News Willie Rioli: tampered with drug testing sample; tests positive for cannabis

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure how disagreeing with the assertion that WC will just let Willie rot on the couch for 12 months means I'm defensive? You seem to think it's likely he will just be lazy for 12 months and find it difficult to grasp the idea that Rioli will have a support system up North to make sure he stays on track. Hell, I can even sense some racist undertones in your assumptions. You have literally added nothing that has made me question my original opinions and I don't need to answer questions that hold any merit. Why on earth do I need to answer the question if Willie will go fishing or not?

I can only assume you are a half glass empty kind of person and don't understand how professional sporting clubs with millions of dollars actually work.

I'm done here.
AFL Anti-Doping policy sec 22.4....
"Withholding of Financial Support during Ineligibility.
In addition for any Anti-Doping Rule Violation not involving a reduced sanction as described in clause 17.4 or 17.5, some or all sport-related financial support or other sport related financial support or other sport related benefits received such Player will be withheld by the AFL, the AFL Club and governments."
That may preclude WC paying for a PT....

In addition for any Anti-Doping Rule Violation not involving a reduced sanction as described in clause 17.4 or 17.5, some or all sport-related financial support or other sport related financial support or other sport related benefits received such Player will be withheld by the AFL, the AFL Club and governments."

Depends what: "for any Anti-Doping Rule Violation not involving a reduced sanction" means.

If it isn't a reduced sanction and he gets 4 years, means nothing anyway because he won't be on our list and will never play again.

But if its 12 months, which was the point of the debate, then doesn't that clause mean he would get financial support?

Going back up north doesn't equal career over. ffs.

I'm perfectly comfortable with my intellectual capacities. But i'm not comfortable with the boredom that has suddenly set in talking to you.
Tell me mate, where did Willie go when he was told he was suspended?

And good for you being comfortable, because i would say you're the only one.

Now back to the debate, i'll ask again, i bet you don't reply.

Link where i said that Willie will get fat?

Depends what: "for any Anti-Doping Rule Violation not involving a reduced sanction" means.

If it isn't a reduced sanction and he gets 4 years, means nothing anyway because he won't be on our list and will never play again.

But if its 12 months, which was the point of the debate, then doesn't that clause mean he would get financial support?
Reduced sanction as described in clause 17.4 or 17.5......

Mcgovern was fat too. If he got 12 months I would be confident he would return. Why is Rioli any different?
Did you ask the poster about your McGovern hypothetical? No.
You created it just now, and attempted to say we would treat him different.

There’s plenty of players I would think would gain weight if they copped a ban.

Not really serious but just part of the debate - what if one of the Club Sponsors or somebody similar not directly on the payroll of the WCE decided to bank role him until he returns? Would that be allowed?

Now, I'm no willie hater, but my summary of the current scenario to date:
  • We already have a fat Willie that needs dealing with;
  • It's Lance Armstong's fault (according to WA media); and
  • Duck reckons we don't need ASADA/WADA and AFL should take their role.
Let's unpack what that last one could look like:
- Greene running around in a prelim on mushrooms and amphetamines with a Freddie Kruger glove trying to impale eyeballs and flykick the goal umps - $1200
- Robbie Gray holding his kid's stick of fairy floss pre-semi-final v Collingwood - 6 weeks
- Bennie Cousins considered best rookie pickup of 2020

2020s looking willie quiet for some, but could put the fun back in footy

Summary of the arguments...

Argument 1 - ‘He hasn’t tested positive to any PED’s, he was severely dehydrated’.
Response - ‘where have ASADA said that?’

Argument 2 - ‘Willie is a drug cheat, he needs to cop 4 years’
Response - ‘Where have ASADA said that?’

We know very little of what has happened!! Things look very bad for Willie, but no one here or in the media KNOWS what actually happened yet...
How about argument 3 - "Willie did something that only a drug cheat (PED use) would be incentivised to do in the same situation. He needs to cop a severe punishment equal to the offence of being caught using PEDs."

It's all speculation anyway - us, the media, self-professed experts suddenly rearing their heads like the horse racing experts in November.

In the end there are only a select few parties privy to the investigation and none of them have a duty or responsibility to disclose it to the public.

But I guess this thread over the next few months will become one where posters can easily boost their like counts by posting withering diatribes, topical puns and fresh memes.

inb4trolllikesonthispost
Thread needs more Gunnar, what alias is he operating under these days?

Willies cooked. It's just how long he gets off now really.

I think the fan's clinging to the "lil mistake" and he will get off with a slap on the wrist are dreaming, unless there is some as yet undisclosed, monumental, procedural utensil-up on ASADAs behalf.

If Rioli wasn't on PED's it's a tragedy of his own making and if he was he is deserving of a ban.

Hope the authorities realise it’s really the cheating Lance Armstrong’s fault the poor unfortunate Willie will be banned .
Hopefully WADA announces further punishment for Lance after this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

well said which, unfortunately for Willie, is why the penalty will be at the top end of the range. we will never know for certain whether he took PED's. He will be judged based on a false sample and the penalties are high

Perhaps, though this is the AFL anti-doping tribunal we're talking about. The AFL's modus operandi when it comes to doping cases is to push a narrative of nativity and innocence (truthfully or otherwise) because no one in the AFL could possibly cheat intentionally (that would be brand damaging). Then look to deliver the lowest possible punishment that will satisfy ASADA.

I personally expect the AFL anti-doping tribunal to deliver a sanction of 18-24months... whether that is acceptable to ASADA remains to be seen. If they appeal and it goes to CAS it'll probably be 4yrs.

