Competitions Eagles board 2019 Mock Draft - now underway!

Remove this Banner Ad

Omg how is this guy left!

Pick 11 - Hawthorn: Lachlan Ash (Murray Bushrangers).

This guy is a top 5 pick, so the hawks are grinning here to have secured someone so talented at 11.
Ash is an elite ball user off half back combined with blistering speed he breaks lines and really gets his team going. This was evident in his first game for Vic Country this year when he left the Vic Metro boys in a daze with his run and carry off half back. He continued this form throughout the champs with pin point kicking at speed.
Not only does he have an elite kick and speed but is a natural leader as the co captain of Murray Bushrangers and Vic Country. He's the all round package and will play round 1 next year.

Late in the season he pushed into the midfield and showed he was a very talented midfielder. Regularly collecting 25 disposals and a goal, but with a very high disposal efficiency.

Last edited:

Ok I had a couple I had pencilled in here for Port and to my luck both are still there. With this in mind I went best available and who I think will have the best career.

Pick 12.
Port Adelaide pick

1572055654656.png
14/1/01
192cm/106kg
South Australia/Glenelg
Defender

This guy has pure star written all over him. Reads to play like our own Mcluvin and is strong and tough.
The thing I like the most about him is, for his size, he loves to take the game on and run and carry.
He may have tested bady at the combine, but I wouldn't be too worried about that. I rate him higher than most onhere in the top 5 along with Luke Jackson as really good talls are hard to come by.
In the future I believe we will saying, "How did this guy last to pick 12"
I think Will Gould will be better than any of Ports other defenders and will take his place in the side round one.

The other player I concidered was Dylan Stephens, but ultimately I felt a quality Tall backman was a better option.

Carbine Chaos you're up mate!

Ok I had a couple I had pencilled in here for Port and to my luck both are still there. With this in mind I went best available and who I think will have the best career.

Pick 12.
Port Adelaide pick

View attachment 770563
14/1/01
192cm/106kg
South Australia/Glenelg
Defender

This guy has pure star written all over him. Reads to play like our own Mcluvin and is strong and tough.
The thing I like the most about him is, for his size, he loves to take the game on and run and carry.
He may have tested bady at the combine, but I wouldn't be too worried about that. I rate him higher than most onhere in the top 5 along with Luke Jackson as really good talls are hard to come by.
In the future I believe we will saying, "How did this guy last to pick 12"
I think Will Gould will be better than any of Ports other defenders and will take his place in the side round one.

The other player I concidered was Dylan Stephens, but ultimately I felt a quality Tall backman was a better option.

Carbine Chaos you're up mate!

This guy is a Shannon Hurn clone and like the former South Australian , I see Gould also becoming an AA AFL player in the future.

Gould is plug in ready to play and I think he will give The Rising Star Award a real shake next year.

Had my Gould write up done as I didn’t think he’d get taken before me. Great selection.

I’ll bid on Liam Henry.

Miguel Sanchez

Yeah I’ll match that. I’ll lose pick 22, have to work out what else happens.

While I do that, you’re up again.

Heading out to lunch so no write up yet. But to save time I’ll claim Cody Weightman for the Dogs. Reckon he fills more of a need than Stephens and Rivers.

new breed you’re up with the asshats.

Last edited:
PICK 15 - JOSH WORRALL

195cm / 83kg
Vic Metro / Sandringham Dragons
Key defender / forward

Geelong are short on key position players so Worrall makes sense at pick 14 .

An intercept defender who can read the play well , leave his opponent and help out others in the teams backline .
Worrall is a strong overhead mark who can also play forward where he played at stages in his Vic Metro games .

Geelong need a Kelly replacement ......Dylan Stephens should be next best midfielder but KPP in Worrall would be a need for sure so Geelong should be happy !!

Falco next up !!

Last edited:
Writeups for Fremantle's picks:
7 - Luke Jackson (ruckman, WA/East Fremantle, 197cm/93kg)

The best ruckman in the draft by a mile and has drawn comparisons to Brodie Grundy for the way he moves around the ground. A little undersized for the ruck spot at his listed 197cm height but he's probably not quite finished growing yet, and even if he has, his athleticism (as the ubiquitous "basketball background" player) will make up for it. In years gone past he'd probably be a top-three pick, rucks who can be an effective fifth midfielder when the ball hits the deck are worth their weight in gold, but lately teams have shied away from taking rucks early because of the years needed for their development. That's not really an issue for Freo with Jackson because he's a local boy who's unlikely to go anywhere. They take him here as the long-term replacement for Sandi, and will look to phase him in over Darcy (who I think is too limited to be a number 1 ruck long-term).

