Autopsy Rd 23 An Inglorious End to 2019 - Bring On The Silly Season

Who played well for the Blues in Round 23 at the Cattery?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s always an interesting one talking about when a rebuild starts because teams are always rebuilding. From this weekends sides I think we have brought in 15 new players over the last four years. Brisbane have brought in 15 and even Geelong 14.

Differences between rebuilding a side and constant list management. Number of changes has nothing to do with the number of players you turnover, it is the type of player you release or acquire

The only one firing blanks is yourself - one eyed blanks that diminish your credibility and allow posters from other teams to point to "crazy Carlton posters".

If we inject some facts:

1. they had the go home 5 in 2013. You can't say the rebuild started then
2. in 2014 their first pick was pick 44 but they got Beams and Christensen. So one could argue they started then
3. In 2015 they went all into the draft like we did

A lot would argue they started in 2015, same year as us but have been able to trade in better players (Neale). I disagree with that - I think they had better older players to start with (Rich, Taylor etc).

The point is though to argue our rebuild is ahead of theirs lacks all credibility.

Now that doesn't mean sack SOS etc - not at all. I am not convinced Brisbane will win a flag with that list (I am tipping a straight sets exit). I think we will win one before them BUT at this point in time no logical person could say our rebuild is ahead of theirs.

I am not one eyed or a pessimist, never too high or too low. And I don't overreact after a result like yesterday, like so many others, who assess our position with week to week results

The position of picks Lions had, has nothing to do with how they navigated their rebuild, they just chose a different path, but it did start at the end of 2013

Oh no, don't do an autopsy on an autopsy thread.🤣

Look I'm not saying he's cooked, after all it was just one game and he wasnt the only player who was poor, but it was concerning to see him brushed aside again and again, and sometimes he actually seemed to avoid physical contact. That's not the Simmo I remember.
I was at the game. All that brushing aside must have happened up the other end. I was surprised at his numbers for the game as it appeared to me that he’d had the ball on more occasions. Our best quarter for the match was the third and it seemed that Simmo was in the thick of it while we were having our best patch but maybe I was dreaming it. As for avoiding physical contact? Nup. It didn’t happen.

That just sounds like you are moving the goal posts.

Have never moved the goal posts once, have never suggested the number of changes to a list are linked to whether a side is rebuilding or topping up for another crack at a flag or just identifying pure talent. Over the last 6 years, clubs average just shy of 9 changes (grand finalists from last year Pies 8, WC 9)

We released players of value, Yarran, Gibbs, Henderson, 2E, so we could build a group to come through together, players that most contending clubs either target or retain if they are in a finals/flag window.

Poor performance but anyone getting upset about it has developed a ridiculous set of expectations over the last three months.

AFL seasons are incredibly long, taxing beasts. There was nothing to play for today (blah blah blah "pride"). Let's be realistic, the players have "lifted" in all the games we needed to win under Teague. They've performed amazingly well in the second half of the season and I think they can be excused for having a flat one.

The boys will enjoy a rest now and come back with a huge amount of belief for 2020. I seriously cannot wait.
Here here!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK, I'll take a stab at this one....

The inside of meat pies have a lot more water content than sausage rolls. So when both are heated through well at a high temperature you have to contend with "latent heat of vaporisation". In a simple way you could say that the pie has stored more heat potential so it stays hotter for longer (never failing to burn your tongue, roof of mouth, , etc.

Are there any boffins that can ratify or scupper this hypothesis?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

tenor.gif

Oh no, don't do an autopsy on an autopsy thread.🤣

Look I'm not saying he's cooked, after all it was just one game and he wasnt the only player who was poor, but it was concerning to see him brushed aside again and again, and sometimes he actually seemed to avoid physical contact. That's not the Simmo I remember.
Most likely that game being the last of the season that had no relevance about it might have something to do with most of our players performance ..

Well that was disappointing but this loss should be beneficial in a few ways. If the group wanted a gauge of where they are at, that game serves as a great reality check. We still have areas of our list that need improvement and our younger players need to embrace the hard work and furthering of their footy smarts to come. As long as the players don't believe improvement is going to just happen, then we should be Ok. If everything goes well in this offseason we should just scrape into the eight next year but we have to start better than we have. Time to beat the ferals first up next season.

