Review Geelong defeats WC by 20 points. GO you Good things!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

he was massive early; the best football I have ever seen him play - Chris Scott said he was Peter Knights-like in the presser .. wasn't as impactful in the 2nd half, but he was supreme aerially and seemed really switched on with ball in hand, too.
Peter Knights ..that stretching the gum there he took marks like Sav as a backman... Kolo is becoming a good solid reliable defender..and that enough.

Guthrie!! I feel bad. 2nd final he's really stood up in.
Tommy should be fine. It didn't look bad at all, guy didn't get concussed or anything like that & Greene got off!
And Cothchin! & he did concuss someone.
Umpires: yeah they want WC to get back into the game for TV ratings and all that.
But what if they won? It's f**ked up.
CS. Selected the team sensibly and we looked like the better team which we were.

Probably the result most who have followed Geelong even moderately closely would have expected tonight. In line with Geelong's year (especially second half), and past finals record.

Selwood became relevant again, the side decided to play like it really meant something to them. Dangerfield got a breather and lots of attention. Guthrie was only bettered by Selwood, his only genuine 4 quarter game for over 3 years in my opinion, was very good. Had lots of space but found the ball and used it well.

Cats fans need to contain their excitement though, the test is next week, it wasn't this week. Geelong failed against Collingwood, they were rubbish. They were collectively nervous, near on disinterested at times. Played negative for so much of the game. Played scared in the first quarter.

Hawkins - gone. Again, the brute decides to show physicality in the one way you don't. Cheaply, behind the play.

We've seen it before, WLWLWL since when? The bye. It took media bashing to get them inspired it seems, the thought of a straight sets exit even. Even if they fail against Richmond, it seems everyone is back on board anyway... Round and round we go.
Ofcourse this was a test. Next week’s is a bigger one but they have shown tonight that they can rise to the challenge. And I am excited. It was a great game to be at and I was proud of the team and am backing them to put up a good fight against the tiges. Looked like we just about have our mojo back.

I'd like Smith into the ruck, Stanley KF. Finals weather, we could really stretch them. Smith was emergency this week.

I think we saw a little bit of what I have been debating with you last night... we look a far better side, certain players look far better players ..with a more attacking game plan... we end up with near 90 points ..and even if Wc got a few lucky frees and we made a couple of errors... we have score comfort factor up or sleeve.
When we went long and skinny tonight we took a few more marks which also make that tactic far more sustainable..

The ones who get to the right positions and make the right jumps but just barely let the ball spill from their grip - they always come good eventually. It's a matter of when, not if, with Sav.

When both he and Hawk are working well together, we have genuine potency.
Yes. He is not far away from landing those marks regularly. Was impressive tonight. Reckon his size and willingness to crash a pack would make defenders nervous

Other thing about Esava is that he is lovely smooth set shot kicker

Well done cats. Good, fighting win. Great to watch the return to attacking footy.
I think i detected a cheer at the ground when in the first 30 seconds Menengola (?) off half back went inboard with a pass to Touhy ( i think) in the middle.
Seemed to be a totally different plan last night.

my thanks CE; I probably don't deserve your praise after I failed to hold the line last week, you were far more composed than I was - the Cats hit back really strongly tonight though and put the season in a whole new perspective.
Great contributions from young, old and in-between in holding out a really no-bullsh*t Eagles outfit. Got contributions everywhere, and we needed them.

Gotta say, I think Esava has been one of the biggest pluses from this year; he is one I have backed to the hilt and he was brilliant tonight after being ok last week ..
That responce from the board..the posts in the Krock thread..the Krock team... it was not an over reaction at all.. the game against the Pies was so much of result that fell into the hands of those who think they know the us and the story..finals game failures , off the bye etc etc. .. and even this game the bounce back game after the game after the bye , playing West Coast after thie issue a day or two before the game.. it will all be determined eventually that nothing has changed yet.

If we want to change the story..if Chris Scott and the club want to change the story..then its the PF that must be won.. we have to produce in a PF

Joel referenced Mitch Marsh ..willing to fail , will to have success .. and they played with dare and risk tonight..there was less worry about what happens if I mess up and more focus on just trust my talent.

Danger has three PF final losses to his name.. he has now played 5 to 6 super games into each ..into finals..no one could say he doesnt play finals well. He is probably in abletts 89 zone ..he is probably at his best or the best he is going to be right now..

Fall short tonight was to watch the club just implode and the win stops that ..it was against the vibe of most and yet plenty will say in the wash up ..in the season review .. so what if that it and Rich just roll us next week. Tonight was a monumental win against the media vibe win , tonight prevented the meldown.. its was like the relief valve but to the winners go the spoils ..and its next week that will define us.

So no ..I dont feel there was over reaction at all... that form has taken us to the edge , now its to be seen if now that we are off the cliff can we still play with that form against a team that owns the G.

Last edited:
In hindsight, you could say that I totally lost my s**t after the Pies game.

Simply a fantastic performance today, with massive, massive improvement from guys I was packing off to the knackery last week including Atkins, Bews, Kolo, Ablett, Selwood & Hawkins. Amazing.

Everyone played their part. We flew out of the gates, then dug in when it got tight. Such a great win.

If the Matchday review fairy gives us a rare reprieve this week, then I reckon we can cause Richmond problems.

