gain been worth the possible long-term downturn? I'd argue no, but that remains to be seen.

I think the Swans have been a brilliant club, and Geelong have a good history with them (no bad blood), so this doesn't come from a place of malice. I am genuinely concerned that one of the stalwarts of the competition in terms of competitiveness, is now dropping off due to salary cap mismanagement from those in a position of power, with delusions of grandeur.

I would argue that retaining Mitchell, one of Nank or Mumford, Hanneberry and Rohan, would be preferable to 3-5 years of Franklin, and a now retired Tippett. With players like McVeigh, Kennedy, Jack, Smith, Grundy and of course Franklin coming into the twilight of their careers, it does seem to beg the question - 'where to from here?'

What are other's thoughts?

TheRednWhite Would love to know where you stand?
Why do people associate Franklin with a premiership at Sydney? Do people not get that it’s a team effort? That Franklin is just one player?

How was a premiership PROMISED upon his arrival? I mean that’s just ludicrous. Who exactly (other than dumb as * football media commentators) would have said this? Just because Franklin was part of the side he can’t deliver them a flag.

Absolute amateur hour this one.

The Swans wouldn’t be the Swans without a Lance Franklin (or a Barry Hall or a Tony Lockett) prowling the forward line. And Warwick Capper too - even though he’s not a power forward, fans paid the price of entry to watch him stand on heads in the days when the Swans otherwise sucked.

The Swans love their big power forwards. It’s part of their DNA. Whenever their power forward du jour goes anywhere near the footy the crowd atmosphere goes up to 11. Seriously.

Footy clubs are all about giving their fans an identity and making them proud of that identity. Winning games of footy is one way of achieving that, and Swans have done that better than most in recent years. Winning Premierships is another way, but that’s hard and a bit of a lottery - Swans have certainly been in the running. In Sydney’s case, recruiting the dominant power forward in the game is yet another guaranteed risk-free way of achieving that and I’d be surprised if there are any Swans folks who felt that Buddy isn’t worth every red cent he’s cost and more.

Last edited:
Yes. Second this post. Absolutely no way this was a failure. Two GF appearances in which Franklin kicked 4 and played incredibly well when his colleagues wintered under pressure. Has been an out and out superstar.

Find it interesting that it's two Demons supporters who can't embrace a simple amount of cordial behaviour, on a non-incendiary debate thread. Make of that what you will.

If you're going to call it moronic, that's your opinion, but name calling (or seconding name calling) doesn't really strengthen your argument at all. Just lowers the impact of your argument.

I was genuinely asking the question, given what facts I've had available to me. Others have pointed out some interesting contrary arguments, that bring a lot to the discussion. Just calling me a moron or dismissing what I've said doesn't add anything to the thread, just means that you haven't compiled your own argument to amicably overrule mine.

Lol @ justifying Franklins contract by comparing his output to another massively overpaid player and a forever injured player.
Franklin is the best player in the AFL and has been since 08. You don’t need to justify his contract, he will probably kick close to 1200 goals by the time he is done.

Why do people associate Franklin with a premiership at Sydney? Do people not get that it’s a team effort? That Franklin is just one player?

How was a premiership PROMISED upon his arrival? I mean that’s just ludicrous. Who exactly (other than dumb as **** football media commentators) would have said this? Just because Franklin was part of the side he can’t deliver them a flag.

Absolute amateur hour this one.

I remember having an argument with someone on here once that said he was a failure because he ‘single handedly’ didn’t win them a flag.

Makes sense if you’re an idiot.

Yeah so you're just starting to piss me off now. Come in here and derail a thread, just because you think your opinion overrules everyone else's. Closing the thread now, because it's just turned into your little jerk off fest over your own point of view.

Find it interesting that it's two Demons supporters who can't embrace a simple amount of cordial behaviour, on a non-incendiary debate thread. Make of that what you will.

If you're going to call it moronic, that's your opinion, but name calling (or seconding name calling) doesn't really strengthen your argument at all. Just lowers the impact of your argument.

I was genuinely asking the question, given what facts I've had available to me. Others have pointed out some interesting contrary arguments, that bring a lot to the discussion. Just calling me a moron or dismissing what I've said doesn't add anything to the thread, just means that you haven't compiled your own argument to amicably overrule mine.
Who promised a flag on his arrival?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back