Who can/could kick a goal from 50 on the opposite foot?

Remove this Banner Ad

Some I remember growing up were Joel Bowden and Leon Cameron were superb long kicks and kicked a number of long range goals. Greg Tivendale was a random one but om the run he could launch a few from 55+. As was Deledio earlier in his career.

Surely the thread being about kicking goals from 50 on the opposite foot completely excludes Bowden and Tivendale?

Cameron though was the best opposite foot kick I have seen.

Aker is the GOAT on his non preferred from distance.

Look at the first goal, 20 seconds in, there is no way you can tell that it's his non preferred, just inside 50 on the run. I couldn't find any from outside 50 on the left but there were plenty.

Aker was good, but there is only one GOAT

Surely the thread being about kicking goals from 50 on the opposite foot completely excludes Bowden and Tivendale?

Cameron though was the best opposite foot kick I have seen.
Tivendale probably yes, very hit or miss it would either be a massive shank or low hard and 50+.

Bowden I think I remember could use both feet, his left was absolutely preferred but maybe my memory is cheating me. He was a very skilled player by foot though.

Cameron yes could absolutely launch them. That was his weapon.

Last edited:
Jack Gunston is definitely capable. One of the best kicks for goal in the comp in terms of accuracy, length, on the run, left or right foot, mercurial snaps and dribbles.

In terms of the all time greats in this department Akermanis leaps to mind, probably because I remember him doing it in big games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leon Cameron was just as good at full tilt (the mark of a truly ambidextrous player) on his left as he was on his right, and he kicked very long and low. Akermanis on the snap was great. Delidio was good of either and got good distance.

Only 40-45 metres but cleared the fence quite comfortably. Hardly a spectacular goal but brilliant considering how natural it looked on the opposite.

Ablett Snr, Akermanis, D.Jarman all come to mind but this is one of my favourite goals of all time. Dunstall on the left foot (not quite 50 out but close enough). And I dig the Kraftwerkesque soundtrack

Some I remember growing up were Joel Bowden and Leon Cameron were superb long kicks and kicked a number of long range goals. Greg Tivendale was a random one but om the run he could launch a few from 55+. As was Deledio earlier in his career.

For some reason Dusty doesn't take these shots on anymore but he was certainly capable of them earlier in his career. Jayden Short can launch them too but not sure about his opposite foot.

Tigers had a succession of great kickers off the half back flank - Bowden, Cameron, Tivendale, Chris Newman.

Tigers had a succession of great kickers off the half back flank - Bowden, Cameron, Tivendale, Chris Newman.
Tivendale was either amazing or junk, shanked a few but when he hit them well it looked great. Reckon you could add Deledio to the list, a great long kick off both feet earlier in his career before injuries got to him. Still good but not quite as regular.

Aker still probably the best in that regard though, from what I remember.

Shuey, Not from 50 but very good of both sides.
I came here to say Shuey. He wouldn’t be able to do it on the set shot, but on the run I’d back him in to get the distance. Perhaps only just, maybe would be collected with someone on the line, but he’d make the distance IMO.

Josh Kennedy is my other pick from WC. Kicked the winner against Adelaide a few years ago from 50m out on his left, and isn’t afraid to kick for goal on his left on the run.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back