Coach Chris Scott re-signs to 2022 (aka the Chris Scott discussion Part IV)

Do you support Scott coaching from 2020 onwards?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can’t disagree.

I saw Selwood took it upon himself to take the defensive side of the centre bounce. But he’s now too slow, despite his tremendous will.

And then Narkle went over or didn’t get his hands onto his opponent a few times in that third quarter.

6/6/6 and no runner really challenges teams.

That third quarter run-on for Richmond really was an example of this rule benefiting an attacking team. In the past we’d have parked Blicavs in front of Lynch after that first goal.
Why would we park our full back in front of him rather then just putting him on him?

Last edited:

IF you accept that every coach has "favourites" (which they do) then its hardly relevant to a discussion criticising a coach for having them.

I should say though that my experience was a long time ago...so maybe they don't any more.

You lose and the coach wears the brunt of the criticism, it goes with the turf....along with the "star" players....a visit to the Pie Board will find suggestions that Grundy was palming the ball to the opposition most of the time...wtf is he doing...., and Buckley is lacking the skills to be a Premiership coach.

Remarkable eh? Sounds like our Board.
Yet from where I sit I think Buckley can coach. Who else before he did it would have moved Moore to defence?

Let me be criminal then,Blitz is a great athlete but lacks a football brain,give him simple strait forward jobs,maybe full back there's an idea.
His kicking is average at best so really playing him on the wing where you need elite ball use skills to have an impact is just ridiculous.

But I'm not criticising him for his games as a wingman because he's just doing what he's told.

He played FB for the first half of the year and was in AA contention; why would you change it and how can anybody possibly defend such a ludicrous decision.

Really Zach? What crime exactly has been committed?

I'll help you out. We have a different view than you, Scott, and the bulls**t that we're constantly fed.

Go ahead and prosecute. Try turning up when the pressure's on for once too.

His point is a valid one. There is clearly reasons for the Blicavs decision we are not aware meaning we can't make an informed opinion.

I would like the club to let us know what they are but seems they feel its intellectual property they want to keep internal.

His kicking is average at best so really playing him on the wing where you need elite ball use skills to have an impact is just ridiculous.

But I'm not criticising him for his games as a wingman because he's just doing what he's told.

He played FB for the first half of the year and was in AA contention; why would you change it and how can anybody possibly defend such a ludicrous decision.

What was the logic behind the decision?

His point is a valid one. There is clearly reasons for the Blicavs decision we are not aware meaning we can't make an informed opinion.

I would like the club to let us know what they are but seems they feel its intellectual property they want to keep internal.

This secret squirrel crap that the coach and club constantly hides behind is really starting to grind my gears.

Sometimes, it's justified, but more often than not I think it's just a smug, defensive mechanism to dismiss and deflect scrutiny.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Relax all, Scott quoted as saying, " l'm sure when we all look back we'll all come to the conclusion we've had a pretty good year."
So there you go the coach has spoken.
It's all good! Lol!

What was the logic behind the decision?
I have no idea, so unless the club or coach comes out and states why they did it then for me personally I will always see it as one of the moves which cost us a GF spot.

If they want to keep it in house and don't care what people like me think then that's up to them.

The etc is the issue.I don't think we have an etc.
Our top 4 or so are elite, but it drops off too severely.
Watching Collingwood, Taylor Adams and Sidebottom are superb mids, and run both ways, Pendlebury is better. Treloar is a gun. Greenwood was NM's second best mid when he left there, and plays as a run - with player. Stephenson could play as a mid, runs all day, and gets 20+ possessions as a small forward. De Goey could be a mid. They ARE laden with true talent.
Kelly is almost flakey, Selwood has carried us too long, Danger is exceptional. Duncan is well below the talent level of all those named, makes way too many "unforced errors" to be highly regarded. Guthrie is our best 2-way mid, even Roos said that last night, and he is not in that league of players mentioned.
We could do this comparison with GWS, Richmond, WCE
I think too many here look at us only, and think we have a great list, but in comparison, we don't.
The thing is, I don't expect us to, and am not critical of it- it is just what we have, and at Geelong, CS is able to get that list to perform. Away from there, for whatever reason, the deficiencies are magnified. I don't get angry at his efforts to get us up, or to trick the opposition, because he is painfully aware of where we are at, and there is not much that can be done to alter that consistently enough under pressure.
If a new coach was able to do so, then my theory is useless, but it's going to be a while before it is put to the test.
The added issue is the decline of Selwood, GAJ, Hawkins, and Taylor

I don’t get all your love for Collingwood. They are on the same level as us. Pendles and Sidebottom are aging midfielders. Reid is also cooked.

You continue to say we aren’t that good and we don’t have the players. You even wanted to compare us with the “all mighty eagles” who we actually beat comfortably, in a final last week.

It seems you shield yourself from disappointment for the reason of not wanting to get burnt. I get that, I do, but a lot of what you said simply isn’t true.

We are absolutely capable. We showed that Friday night in a first half that was near perfect football.

