Preview 2019 Prelim Final - Tigers v Cats @ Punt Rd Oval, Fri 7:50pm

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Henderson has been really good when he has played this year and i expect him to do that. I just dont want him Taylor and Blicavs in the same backline as it makes us too slow...so long as one of them plays forward or Blicavs plays in the ruck i'm fine with it.

The Richmond forward line with their raft of smalls in Rioli, Edwards, Castagna, Bolton and Dusty (medium) are a concern. They are all dangerous and we could seriously get done over in leg speed if there are some poor matchups.

Bews, Tuohy, O'Connor, Stewart, Kolo and possibly Henry will need to contain this lot.

One of HarryT and Blicavs gets Lynch and perhaps Henderson gets Riewoldt.

The question remains who in the aforementioned don't play in defence?

Most of this puzzle revolves around the role of Blicavs. Will he play ruck, will he tag Dusty, will he play on the wing (hope not) or will he play full back. It's very hard to predict and maybe a bit fluid with some contingencies based on where Dusty lines up on game day.

Henderson has been really good when he has played this year and i expect him to do that. I just dont want him Taylor and Blicavs in the same backline as it makes us too slow...so long as one of them plays forward or Blicavs plays in the ruck i'm fine with it.
Blicavs will be playing ruck as we will need sav as the deepest forward for the majority of the night. I don't want to see sav rucking at the centre bounces-only stoppages deep inside fwd 50.

The Richmond forward line with their raft of smalls in Rioli, Edwards, Castagna, Bolton and Dusty (medium) are a concern. They are all dangerous and we could seriously get done over in leg speed if there are some poor matchups.

Bews, Tuohy, O'Connor, Stewart, Kolo and possibly Henry will need to contain this lot.

Most of this puzzle revolves around the role of Blicavs. Will he play ruck, will he tag Dusty, will he play on the wing (hope not) or will he play full back. It's very hard to predict and maybe a bit fluid with some contingencies based on where Dusty lines up on game day.

1000% Spot On

Thats why i would have preferred ( assuming that Rohan is still injured and unavailable ) a smaller running player to come in - rather than a 6ft 4 inc plodder

Henderson did play well in that Swans final win against Franklin - but it wasnt just him against Franklin - it was Taylor and him against Franklin - they double teamed him all night in a slow motion game - cant see that working against Richmond

Tend to agree - Hawkins for Henderson - talk about gold rolled chocolates to boiled lollies

Richmond are fleet of foot - outside of the ruckman - Henderson would be the slowest player on Geelongs list

I was getting my hopes up - but i was assuming Gary Rohan was coming in

All bets are off now Henderson is coming in

Look outsideof our injured players Hendo isclearly the best player outside our current 22 by some margin and in form-only structure got him dropped 2 weeks ago not form. Id rather pick players who can handle the heat than D graders like Parsons.
Yes its a structure change but the experienced players should be able to handle that-if we had another CHF who wasnt a kid or a spud we'd pick him but we dont.
If its wet it lessens the need for speed anyway its more about halving contests which Hendo is good at. Hes also one of the best kicks in ourback halfwhich helps us get it away from their forward press.

Blicavs will be playing ruck as we will need sav as the deepest forward for the majority of the night. I don't want to see sav rucking at the centre bounces-only stoppages deep inside fwd 50.

Are you dropping Stanley then? Because if hes not rucking he shouldnt be playing.

Look outsideof our injured players Hendo isclearly the best player outside our current 22 by some margin and in form-only structure got him dropped 2 weeks ago not form. Id rather pick players who can handle the heat than D graders like Parsons.
Yes its a structure change but the experienced players should be able to handle that-if we had another CHF who wasnt a kid or a spud we'd pick him but we dont.
If its wet it lessens the need for speed anyway its more about halving contests which Hendo is good at. Hes also one of the best kicks in ourback halfwhich helps us get it away from their forward press.

You know what Scott (and im not bagging him ) is like - these midweek press conferences re whos likely to come in - you cant believe him

What may happen - is Henderson is named in the selected side - and Rohan is named as an emergency - and if GR proves his fitness - he comes in - and Hendo missses out - i hope that happens

Taylor forward against Richmond (in a defined accountable/contest-creating role - he is 1/2 for succeeding in this role against Richmond) will be nowhere near as damaging as Blicavs in the ruck against Grundy or on the wing against Gaff. Blicavs as support ruck against this particular pairing, or back to take on the likes of Lynch, are two better options than what we have seen so far this finals series. It's highly likely that they won't stick with one structure anyway. Taylor's time will probably be divided between forward and back, Danger will rotate forward, Blitz could end up in a few different positions etc. I think all of the above can help to not exactly replace what Hawk brings, but together fill roles that can help us find a different way to win. Taylor will protect Sav better than any other option we have and create spills as he did for the match winner last Friday.

You know what Scott (and im not bagging him ) is like - these midweek press conferences re whos likely to come in - you cant believe him

What may happen - is Henderson is named in the selected side - and Rohan is named as an emergency - and if GR proves his fitness - he comes in - and Hendo missses out - i hope that happens
If he's really fully fit I hope for that too as it would be the best inclusion, but I would be holding my breath every time Rohan took off running this soon after his injury.

