AUSTRALIA A TOUR OF ENGLAND - SQUADS

Remove this Banner Ad

There’s batsmen in front of him. All that played in the last test minus Burns (injury) and Laubaughne are there. Add in Smith, Warner and Bancroft (they will want a top order bat cover). There isn’t too many other batting positions, maybe one at most.
Generally a squad of 17 is picked for England. So you'd think there would be 8 batsman with one cover each for the top & middle order. There will be two keepers as well, so unless he really bombs out in the 4 day games - wade will have to be in the squad.

On U FEEL PRIME using BigFooty.com mobile app

Generally a squad of 17 is picked for England. So you'd think there would be 8 batsman with one cover each for the top & middle order. There will be two keepers as well, so unless he really bombs out in the 4 day games - wade will have to be in the squad.

If the squad is 17 I agree and perhaps Handscomb might be in to.

Think they will take an extra bowler plus an extra genuine keeper. We can’t have Handscomb as the spare keeper I wouldn’t think. Maybe Wade does go as the spare keeper

Looks like Burns is expected back in time for the Aus v Aus A match. Not exactly sure which side he’ll be on but from JL’s comments it sounds like he is keen to have him play. Will be an interesting match

Looks like Burns is expected back in time for the Aus v Aus A match. Not exactly sure which side he’ll be on but from JL’s comments it sounds like he is keen to have him play. Will be an interesting match
I would assume you have the two front runners (Burns and Warner) play one side and the two most likely back ups (Harris and Bancroft, assuming he gets pulled out from county for that match) in the other.

Pucovski a big ton in the current game,if the ashes squad is 17 he must be considered even if he does not play a test.The experience will help develop his cricket.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No idea how Head isn’t at the WC either.

His bowling wasn’t good enough so lost out to the Big Show and last night probably vindicated that.

Shocking bowling performance all round nearly losing having posted 350. Marsh and Hazlewood proving the selectors right in not picking them as well

His bowling wasn’t good enough so lost out to the Big Show and last night probably vindicated that.

Shocking bowling performance all round nearly losing having posted 350. Marsh and Hazlewood proving the selectors right in not picking them as well
Marsh has been excellent on limited opportunities batting wise and has bowled very well in all bar the last game. Good to see you're not being short sighted as usual eddie.

Marsh has been excellent on limited opportunities batting wise and has bowled very well in all bar the last game. Good to see you're not being short sighted as usual eddie.

I tend to agree with Eddie on the bowling performances last night.We struggled to defend 350 but it must have been a great batting wicket.But you are right about Marsh up to this game.The exciting part for me is Pucovski,the future looks good if he continues to improve like this.

Mitch has been awesome in these game so far?? I don't think it was ever in question that he could be selected for the world cup, it were obviously only if Stoinis injury was significant or not.

Pucovski we have not had someone like him since a Young R Ponting scoring hundreds at a young age

Made his debut Feb 2017.21 matches,29 innn. 3 First Class 100's,4 50's and as mentioned 1 List A 100.Always remember Ponting reeling off big scores for Tasmania as a 15/16 year old.A long way to go but I think we might see more of him on the test scene next summer if he retains this form

Made his debut Feb 2017.21 matches,29 innn. 3 First Class 100's,4 50's and as mentioned 1 List A 100.Always remember Ponting reeling off big scores for Tasmania as a 15/16 year old.A long way to go but I think we might see more of him on the test scene next summer if he retains this form
Tasmania u/19s maybe. Ponting didn't even debut for Tasmania until he was nearly 18.

Tasmania u/19s maybe. Ponting didn't even debut for Tasmania until he was nearly 18.

Sorry you are correct on Ponting.I must be thinking of another young player that went on to play test cricket or perhaps people were speaking highly of him when he was that age.

Interestingly for whatever reason in Australia, batting prodigies (say under 19) are few and far between. Generally seems to be the all-rounders who make the big impression through under age cricket and succeed in their early introduction to state cricket.

Interestingly for whatever reason in Australia, batting prodigies (say under 19) are few and far between. Generally seems to be the all-rounders who make the big impression through under age cricket and succeed in their early introduction to state cricket.

I think traditionaly for a younger batting prodigie we have had a strong batting unit and it has been very hard to break in unless you have scored big and at the right time.

The ones that spring to mind for me have been Ponting Martyn and I think clarke was around 23 when he made his debut ???......Renshaw was young and started well but unfortunately hasn't gone on with it

I remember Martyn as a youngster scoring 3 hundreds in a row to get himself into the team against the Windies and South Africa...then he was unfairly treated scapegoated when he made 9 at the scg against the saffers... then it took years for him to get back.... I think the selectors where a little bit worried that this might happen again with a youngster so they want them to get plenty of first class cricket under there belts before trying them in the test arena

I think traditionaly for a younger batting prodigie we have had a strong batting unit and it has been very hard to break in unless you have scored big and at the right time.

The ones that spring to mind for me have been Ponting Martyn and I think clarke was around 23 when he made his debut ???......Renshaw was young and started well but unfortunately hasn't gone on with it

I remember Martyn as a youngster scoring 3 hundreds in a row to get himself into the team against the Windies and South Africa...then he was unfairly treated scapegoated when he made 9 at the scg against the saffers... then it took years for him to get back.... I think the selectors where a little bit worried that this might happen again with a youngster so they want them to get plenty of first class cricket under there belts before trying them in the test arena

Yep and in this case I support this decision. See how he is after the A tour. I'd even support him going on the Ashes tour not to play but purely to experience being around the team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back