Autopsy QF 2019 - Pies d Cats by 10 points

Remove this Banner Ad

And I never said that the club didn't raise the issue, Cook having done so back in May when he also spoke to the media about why the club deserves a home final at home.

But over recent weeks it's been the media who have been giving the issue airtime - they are the ones asking Scott, last week they raise the issue with Ablett & Danger and if you go on social media they have been running polls on it.

It's frustrating that it continues to be a question at every Geelong based press conference - surely they could find a better question to ask or is it just lazy & easy journalism.

Also not sure anyone's said it had an impact on last night's result

I think it’s froth and bubble worrying about what the media do or don’t do with something you start. Isn’t the point of going to media to stir up the conversation. Then you get asked questions and it perpetuates it all. It’s not surprising.

Geelong lost control of the narrative which IS surprising. So much hate out there for Cats’ smart decisions to keep our home ground in spite of the AFL and to convince the gov to give us all that money to redevelop it. And it’ll be the gov who will tap on the shoulder of the next CEO to give us a final.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You suggesting they always had this late change mindgame planned?
I think so. Even that comment about getting the weather wrong pre-game seemed jokey and unnatural.

I think they planned this, thinking that they could make Grundy work harder.

Otherwise they’d just reverse the swap and pay the fine

Grundy made it look like Collingwood had 10 mids. Not playing a ruckman was a disaster. Who cares about "one down in the midfield" - compared to that?!

We finished on top of the ladder. That gives supporters a right to expect more from the team come finals, than you argue. And if it was 5-5 in the last part, you only have to look at the way Scott had us play. The playing style he coached had no flair after the break. And if you can somehow sheet that home to the players....then sack the coach! Becasue he cannot coach if the team loses consistently by not adhering to his instructions. Either way, get it?

Our 11-1 gave us the luxury of playing after the bye a bit cautiously. We came into the this game with a great uninjured list. But for most of the game, the way we played when we were up to 5 goals down was like you'd play in the last 5 minutes if we were 5 goals up! This is a playing style, Vdubs, that the coach has drilled into this team. It's not the players doing. It's the coach.

On the manner of which they attempted to use Blicavs & Savrat was auskick level. Blicavs would float back into defence and choose win to pickup grundy and savrat would do the same from a forward perspective then a midfielder could follow him around for small periods when the ball hits the deck.

If you actually wanted to use blicavs strength you would say listen we are going small blicavs run run run see what grundy has. Give sav those 10 minute bursts go at the player in a athletic contestest knowing you will lose the hitouts but attempt to ruin his tank. Blicavs could minimize his ground work as well.

Blicavs is either full time ruck listen he is a freak very versatile but I can't think of many other guys in the pros where the logistics of the no.1 ruckman are ruck and full back.

I think it's simply too difficult

Thought Henry was ok
A poor decision in the first quarter gave Stephenson an early goal but improved after that.

In terms of that early goal it was Kolo going in for the high ball, Taylor coming in over the top and for good measure Henry came of Stephenson to stand at the back of his teammates which left Stephenson open. Ball gets over the back & Stephenson ran into an open goal

I will give Henry credit in that he learnt from that error and improved

Kolo & Taylor continued to frustrate though

Yes precisely
Im actually more angry this morning than last night. Im not convinced Collingwood is any better than Geelong

The difference was they played to win and backed themselves in to score. We dont under Scott and deserve everything we get.

Exactly. We don’t go for it red hot.

They didn't get the weather wrong. My free phone app shows me the weather and showed there was bugger all rain coming over during the game.
It's a total lie.
Exactly this.
Can't tell me not one person at the club checked the radar before making the call on Stanley...total BS.
Scott trying to be clever and it backfired and most likely cost us a final and probably a chance at the flag.

We feared the worst for the match, and the portents were all bad.

The Stanley decision showed panic by the MC. They obviously have no idea who they want in the team, which would not fill the team they've selected with any confidence.

Bews injured before the first bounce. Could it get any worse? Yes.

Keystone Kops stuff for most of the first half. Players running into each other and missing both the ball and Pies players; unmissable goals missed; panicked, half-hearted efforts; fumbles; dropped marks; kicks and handballs to fresh air. All too familiar.

Perhaps our coaches were on the Pies payroll. I can't come up with any other explanation on why we would play slowly up one side of the ground for nearly the whole game. Completely played into their hands.

If we'd kicked straight we still might have won it. Sadly, though, that would have just papered over the cracks.

