List Mgmt. 2019 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any player not having a contract for 2020 will now be getting a bit nervous.

Years Service Status
Bailey Rice 4 Non-Free Agent
Billy Longer 6 Non-Free Agent
Brandon White 4 Non-Free Agent
Darragh Joyce 3 Non-Free Agent
David Armitage 13 Unrestricted Free Agent
Doulton Langlands 2 Non-Free Agent
Jack Mayo 1 Non-Free Agent
Jack Newnes 8 Restricted Free Agent
Jake Carlisle 4 Non-Free Agent
Jarryn Geary 13 Unrestricted Free Agent
Jonathon Marsh 1 Non-Free Agent
Lewis Pierce 7 Non-Free Agent
Logan Austin 2 Non-Free Agent
Luke Dunstan 6 Non-Free Agent
Nathan Brown 3 Non-Free Agent
Sam Rowe 1 Non-Free Agent
The only ones who would be getting nervous are those who have no trade value or won't or don't expect to be offered a new contract.

Worried

Don't expect a new contract

New contract/trade

New contract

I don't understand the dislike for Dunstan here. He has been really good for us this year in the absence of Stuv, and we should definitely resign him - the more depth we have in the midfield the better!

In line with that, what are peoples thoughts on Sier? Another big bodied midfielder from a winning club culture?
Unless he's been specifically asked to play a "run with" role and not worry about getting possessions himself - NO!!!

Any player not having a contract for 2020 will now be getting a bit nervous.

Years Service Status
I personally would be retaining Geary, Marsh, Langlands, Rice, Austin and newnes regardless with the draft hand currently we have.

Also Dunstan, White, Carlisle unless a attractive trade is offered.

Brown, if we can’t secure a lockdown defender.

Mayo I haven’t seen much of. The game I watched he was way off but playing as a 1 man band up forward wouldn’t of helped.

Pierce, Longer, Armo, Joyce, Rowe all gone.

Next in line if we need list spots for trade/draft would be rice and mayo. I suspect we keep mayo as it was a waste of a mid season draft pick otherwise.

In a team with Bruce and Membrey King gets a chance to develop.

If it just Membrey and him as the marking targets, he will be under a lot more pressure and will cop a ot more body hits from defenders..
Next year is going to be interesting because if Carlisle can maintain form and stay injury free his best position is CHB as as a intercept marker and if he fills this role , Battle could be used forward if they decide to move him forward.

Having Webster , Wilkie and Carlisle across half back with Geary , Coffield , Hunter Clark , Paton , McKenzie , Savage to fill the small defender positions , the only really position to fill is the Fullback position and having Brown , Austin , Marsh , Joyce , Clavarino do any of these guys fill this position.

Brown is by far the best option out of these lot , but is it time to bite the bullet and attempt to get a more attacking defender in this position.
Austin is still a unknown commodity , mainly due to injury.

Joyce still has a long way to go.
Marsh could be the next best option to play Fullback.
Clavarino just turned 20 and still needs a bit more time by the looks.
Knowing Tomlinson could be in our squad next year , he could be used in this position.

Anyway we have King who will be playing forward and we he does play , Membery and Bruce will be all that is needed so Battle could be used whenever required forward.

Anyway our backline is the least of our worries , the midfield is our weak link and we need to get a play maker - we don't need another hard working toiler like Dunstan , Steele or Ross.
The options in the trade period who are uncontracted are Zac Jones , Langdon but are they really the play makers we need , I don't think so.

Jack Martin is a more creative player but he really is not that elite midfielder either.

Brad Hill is a very good player but once again the guy is a winger and though would be handy he is not the fix we need in the middle.

This brings us back to Coniglio who would be the best to fill the position , I would even say Whitfield if Coniglio is not available and after to attempting to lure him before he could very well be the one.

However we don't know what is going on behind closed doors and someone might come out of the blue like Angus Brayshaw.

If we attracted a play maker we could afford to offload a Acres or Dunstan , but if we don't and bring in a Zac Jones or the likes I don't feel it's a massive upgrade.

Our squad selectors are going to have a very good look at the remaining games and see what they have.

I don't understand the dislike for Dunstan here. He has been really good for us this year in the absence of Stuv, and we should definitely resign him - the more depth we have in the midfield the better!

In line with that, what are peoples thoughts on Sier? Another big bodied midfielder from a winning club culture?
No to Sier. A complete ball butcher.

This brings us back to Coniglio who would be the best to fill the position , I would even say Whitfield if Coniglio is not available and after to attempting to lure him before he could very well be the one.

There is who we want and need, and then there is who we can actually get.

Neither of these two players will be joining us in 2020.

As we only have pick 4 then a gap to 55ish we need to get picks in between them. The only way to do that is to trade out a few. I think theses players have stalled at our club and might still have some value. I don’t necessarily want to lose all theses players thou.
Newnes (30-40)
Sinclair ( 25-40)
Acres (25-40)
White (65 +)

Not sure if it's dislike.

The boy is having a good season.

Question remains if he can improve further and if his best is good enough.

At best he might well be a fourth or fifth mid or depth depending on where our list goes.

Tom Cutler and Lewy Taylor should both be targets for us I think.

Both uncontracted, young and would come cheap enough in a trade. Both suit needs.