Well another season done and by god they go quickly.

Footy for me is best taken with perspective. It is just a sport, a magnificent one but just a game nonetheless. A game none of us on here have any control over. We all love the club, that is the one binding aspect but if you live your life around the wins and losses of the club for the most part you will be disappointed.

I walk away from this season reasonably happy with the position we are now in. Improved list that looks like it could take another step next season. Found some more players this year and most of those players have improvement in them.

Nothing is guaranteed in this game so you can’t just think we will push for top 8 or above next season just because Brisbane did this season.

It is what it is, a magnificent game, a frustrating game and one that kicks you in the face more than it cuddles you. Probably why we all love it.

I know one thing, next season like all seasons I will front up again knowing all of the above but still hoping for the best. It may happen, give there are 17 other clubs in the same boat it may not.

Take a deep breath, enjoy the off season and finals and see you in 2020.

Go Blues.

Never truer words. Beautiful post.

Re-read my comments and have some comprehension
The only one firing blanks is yourself - one eyed blanks that diminish your credibility and allow posters from other teams to point to "crazy Carlton posters".

If we inject some facts:

1. they had the go home 5 in 2013. You can't say the rebuild started then
2. in 2014 their first pick was pick 44 but they got Beams and Christensen. So one could argue they started then
3. In 2015 they went all into the draft like we did

A lot would argue they started in 2015, same year as us but have been able to trade in better players (Neale). I disagree with that - I think they had better older players to start with (Rich, Taylor etc).

The point is though to argue our rebuild is ahead of theirs lacks all credibility.

Now that doesn't mean sack SOS etc - not at all. I am not convinced Brisbane will win a flag with that list (I am tipping a straight sets exit). I think we will win one before them BUT at this point in time no logical person could say our rebuild is ahead of theirs.

These are your comments. All Arr0w is saying, and he's been harping on this point for about two years, is that Brisbane are a year ahead of us in assembling their list. See also, https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/04/11/the-stats-that-prove-you-cant-compare-brisbane-and-carlton/ . Comprehend the numbers.

Given that
  1. Brisbane are a year ahead of Carlton;
  2. Carlton won more games in the equivalent year; and
  3. Carlton did so without a significant contingent of best 22 players available,
It is more than reasonable, to suggest that Carlton are ahead of Brisbane on this basis.

These are your comments. All Arr0w is saying, and he's been harping on this point for about two years, is that Brisbane are a year ahead of us in assembling their list. See also, https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/04/11/the-stats-that-prove-you-cant-compare-brisbane-and-carlton/ . Comprehend the numbers.

Given that
  3. Carlton did so without a significant contingent of best 22 players available,
It is more than reasonable, to suggest that Carlton are ahead of Brisbane on this basis.

…. something something ... can't argue with stupid … something …..

OK, I'll take a stab at this one....

The inside of meat pies have a lot more water content than sausage rolls. So when both are heated through well at a high temperature you have to contend with "latent heat of vaporisation". In a simple way you could say that the pie has stored more heat potential so it stays hotter for longer (never failing to burn your tongue, roof of mouth, , etc.

Are there any boffins that can ratify or scupper this hypothesis?

thank you!!

Given that
While relevant, It is pointless to argue either case, only our position on the ladder will define us. When your aim is to be better than you were yesterday, as individuals and a team the process begins each morning again.

Have never moved the goal posts once, have never suggested the number of changes to a list are linked to whether a side is rebuilding or topping up for another crack at a flag or just identifying pure talent. Over the last 6 years, clubs average just shy of 9 changes (grand finalists from last year Pies 8, WC 9)

We released players of value, Yarran, Gibbs, Henderson, 2E, so we could build a group to come through together, players that most contending clubs either target or retain if they are in a finals/flag window.
What difference does it make? They have moved on the same amount of best 22 players hence why they have as many new players as we do playing. The whole reason you turn over a list is to bring in best 22 players. Those other teams have done that to the same extent we have.
You are just talking about a bottoming out rebuild vs a rebuild without bottoming out.

Back