It is not the coaches fault
On three occasions our players lost two on one contests because we spoilt each other
That is not the cosch
Rohan, Dahl, and Hawkins misses are not the coach
Danger injuring his team mate not the coach
Mock fumbles not the coach
Save lacking penetration in kicking not the coach
Ablett fumbles not the coach

Game plan needs adjusting, but we need to execute it under pressure, we didn’t and that’s the result
When you have two tall forwards who fail to score then it’s hard work

Same s**t different year
In this particular game, yes the players should have done the job better, but you could copy this post from the post game thread of every one of our finals capitulations over the last 7 years.
7 years of similar results regardless of the players involved is 100% on the coach who can't rectify the issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if the Players confront the Coach and the Match Ctee to challenge their decision making and choice of players. Do they ever tell them that they are no good. Or is it like the army you woudl get shot for insubordination

Me too. I’m wondering if there’s a player revolt.

Off the held up train freaking exhausted. Everything game wise has been said here, and more.
Not microwaving because stupid is as stupid does, and refuse to believe our players could ever be so dumb and unskilled again- until the next chance is over.
However I swear will never attend another vs Collingwood game as long as I live. Pies were too good, but.....Their supporters uphold the bottom of the gene pool, football ignoramuses and football fanatics (not football supporters) who constantly scream for frees, and against anything we get. Savage, their noise for us at kicking a point was twice as loud as ours for a goal. Couldn't follow a thing, barflies constantly up and down for beer, rows standing to let them pass every minute, then back again. Total inconsiderate bogan rabid dogs. Total waste of $100 x 2.

Out of Curiosity where did you sit?

I’m an AFL Member on Club support and I’ve found that to be my experience with most of other club’s supporters at games. Essendon in particular I’ve found to be the worst in my 30 something years of going.

I don’t want to hear a word from him or anyone else on team. If you can do better, do.

The talk this week was terrible. Embarrassing.

The talk made me cringe!

That article in the Addy with Scott saying the Cats are "Good now, even better in 2020" I blew a gasket!

Then the article: "How Scott kept Cats on track" by gathering his coaching team + preparing for every single scenario, good + bad. Yeah, that worked out so well.

The first thing I thought when I heard Stanley might not play is that Collingwood would be rolling on the floor laughing their a*$3s off!

On the manner of which they attempted to use Blicavs & Savrat was auskick level. Blicavs would float back into defence and choose win to pickup grundy and savrat would do the same from a forward perspective then a midfielder could follow him around for small periods when the ball hits the deck.

If you actually wanted to use blicavs strength you would say listen we are going small blicavs run run run see what grundy has. Give sav those 10 minute bursts go at the player in a athletic contestest knowing you will lose the hitouts but attempt to ruin his tank. Blicavs could minimize his ground work as well.

Blicavs is either full time ruck listen he is a freak very versatile but I can't think of many other guys in the pros where the logistics of the no.1 ruckman are ruck and full back.

I think it's simply too difficult
It reminded me of the Hawthorn game last year - Blicavs started the game in the middle of the ground, sometimes on Mitchell and other times in the ruck. Once the ruck contest was over he would then work hard to get back into defence to take Roughead - and we all remember what happened to young Zac Guthrie late in the match

Wish we wouldn't get too smart with Blicavs and just leave him in one role - unless we need to switch things up during the match such as the Adelaide game

Reckon Joel doesn’t have any more than one year left. He struggled again last night. The mind might want to still compete but the body has had enough.

I can see that with Gazza as well, unfortunately. Regardless of what happens with the rest of the finals. The little man is done i reckon
The bigger picture is the decision to pull Stanley from the side, i hope it hasn't sucked the air out of all the positive momentum from the original side that was picked on Thursday night.
It was close to our best side picked for the yr. Collectively the backline stood up, individually Kolo had a couple of costly moments. I think minimal changes other than Stanley in and maybe a shuffle of the backs with the wce's tall fwds plus Rioli and Ryan. Reset and fingers crossed

Last edited:
It is not the coaches fault
On three occasions our players lost two on one contests because we spoilt each other
That is not the cosch
Rohan, Dahl, and Hawkins misses are not the coach
Danger injuring his team mate not the coach
Mock fumbles not the coach
Save lacking penetration in kicking not the coach
Ablett fumbles not the coach

Game plan needs adjusting, but we need to execute it under pressure, we didn’t and that’s the result
When you have two tall forwards who fail to score then it’s hard work

But the game style makes us unconfident and it becomes infectious.

Cannot see us beating WC. Not with this coach and this game plan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back