Are the a bit average though?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are the a bit average though?
I think both have proven to be pretty handy AFL players.

Someone like Jarrod Lyons was looked at as average but Brisbane had a role for him and look at him go.

I think both of those guys would fit a need in our side.

You'd have to think Cutler would be getting games in front of Newnes and Acres right now.

I think both have proven to be pretty handy AFL players.

Someone like Jarrod Lyons was looked at as average but Brisbane had a role for him and look at him go.

I think both of those guys would fit a need in our side.

You'd have to think Cutler would be getting games in front of Newnes and Acres right now.

Lyons was always a bit accumulator though. GC getting rid of him after he was one of their best last year was a huge mystery. He was more like Koby Stephens where he was getting high 30s possessions some weeks and low 20 s others. Cutler is like hi with out the high possession games.He's too much like what we have.

Tom Cutler and Lewy Taylor should both be targets for us I think.

Both uncontracted, young and would come cheap enough in a trade. Both suit needs.
Yuck

Lewy Taylor is like a small defender who can't defend or a rover who won't do the inside stuff. Hed be a downgrade on shane savage and geary. He's like a massively flawed seb ross.

Lyons was always a bit accumulator though. GC getting rid of him after he was one of their best last year was a huge mystery. He was more like Koby Stephens where he was getting high 30s possessions some weeks and low 20 s others. Cutler is like hi with out the high possession games.He's too much like what we have.
There really isn't a lot of difference between the possession counts of Lyons and Cutler actually.

Lyons wins more footy on the inside but Cutler takes more marks around the ground and kicks more goals.

I'm really not sure how Cutler is too much of what we have? A tall outside mid with good pace and good skills?

Of course it started with them. Netters was just as bad. They thought pelchen knew it all. His theories may have worked if they were the real pick numbers we had but they were about 15 later because of concessions. Just a bad time to lose good players who were leaders. Moronic. The whole club.
didn't help that the senior coach of the time planted the seed as well...

"COACH Ross Lyon labelled it as "the end of an era" for St Kilda after three Grand Final contributors announced their retirements.
Michael Gardiner, Steven Baker and Andrew McQualter told teammates in the rooms after the Saints' 25 point-loss to Sydney at Etihad Stadium.

Lyon was blunt, even blaming himself and his assistant coaches for contributing to the loss that ends a disappointing season for a club that has played in the past three Grand Finals."

as it turned out he couldn't be arsed with the new era...

Taranto again 31 disp and 14 tackles, and he is only 21. My god it’s freaky how good he might become. I don’t understand why we aren’t throwing the kitchen sink yet. Maybe next year if we have a good season and coincidentally his contract is up next year, (2020) but I’m just dreaming.

We should go after the Jarryd Lyons type like gringo mentioned that will improve our side plus the natural development of our young players and a new coach to the point where we look good enough and on the rise to attract those players.

I still can’t believe our horrible luck, the only time we got pick 1 was in a s**t draft with no gun mids. You could argue Angus Brayshaw but I don’t rate him that highly (I still rate him though) surrounding that draft when we had pick 1 were the ‘13 and ‘15 drafts, where ‘13 had Kelly and Cripps (Cripps was jackpot at pick 13) and ‘15 had Clayton Oliver. Actually not funny the bad luck we have had (Hawkins miss, Milne bounce, paddy, robbo, 04 prelim) to name a few and now GC will get pick 1 and 2 and they will have Anderson and Rowell if we don’t do anything about it. (Trade).

There really isn't a lot of difference between the possession counts of Lyons and Cutler actually.

Lyons wins more footy on the inside but Cutler takes more marks around the ground and kicks more goals.

I'm really not sure how Cutler is too much of what we have? A tall outside mid with good pace and good skills?

Lyons has had a 39 and many games over 30. Cutler's only gone over 30 once - more than 3 years ago. Lyons more clearances, more contested, more goals - ahead on every measure except marks really.

He's more just a bit of a B grader. Reminds me of all of our players who can't step out of GOP territory.

Taranto again 31 disp and 14 tackles, and he is only 21. My god it’s freaky how good he might become. I don’t understand why we aren’t throwing the kitchen sink yet. Maybe next year if we have a good season and coincidentally his contract is up next year, (2020) but I’m just dreaming.

We should go after the Jarryd Lyons type like gringo mentioned that will improve our side plus the natural development of our young players and a new coach to the point where we look good enough and on the rise to attract those players.

I still can’t believe our horrible luck, the only time we got pick 1 was in a s**t draft with no gun mids. You could argue Angus Brayshaw but I don’t rate him that highly (I still rate him though) surrounding that draft when we had pick 1 were the ‘13 and ‘15 drafts, where ‘13 had Kelly and Cripps (Cripps was jackpot at pick 13) and ‘15 had Clayton Oliver. Actually not funny the bad luck we have had (Hawkins miss, Milne bounce, paddy, robbo, 04 prelim) to name a few and now GC will get pick 1 and 2 and they will have Anderson and Rowell if we don’t do anything about it. (Trade).

Because GWS let guys like Shiel and Devon Smith go so they can hold on to him and Hopper. He'd be very unlikely to leave to come to a s**t club. He's going to be an obscenely good player.

I can't think of a player on our list that would be worth pick 1 or 2 in a trade. Unless they do a Weller like trade again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back