Agree Taylor CHF before Stanley if it comes to that.

and that leaves me cold as well to be honest. This now is the circumstance that a few of us discussed. They refused to give Buzza games when they could.. so on their choices be it. I can only think that it will either be Fort or or a mid and play Danger forward. The marking of Sav wrks well with Hawk to draw defenders.. a lot harder to be the #1 .. and he is still young and flakey. How id love to bring in Freddie and for him to becoem ..but its not our style or cs's imo... Buzza has the size but under lights I feel he is not at his best..and it would be a huge risk. CS goes to mature guys.. and I feel he will go to SS as a stopper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One poor dropped mark (and one tougher one where Taylor's chip was poor) aside, he was great. Solid intercept marks, plenty of late spoils and generally seemed to position himself better. Got done by two goals out the back but he repelled plenty with attacking positioning too. Importantly he moved the ball quickly and often with the 45 degree chip inside. No real mistakes with ball in hand and actually set up some nice possession chains.

I got stuck into him last week so it's only fair that I put my hand up and commend his response this week.
I did too. I was calling for Kolo to be replaced by Henderson. He was very good, he may have to take on Jack next week.

Fort would be an absolute disaster. Smith to ruck and Stanley to forward or danger plays full forward. Only viable options.
I think Taylor would do as good as if not better than Stanley in the forward line. It seems likely that Rohan will be fit, in the case of Hawkins out then Rohan in would be the most logical solution. Blicavs will almost certainly take Lynch anyway leaving Kolo on Riewoldt.

Honestly, that was his worst game in a long time. Shirked the responsibility twice when kicking for goal, and had no impact on the game. Should have had a rest during the season, as he looked a class below tonight
You cannot be serious! Ablett's worst game was last week against Collingwood!!! his worst game for the year! Last night he was very good. He was not 100% and his miss for goal early was un-Ablett like, however later when he had a chance at another shot, he did not shirk the responsibility! he very wisely knew that for whatever reason he was not up to it, he did the team thing and passed it. He was much better than last week but still not at his best.

Smith is barely GFL worthy and Stanley is a failed forward. Danger is needed in midfield.
You either play Rohan at FF (likely) or Taylor (which has worked against Richmond before) with Henderson in defence (who is at least AFL standard unlike Smith).
If Hawkins out, Rohan in. Taylor to FF. Blitz on Lynch, Kolo on Riewoldt. Keep it simple.

Yes. He is not far away from landing those marks regularly. Was impressive tonight. Reckon his size and willingness to crash a pack would make defenders nervous

Other thing about Esava is that he is lovely smooth set shot kicker
That last line shows just how much kids develop (and we should be wary about judging kids too soon) . His kicking in the VFL first couple of outings was exceptional. For all the wrong reasons.

4851 days since the Eagles have beaten the Cats in Victoria, for what it's worth.

Round 10, 2006 was the last time.
I think that was the day that we dominated until half way through the third quarter. Ben Cousins was hardly seen in the first half. He must have been given a strong pick-me-up 'speech by the coach' at half time. He was unstoppable in the second half.

That responce from the board..the posts in the Krock thread..the Krock team... it was not an over reaction at all.. the game against the Pies was so much of result that fell into the hands of those who think they know the us and the story..finals game failures , off the bye etc etc. .. and even this game the bounce back game after the game after the bye , playing West Coast after thie issue a day or two before the game.. it will all be determined eventually that nothing has changed yet.

If we want to change the story..if Chris Scott and the club want to change the story..then its the PF that must be won.. we have to produce in a PF

Joel referenced Mitch Marsh ..willing to fail , will to have success .. and they played with dare and risk tonight..there was less worry about what happens if I mess up and more focus on just trust my talent.

Danger has three PF final losses to his name.. he has now played 5 to 6 super games into each ..into finals..no one could say he doesnt play finals well. He is probably in abletts 89 zone ..he is probably at his best or the best he is going to be right now..

Fall short tonight was to watch the club just implode and the win stops that ..it was against the vibe of most and yet plenty will say in the wash up ..in the season review .. so what if that it and Rich just roll us next week. Tonight was a monumental win against the media vibe win , tonight prevented the meldown.. its was like the relief valve but to the winners go the spoils ..and its next week that will define us.

So no ..I dont feel there was over reaction at all... that form has taken us to the edge , now its to be seen if now that we are off the cliff can we still play with that form against a team that owns the G.
While now is the time to celebrate the win, your post is depressingly correct.

The preliminary final becomes possibly the biggest game for Scott since the 2011 GF.

My fear is that the club was (appropriately by the way) pumped for last night. Hope its sub consciously not a case of thinking they climbed the mountain with that win.

We looked in real trouble with the Eagles reeling in the 5 goal deficit quickly and hitting the front in the third. Lucky for us Dangerfield (and Joel) stood up again and steeled the troops for a great win.

It seemed the Eagles were off for most of the night and the Rioli saga had taken its toll.

We probably still have too many passengers and a general lack of composure (particularly down back) to trouble the slick Richmond team but we shall see.

Great to see Guthrie stand up in the absence of Duncan and give us some great run and carry. One of his best games for the Cats.

Hopefully Hawkins escapes a suspension although it seems unlikely given his treatment by the mrp for much milder transgressions. Perhaps the Toby Greene inexplicable verdict last week means that finals incidents are again a different beast in terms of sanctions.

Getting Duncan back would be a boon and it seems this is touch and go. Fingers crossed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back