Play Nice The Final Quarter/Australian Dream

Remove this Banner Ad

Gary Lyon, what I said, it’s not racist...it’s ok to fu** your best mates wife though!
He shits me

The Marngrook panel really delivered the penny dropper for me in that the experts are the wrong experts commenting when they lived it.

I sincerely hope Barry Hall called out Brereton on that panel when talking about the war cry...did that happen? I ******* hope it did out the back in the alley way!

Very moving documentary! Only began supporting the Swans recently because I moved here from another country but I was genuinely tearing up watching how the swans supporters stood with him for the round 18 game! Unbelievably proud of the Swans family, just a pity it took him to take a break from the game for the rest of the AFL to react positively.
Secondly, I knew nothing about Sam Newman before the documentary but * me.... he’s someone who will never have my respect. Reminds me of a kid looking to get a reaction out of people no matter what it takes, just for the sake of people acknowledging him. Spoofer and he should be ashamed of himself along with that Collingwood president. Can’t remember his name nor do I care but both are absolute racists and should get jail for the hatred they helped create.
I’m full of emotion after watching it and can only imagine how raw it is for some people here as it only happened 5 years ago (how are people still so backward thinking, I thought humans learnt to accept people for who they are years ago!!???!??) but I just want to say to everyone associated with the swans at that time... fans, players, coaches, no matter who you are. Hold your heads high because from an outsider who just started supporting recently, I could not be more proud of what I saw from the Swans family. It’s an honour to be one of you and as long as we stand up for each other and for what is right, both in sport and in life, and do what we can for our team and family, we will always stand together!

Swans For Life! #IStandWithGoodes

Very moving documentary! Only began supporting the Swans recently because I moved here from another country but I was genuinely tearing up watching how the swans supporters stood with him for the round 18 game! Unbelievably proud of the Swans family, just a pity it took him to take a break from the game for the rest of the AFL to react positively.
Secondly, I knew nothing about Sam Newman before the documentary but fu** me.... he’s someone who will never have my respect. Reminds me of a kid looking to get a reaction out of people no matter what it takes, just for the sake of people acknowledging him. Spoofer and he should be ashamed of himself along with that Collingwood president. Can’t remember his name nor do I care but both are absolute racists and should get jail for the hatred they helped create.
I’m full of emotion after watching it and can only imagine how raw it is for some people here as it only happened 5 years ago (how are people still so backward thinking, I thought humans learnt to accept people for who they are years ago!!???!??) but I just want to say to everyone associated with the swans at that time... fans, players, coaches, no matter who you are. Hold your heads high because from an outsider who just started supporting recently, I could not be more proud of what I saw from the Swans family. It’s an honour to be one of you and as long as we stand up for each other and for what is right, both in sport and in life, and do what we can for our team and family, we will always stand together!

Swans For Life! #IStandWithGoodes
Welcome JVH, you’re spot on the mark. Where are you from if you don’t mind me asking?

Welcome JVH, you’re spot on the mark. Where are you from if you don’t mind me asking?

I’m an Irishman Mick. Been to a few games this year in the SCG and every Swan fan who hears my accent is an absolute credit to themselves and the club about how they represent Australia and Sydney Swans because they always chat to me about the game, where I came from and if I like it here....they give me loads of time. Mightn’t mean much to those people to come and chat for 2 minutes with me but as an outsider coming in, the welcome your supporters gave me and continue to give me will never be forgotten! And I say this on behalf of every Irish person I know who goes to games...we get attached to the Swans more than any NRL team or any other team in Sudnry because of the family vibes and how welcoming you all are! Couldn’t speak more highly of the club and it’s associates (if you haven’t noticed already!)

I’m an Irishman Mick. Been to a few games this year in the SCG and every Swan fan who hears my accent is an absolute credit to themselves and the club about how they represent Australia and Sydney Swans because they always chat to me about the game, where I came from and if I like it here....they give me loads of time. Mightn’t mean much to those people to come and chat for 2 minutes with me but as an outsider coming in, the welcome your supporters gave me and continue to give me will never be forgotten! And I say this on behalf of every Irish person I know who goes to games...we get attached to the Swans more than any NRL team or any other team in Sudnry because of the family vibes and how welcoming you all are! Couldn’t speak more highly of the club and it’s associates (if you haven’t noticed already!)
Well I’m glad my (pseudo) name is Mick...welcome!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not often something on TV these days moves me. Was pretty much brought to tears about how my idol when I was growing up was treated in his final years of footy. I feel so sad about how he was booed in his final game against North Melbourne in that semi final in 2015. People can be so cruel. I hope this documentary helps change people’s attitudes and realised pack mentality behaviour like what we witnessed is completely unacceptable and affects others.
Love my swans family and was watching this documentary was probably one of the most emotional nights I’ve had as a supporter.
That North game....and people ask why we hate the flogs. If I was a man I would have been thrown out for brawling, I was so furious at them.

Dermie the fracking moron. Hastily backpedaling as we speak, but here it is you w***er, in all your ignorance and stupidity.

Sigh. Seems I’ve gotten past my upset and am now reliving the anger.

* them all.

For all those people who were saying Goodes was divisive, this doco showed that he wasn’t the divisive one, his critics were. He just wanted to have a conversation and was hoping it would bring about change. He was the one looking for unity and always spoke in a dignified way.

It was hard to watch, made me angry and sad but this is a doco that needed to be made and seen. Let’s hope this opens people’s eyes. Just really feel bad for Adam – he deserved so much more.

I sincerely hope Barry Hall called out Brereton on that panel when talking about the war cry...did that happen? I ******* hope it did out the back in the alley way!
All Baz said was something along the lines of weird things going on up in Sydney. It was a bit of a dig at us I think. It's a shame he didn't stand up for Goodesy's dance.

I hated it at the time, but after watching I dont think I was even close to really understanding the level of the vindictiveness.

It is something else how people invented their own truths during this disgraceful period. Sam Newman's contributions (and the moronic groupies in the footy show crowd) are just shameful thank goodness that show is no longer. The Fox Footy panel discussion following the war cry, grown white men with no effing idea, but commenting nonetheless really symbolised the whole thing for me...ignorance bred fear which bred racism. This doco is something that should be in every schools curriculum.

Eddie really is what everyone was trying to say he wasnt. Andrew Bolt is proven to be exactly what I have always thought he was.

To see that last game v Norf again got the anger up as it did at the time....

I am not sure what my emotion is following watching it...probably just sad I guess, however immensely proud of Adam and the class and courage he showed in confronting it.

All Baz said was something along the lines of weird things going on up in Sydney. It was a bit of a dig at us I think. It's a shame he didn't stand up for Goodesy's dance.
Was it though? Did you (not you) hear it that way or perceive it that way?

All-time favourite player of mine since I was 8 years old so it was kinda a surreal experience watching someone I revered as an idol take the form of a somewhat divisive and even antagonistic image in the eyes of the media. Thankfully my experiences watching him closely and having met him many times meant the public perception of Goodes never impacted how I saw him as a human and a player. But I know for a fact a lot of others I knew, teenagers at the time, weren’t as informed, and only had the public narrative to go on, and of course got sucked into it.

Documentaries like this are so important because it’s now a chapter in sporting history/Australian history. It needs to be remembered truthfully and accurately, not just taught to the next generation through the mouths of their prejudiced parents who want to rewrite their own part in it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back