End of the day though, we'll never know to our complete satisfaction what actually happened. Willie's reported explanation is completely plausible. The suggestion that he's doping is also completely plausible.

Unfortunately, a mass of speculation (going both ways) based on incomplete facts is all this 100+ page thread amounts to.
Unfortunately it is not speculation that he has been suspended.
I truly hope it does not take the ignorant lazy campaigners at ASADA 18 months to get off their fat lazy taxpayer funded arses and get to the nitty-gritty of making a decision as it did with Sam Murray's case.
He had an almost indeterminable quantity of a a recreational drug in him and they ended his career with their abject self-aggrandising stupidity.
One can only hope that the entire ASADA staff suffer a miserable career ending misdemeanour asap.
Hopefully losing their tax payer funded super handshakes as well.

Low life scum they are.

Hope the authorities realise it’s really the cheating Lance Armstrong’s fault the poor unfortunate Willie will be banned .
Hopefully WADA announces further punishment for Lance after this.

At least he isn’t Chinese

Unfortunately it is not speculation that he has been suspended.
I truly hope it does not take the ignorant lazy campaigners at ASADA 18 months to get off their fat lazy taxpayer funded arses and get to the nitty-gritty of making a decision as it did with Sam Murray's case.
He had an almost indeterminable quantity of a a recreational drug in him and they ended his career with their abject self-aggrandising stupidity.
One can only hope that the entire ASADA staff suffer a miserable career ending misdemeanour asap.
Hopefully losing their tax payer funded super handshakes as well.

Low life scum they are.
Just out of curiosity cocaine on Match Day is considered a PED so he was trying to cheat got caught

Just out of curiosity cocaine on Match Day is considered a PED so he was trying to cheat got caught
The quantity detected was so minute that it was "almost undetectable".
Yes that is definitely Performance enhancing.
Have you ever had cocaine?
Just because George Pell says it was impossible to get his dick out does mean all alter boys were safe....
ASADA are lying campaigners who will say anything to get more funding.

The quantity detected was so minute that it was "almost undetectable".
Yes that is definitely Performance enhancing.
Have you ever had cocaine?
Just because George Pell says it was impossible to get his dick out does mean all alter boys were safe....
ASADA are lying campaigners who will say anything to get more funding.

You sound like an Essendon supporter

Far too high IMO. If a second sample was taken or a blood test, and I know we don't know this in this instance - but just speaking generally and not about this particular case that if it comes to light what the player has or hasn't taken - this is what the sentence should be based on IMO. Obviously Willy should get something even for just being stupid but not 4 years! I believe the 4 years was brought in mainly aimed at Olympians as they only compete every 4 years and this was to prevent them being able to compete in the next Olympics. I think 12 months is plenty for a footballer or at the very most 2 years depending upon the circumstances and outcome of the investigation.

I agree on the penalties issue. 4 years is definately based around an Olympic cycle. AFL should be negotiating around the same WADA code and testing but maximum penalties for first offence of 2 years.

On the offense itself and the blood test issue, my son is an accredited drug tester. He works in the occ health area not sport but he is accredited to perform tests for ASADA if he wanted to.
He made a couple of points to me.
Firstly the tester will not interfere with a someone doing something stupid in the sample. If they witness or suspect something they simply make a note and request a second sample. He says they basically say there has been a chain of custody issue and that sample can't be relied on. They don't even tell the person being tested what the issue was.

Secondly they do not then simply to a blood test. He believes it would be very unusual for a tester to even carry the blood test instruments when attending a urine test.

So when was the blood test taken, was he accompanied during the entire period, and will ASADA ignore it in any case

Eagles expect Rioli to get nothing. The test wasnt conducted properly under any circumstances. A fairly easy argument it seems. ASADA and co want to do some form of plea deal but Eagles not interested or having none of it. ASADA want to slap on wrist to hide the embarassment of their own fu** up, but Eagles seem intent on taking it all the way and getting him off.

Essentially guys, he cant fail a test he never actually took......

I can give you examples of a personal friend who did not take a test and were banned for 2 years because they were obligated to take the test. There was no ASAD f... up. From what I have read, and what I know of the procedures they followed the book.

I think he is in trouble

I agree on the penalties issue. 4 years is definately based around an Olympic cycle. AFL should be negotiating around the same WADA code and testing but maximum penalties for first offence of 2 years.

On the offense itself and the blood test issue, my son is an accredited drug tester. He works in the occ health area not sport but he is accredited to perform tests for ASADA if he wanted to.
Firstly the tester will not interfere with a someone doing something stupid in the sample. If they witness or suspect something they simply make a note and request a second sample. He says they basically say there has been a chain of custody issue and that sample can't be relied on. They don't even tell the person being tested what the issue was.

Secondly they do not then simply to a blood test. He believes it would be very unusual for a tester to even carry the blood test instruments when attending a urine test.

So when was the blood test taken, was he accompanied during the entire period, and will ASADA ignore it in any case
Has anyone reputable confirmed a second test and if it was blood or urine?

I feel like this one has been run with but there isn't anything that strong on a second sample existing?

Eagles expect Rioli to get nothing. The test wasnt conducted properly under any circumstances. A fairly easy argument it seems. ASADA and co want to do some form of plea deal but Eagles not interested or having none of it. ASADA want to slap on wrist to hide the embarassment of their own fu** up, but Eagles seem intent on taking it all the way and getting him off.

Essentially guys, he cant fail a test he never actually took......

Why wasn’t the test constructed properly?

How do you know the eagles think Rioli will get off? Do you have an inside source??

The blood test is a furphy propagated by the accredited afl media

Remove this Banner Ad

Back