Wonder if Richmond will bomb balls along the ground to give their smalls an advantage vs our taller backline.. Our zone will have to be on point and pressure high up the ground to avoid letting them use their leg speed. Collingwood chopped us up with their ability to break into space and control the ball. Need to be on top of it.

Are you dropping Stanley then? Because if hes not rucking he shouldnt be playing.
I'm hoping the thinking/suggestion is more Blicavs as 2nd ruck in place of Ratugolea

So play Ratugolea in Hawkins role, someone else up forward in place of Ratugolea and Blicavs plays his main role but then relieves Stanley when needed

Ablett was kicking 55m+ earlier in the year, was barely able to get 40m on his kicks against the Weagles. Start the hammy massages now!
And against Collingwood. He is clearly playing injured. Still able to contribute but absolutely forget about long bomb goals or electrifying surges forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1000% Spot On

Thats why i would have preferred ( assuming that Rohan is still injured and unavailable ) a smaller running player to come in - rather than a 6ft 4 inc plodder

Henderson did play well in that Swans final win against Franklin - but it wasnt just him against Franklin - it was Taylor and him against Franklin - they double teamed him all night in a slow motion game - cant see that working against Richmond

We just can't play too many talls in defence. As PO mentioned, two of HarryT, Blicavs and Henderson only.

If Henderson is named then he gets Riewoldt as it's the only realistic matchup he has. For mine, HarryT gets Lynch and Blicavs rucks with Stanley alternating forward to keep Grimes in check. This allows Ratugolea to play as #1 forward only.

Of course then there is the problem of Dusty. If he plays as a forward then Kolo gets him, if he plays on the ball then someone goes to him, maybe Menegola.:straining:

It does seem that Henderson could be surplus to our needs and maybe the inclusion of a smaller combative type such as SSelwood (tags Dusty) could be useful particularly if Dangerfield goes forward more.

Losing Duncan and Tommy has thrown open so many permutations that it's hard to make any sense of it all. :$

Tend to agree - Hawkins for Henderson - talk about gold rolled chocolates to boiled lollies

Richmond are fleet of foot - outside of the ruckman - Henderson would be the slowest player on Geelongs list

I was getting my hopes up - but i was assuming Gary Rohan was coming in

All bets are off now Henderson is coming in

We just can't play too many talls in defence. As PO mentioned, two of HarryT, Blicavs and Henderson only.

If Henderson is named then he gets Riewoldt as it's the only realistic matchup he has. For mine, HarryT gets Lynch and Blicavs rucks with Stanley alternating forward to keep Grimes in check. This allows Ratugolea to play as #1 forward only.

Of course then there is the problem of Dusty. If he plays as a forward then Kolo gets him, if he plays on the ball then someone goes to him, maybe Menegola.:straining:

It does seem that Henderson could be surplus to our needs and maybe the inclusion of a smaller combative type such as SSelwood (tags Dusty) could be benefit and help out in the middle if Dangerfield goes forward more.

Losing Duncan and Tommy has thrown open so many permutations that it's hard to make any sense of it all. :$

Hawkins had to be a diick hey - i just thought Geel were super impressive last week against West Coast - and he had to throw a spanner in the works

As a few other posters have suggested - Blicavs to play on Martin - i hope that eventuates - he played as a midfielder opposed to Scott Pendlebury a couple of years ago and got 2 Brownlow Medal votes

It does seem that Henderson could be surplus to our needs and maybe the inclusion of a smaller combative type such as SSelwood (tags Dusty) could be useful particularly if Dangerfield goes forward more.

Unless of course Hendo plays as KF??? Keep everything else status quo.
I think (a fit ?) SS will play thinking about the Strengths of Richmond

Asides from Edwards and Dusty all their smalls are average its the swarm tactic that gets you-dont go sideways in defence dont overhandball kick it out accurately and you lessen that.

Hendo will play back either HT will go forward or Blicavs will go ruck and Stanley forward (i hope not). Blicavs/Hendo/HT to Lynch and Riewoldt Kolo to whichever of Dusty/Caddy plays deepest and Tuohy/Stewart/Bews/MOC to the smalls.

Last edited:
Asides from Edwards and Dusty all their smalls are average its the swarm tactic that gets you-dont go sideways in defence dont overhandball kick it out accurately and you lessen that.

Hendo will play back either HT will go forward or Blicavs will go ruck and Stanley forward (i hope not). Blicavs/Hendo/HT to Lynch and Riewoldt Kolo to whichever of Dusty/Caddy plays deepest and Tuohy/Bews/MOC to the smalls.
Nobody mentions Prestia and he is a key for them. Accumulator and great user. If we can stop him it will help a lot. Watch him poll in the Brownlow and everybody says "wow, not expecting that".

I'm hoping the thinking/suggestion is more Blicavs as 2nd ruck in place of Ratugolea

So play Ratugolea in Hawkins role, someone else up forward in place of Ratugolea and Blicavs plays his main role but then relieves Stanley when needed

Why cant Stanley ruck with blicavs as kpd and 2nd ruck instead of Sav (i just dont want Stanley forward).

Nobody mentions Prestia and he is a key for them. Accumulator and great user. If we can stop him it will help a lot. Watch him poll in the Brownlow and everybody says "wow, not expecting that".

Hes ok but hes like half their side hes overrated. Its their system that wins for them not talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back