State Focus WA 2019 - Western Australia's junior footy talent

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Understand the school wanting commitment, but surely that would mean if the kid was playing junior footy not senior footy?......oh well I guess Sharp picking up 40 possessions for Aquinas will sharpen his skills for the up coming carnival next month.

I see Jez Sharp not selected in EF league side or colts side on Sat..injured/rested?..been playing league for EF when available...being an Aquinas boy, surely PSA footy doesn't take precedence over WAFL league footy?..
It does.

I guess with Sharp being part of the AFL academy, just thought the AFL would have the final say....but hey good on the school for sticking it up to the big guy.....

Well the U/18 state squad has been announced....plus a train on group. EF with 11 reps in total, with Perth, Cl and SD next best dressed. No Cox from EP or Kelly from SF...or even anyone from those two clubs.....surprise or no surprise? Looks a talented squad.....going off the EF colts site Max Murphy is 19 already(24/3/00)...isn't he too old for the squad?....or is there a rule for over agers? Thoughts on the squad from folk better in the know would be appreciated...always someone unlucky to miss out....who would they be?
surely Wallrodt is unlucky to miss out?

I guess with Sharp being part of the AFL academy, just thought the AFL would have the final say....but hey good on the school for sticking it up to the big guy.....
its always been that way. PSA is compulsory and wafl clubs won't play anyone who has played another game of footy that week. hence why the PSA comp has been or getting stronger than Colts as players get a run in Colts purely because the PSA boys are not there.

its always been that way. PSA is compulsory and wafl clubs won't play anyone who has played another game of footy that week. hence why the PSA comp has been or getting stronger than Colts as players get a run in Colts purely because the PSA boys are not there.
I was thinking maybe the colts season be reduced and fixture for the WAFL and PSA not to conflict.

Any talented kids not playing PSA can play seconds.

happy for people to disagree, just a thought bubble.

I was thinking maybe the colts season be reduced and fixture for the WAFL and PSA not to conflict.

Any talented kids not playing PSA can play seconds.

happy for people to disagree, just a thought bubble.
I think it's always going to conflict- but that's the choice made when enrolling in a PSA school. It's made very clear that your commitment is to PSA first.
The quality of football has always been good in the PSA competition and as such the better players have benefitted.
Scouts etc certainly watch the PSA competition and these days with technology the talented kids are seen whether it's WAFL or PSA.
The PSA kids play the first 4, then any bye weeks and then if they are good enough, and their WAFL team plays finals they play finals footy.
Exemptions from PSA can be granted, but ultimately most tend to honour their enrollment requirements

I think it's always going to conflict- but that's the choice made when enrolling in a PSA school. It's made very clear that your commitment is to PSA first.
The quality of football has always been good in the PSA competition and as such the better players have benefitted.
Scouts etc certainly watch the PSA competition and these days with technology the talented kids are seen whether it's WAFL or PSA.
The PSA kids play the first 4, then any bye weeks and then if they are good enough, and their WAFL team plays finals they play finals footy.
Exemptions from PSA can be granted, but ultimately most tend to honour their enrollment requirements
Is the PSA on the weekends or during the week?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Makes the Colts a waste of time.

Kids playing who have no hope of playing WAFL seconds.

It was never an issue until the school year entry age changed and Colts went from u/19 to u/18. It created a double wammy, whereby both comps are competing for players. Before that Colts was a natural graduation from PSA.
Lift the draft age and it will be fixed or just run the whole thing as one comp with there being PSA conference and WAFL conference and then winner of both comps playing off for state premiers.
It will help with which is the better comp argument too.

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app

For those who missed it, West Perth colts beat East Freo colts in a nail biter on Saturday. I think the Peel fans will have a lot to say about state selections if their side topple East Freo this year.

A lot resources goes into a colts team.

Not sure it’s value for money.

I remember John Todd wanting to get rid of the Colts a few years ago.

From this comment I'm not sure if you understand how the colts system works.

Having been involved in colts and watched PSA for a number of years now the colts competition is a better quality competition at the moment. Lots of kids getting run in PSA sides cant even make it onto the colts lists.

With the development of the u16's futures competition the wafl clubs are now putting a lot more time and effort into the development of young players.

Years ago the PSA schools offered sports scholarships to talented kids, and this did boost the quality of the PSA comp. However this practice has all but ended (with a few exceptions).

This year only 13 out of the 40 of the kids from the state academy have come from PSA footy.

If it wasn't for the colts system the other 27 players wouldn't have a competition to play in.

Undoubtedly you get some quality top end players in the PSA comp but the depth is not the same as the colts.

Peel have already beaten EF colts this year....not sure why Peel have so few guys in the squad compared to EF....is it an age thing....are Peel playing more over agers than other teams perhaps?....Subi played a lot of over agers last year, dominated and won the colts flag....this year they a winless and last....

Peel have already beaten EF colts this year....not sure why Peel have so few guys in the squad compared to EF....is it an age thing....are Peel playing more over agers than other teams perhaps?....Subi played a lot of over agers last year, dominated and won the colts flag....this year they a winless and last....

The number of over agers you can play is set by the WAFL. This year I believe it has changed and you can only have six year 2000 born players in any team.

Last years over agers were kids born before July 99. Subi didn't play a lot of over agers they had a lot of top agers, and this has hurt them this year.

Historically Claremont have dominatd the colts comp and they have always played a lot of top agers.

The quality of your colts team has nothing to do with the number of players in State squads. Subi dominated the colts comp last year and only had three players in the 18's squad.

A couple of years ago East Freo were easily the best colts team throughout the home and away season and hardly had any in the 18's squad.

The quality of your colts teams depends on your depth. Peel have great depth as they have the biggest district. Historically Subi have been belted in the colts as they have the smallest district. East Freo have a good development system and this is shown by there recent consistency in the colts comp.

Last edited:

Having been involved in colts and watched PSA for a number of years now the colts competition is a better quality competition at the moment. Lots of kids getting run in PSA sides cant even make it onto the colts lists.

With the development of the u16's futures competition the wafl clubs are now putting a lot more time and effort into the development of young players.

Years ago the PSA schools offered sports scholarships to talented kids, and this did boost the quality of the PSA comp. However this practice has all but ended (with a few exceptions).

This year only 13 out of the 40 of the kids from the state academy have come from PSA footy.

If it wasn't for the colts system the other 27 players wouldn't have a competition to play in.

Undoubtedly you get some quality top end players in the PSA comp but the depth is not the same as the colts.

Great post, I don't know enough about the PSA system to comment but had the same sentiments about the Colts system. A family friend told me recently that their son who had never played football before was getting a call up to play PSA Footy but I know of many good players struggling to makes Colts sides.

Great post, I don't know enough about the PSA system to comment but had the same sentiments about the Colts system. A family friend told me recently that their son who had never played football before was getting a call up to play PSA Footy but I know of many good players struggling to makes Colts sides.
There's a requirement to play a sport at the PSA school and if it's football the better players tend to be in the 1st teams.
With the four games prior to the PSA season commencing, bye weeks and finals footy the talented PSA kids are getting the best of both worlds.

Thanks for your post.

I really "thought" a large number of PSA kids are in the Colts system.

In Melbourne, Sandringham two years ago played 50 kids during the year due to Private Schools kids coming in and out the team.

I assume that was the case with the Colts system in WA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back