When you continue to chop and change players when your finally starting to get a settled team is a recipe for disaster. I like Chris but he needs to take responsibility for that. We had hardly any injuries this year yet we had to bring back Bews. Why? And the most disappointing thing is it’s the same outcome every year.

Geelong remind me of a magician who’s really good but tries to do 1 trick to many and ends up completely stuffing up the trick. You didn’t need to do that trick you were already doing enough.

Last edited:
Relax all, Scott quoted as saying, " l'm sure when we all look back we'll all come to the conclusion we've had a pretty good year."
It's all good! Lol!

We'll look back with fondness on our days of at least making finals when Scott leaves the next coach with a team of geriatrics and no-hopers.

My biggest frustration with Scott & the coaches last night was playing Blicavs on the wing and seemingly not looking at trying something different on Lynch in the second half.

It's easy to blame Scott for not making the switch, but there's also Scarlett who is our defensive coach who may have had some say on the make up of our defensive unit. Did Scarlett not trust or want a switch of Henderson to the backline with Taylor going forward?

I would like to have seen a change made in regards to the Lynch matchup - but we lost the game through the middle, with Richmond running & working harder in the second half then we did

Wherever you put Hendo he was a liability, except when off half back he at least had a crack trying to mark. Absolute fish out of water fri. Would have preferred they bring in somebody like Fort or Smith and stick them in the goal square and to relieve the ruck. Stanley did well despite getting tired third qtr. But I understand why they went with Hendo. It’s just that supporters like me get a feel for things and you just knew in your gut it was bad when you saw him line up in the fwd line. Then he didn’t compete and in that first half he cost us two goals. I like the look of the team as announced with he and Harry back. Who was on Lynch?

Congratulations to Scott and the team for getting us back to a prelim. It’s just an extraordinary effort to do it while continuously turning list over.

Am not sure we’ll be better next year. Loss of TK’s skills under pressure is irreplaceable. HT back will be missed. But at least it will force Scott to leave Blics back.

I only watched the press conference once but thought Chris was going to murder someone and inconsolable. Gone was the smugness(some disagree but that’s what I saw) I like it. Thought Bucks was absolutely rooted. Felt terrible for them both.

Paddy gutted was unbelievable to see. Will he be next Cap?

Go Cats, get better next year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This secret squirrel crap that the coach and club constantly hides behind is really starting to grind my gears.

Sometimes, it's justified, but more often than not I think it's just a smug, defensive mechanism to dismiss and deflect scrutiny.

Totally understand what your saying however there was a reason for the move that we are not aware of. I am also working on the assumption that Scott is being held accountable to someone as all coaches should.

I keep comming back to the point that I think we have the 3rd or 4th best list, it's about 4 goals off being premiership material. The fact that we made a prelim and lost be 3 goals with no Duncan and Hawkins suggest Scott Got more calls right than wrong.

I will repeat Scott must be answerable for these decisions to someone at the club.

I don’t get all your love for Collingwood. They are on the same level as us. Pendles and Sidebottom are aging midfielders. Reid is also cooked.

You continue to say we aren’t that good and we don’t have the players. You even wanted to compare us with the “all mighty eagles” who we actually beat comfortably, in a final last week.

It seems you shield yourself from disappointment for the reason of not wanting to get burnt. I get that, I do, but a lot of what you said simply isn’t true.

We are absolutely capable. We showed that Friday night in a first half that was near perfect football.

When you continue to chop and change players when your finally starting to get a settled team is a recipe for disaster. I like Chris but he needs to take responsibility for that. We had hardly any injuries this year yet we had to bring back Bews. Why? And the most disappointing thing is it’s the same outcome every year.

Geelong remind me of a magician who’s really good but tries to do 1 trick to many and ends up completely stuffing up the trick. You didn’t need need to do that trick you were already doing enough.
Good points.
I see Pies being hampered by injuries and unavailability of their best .
Our issue to me seems that we are not capable of withstanding pressure from teams, many teams, and that has not been erased this finals series.
Any time a team that is able to pressure us with the ball we succumb too easily for a GF team.
Not saying we are no good, but I see us as a 6-12 team, and this year we truly bettered that.

It's all good! Lol!

With the players Geel has got i think it is a pretty good year

If you look at the 3rd qtr again ( which i have a couple of times ) - Richmonds 1st goal - outstanding goal with Lynch kicking - now you could have had Dustin Fletcher - Silvagni - Geoff Southby - take your pick at FB - wouldnt have done you any good - that was unstoppable - outstanding goal - so what is it to do with Chris Scott

The trouble with alot of Big Footy posters - is they will not acknowledge how outstanding an opposition team is - probably because of jealousy or whatever

And Richmond is an outstanding team - and they have got that kamikaze pace which no other flag winning team has had - awfully hard to stop that

Geelong lost by 3 goals - alot of teams would have got flogged by 12 goals and plus

If Geel keep playing like they did against the Eagles and the Tigers - then they have got a reasonable future

As Blight said recently re West Coast 92 and 94 ( outstanding teams ) some times you just have to doff your cap and say yep their too good - but illogical;Big Footy posters wont

As

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back