Toast Path to finals - We're in the Eight baby!!

Remove this Banner Ad

GoTheSwannies

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
We have a really interesting path to finals in that we play every team that is equal on points with us, or above us on the ladder. We play every team sitting 4th to 14th bar St Kilda.

So if we're good enough, we'll win our way through and have the added bonus that each game we win, also gives our closest competitors a loss.

So just about every match from here on is an 8 point game.

Screenshot_20230625_181850_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20230625_181524_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We are two wins off fifth spot, with a superior percentage to all teams above us with the exception of the Crows and Cats, who are both less than 2% ahead.

I still think we'll come up short but it's now at least possible. The Cats game is an absolute line in the sand game for multiple reasons.

It's funny because the saints game was my line in the sand game, particularly since we were sitting under 100%. But that Eagles demolition gave us a huge 15% boost and put us back in the hunt. There's no overstating how important that win was for us.

But it all starts again against Geelong, and I'm hopeful and optimistic that we can get the job done.

It'll be like playing mario kart after being red shelled half a dozen times in the first two laps but you know you've got most covered

Go Swans

We are on Rainbow Road

We have to beat Geelong imo, massive psychological win, plus close on the ladder.

If we can do that imo we start favourites the next two

then need one of freo/essendon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In his last presser before the Weagles game, Horse was asked if missing Buddy was made a little easier due to playing a nominally weaker opponent:

"If he's fit, he plays. Fitness is the only factor"

Now I'm not sure about others, but that statement worries me when it is clear that he may not always be the best option. Time will tell I guess.

I doubt very much we'll make finals given how many we'll likely have to win in the run home, how tough our run is, and how log-jammed the middle of the table is right now. Of course I'd love us to and will be hoping we do but I think it's very unlikely. I'm more interested in seeing how we fare against these top teams in the run home to set us up for next year where I expect us to be back in contention for the top 4 and will be disappointed if we aren't. If we can steam home to finish the year, beat a number of good teams, bring in a couple of ready-to-go best 22 players, and have a big pre-season on the track, I'll be very excited for 2024.

I don’t think we can do it - and had we won one of the Port/GWS games that slipped through our fingers, I feel like it’d still be unlikely. We needed to win at least one of those games against Freo + Saints earlier.

Very tough draw this year. No room for error.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back