10 - Sam Flanders (inside mid/forward, Vic Country/Gippsland Power, 182cm/81kg)

Freo look to boost their young midfield stocks with Flanders joining Brayshaw and Cerra. Compared to Christian Petracca and Cam Rayner, Flanders has played in the forward line as well, and that's probably where he'll start his AFL career, but the Dockers will look to shift him into the engine room as he develops and Fyfe slows.

13 (NG academy selection) - Liam Henry (forward, WA/Claremont, 179cm/67kg)

Was hoping to avoid a bid on Henry before pick 10 which would have given me a serious headache, but I probably would have matched. He's an exciting prospect because he's so dangerous in the forward line, he'll develop into a genuine game-changer. Freo will be pinching themselves that they get priority access to him. Just one of those natural footballers, he could eventually push his way into the midfield as well but for the early stages of his career he'll be giving defenders headaches.

May as well give up some of my early tactics since I don't have another pick until 70*. Assuming I could add two top-ten prospects before a Henry bid, my dream picks were Robertson and Jackson, in that order. If Robertson was still available I would've taken him at 7 and hoped Jackson got past Melbourne and Carlton at 8 and 9. With him being off the table, I grabbed Jackson as the 12-year ruck heir apparent, and would've been happy to take any of Flanders, Ash and Kemp with pick 10. All three were available, I ruled out Kemp because of the injury and the worry that Freo may not see much of him in his first two years, then took Flanders over Ash largely on a coin-flip. Plus the Simpsons name helped.

*In addition to losing pick 22 on the Henry bid, Freo's pick 58 slides back to 70.

Backtracking a little to pick 6 and my write up for the Swans first pick Caleb Serong.

HEIGHT, WEIGHT: 178 cm, 83 kg.
POSTION: MID/ FWD
CLUB: GIPPSLAND POWER/ VIC COUNTRY
PROJECTED DRAFT RANGE: TOP 10 (pending bids, wouldn't see him lasting past Carlton's opening pick)
PLAYS LIKE: Robbie Gray

Missed out on my first preference in the powerful inside mid Tom Green who would be the future JPK but stoked with the second preference of Serong who could as high as Melbourne's pick 3 if they decide to go with a high pressure small forward.

Needing more potency in the forward and midfield Serong ticks both boxes early for the Swans as would Sam Flanders.

If the worst was to happen and the Swans lose Tom Papley back to Victoria before his current contract ends they've got a very capable midfield - forward replacement in Serong also.

What Serong lacks in size he makes up for in hunger at the contest and ability to win the ball. Like Parker and Heeney already at the Swans is a very damaging player forward of centre and when resting forward.

Also considered: Tom Green, Sam Flanders, Hayden Young, Lachie Ash

What are we thinking for live trades folks.

My Swans currently look to have 4 picks between 40 and 60 that I'm happy to trade for a better second round position / earlier third round look.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This guy is a Shannon Hurn clone and like the former South Australian , I see Gould also becoming an AA AFL player in the future.

Gould is plug in ready to play and I think he will give The Rising Star Award a real shake next year.
100% agree, he'll do really next year.

At Pick 17, Brisbane take Miles Bergmann.

Draft Central's write up on him:
A confidence player, Bergman has grown into his top-age season to become a lock as one of Sandringham’s first three players to be taken off the board come draft time on the back of a serious highlight reel. Athleticism, power, high marking and goals from range are the things that have seen Bergman draw into the first round conversation, with his ability to take games over slowly becoming apparent. The wingman/half-forward also proved a match-winner this year, relieving late pressure in the Herald Sun Shield Grand Final with a sensational pack mark to help St Bede’s scrape home on his way to best afield honours. Bergman’s enormous upside is undeniable, with all of his best traits desirable to clubs across the board.

STRENGTHS:
X-factor
Vertical leap
Overhead marking
Kick penetration
Athleticism

Reasoning:
Given Brisbane have pretty good depth everywhere across the ground, picking up a player with massive upside in Bergman should provide a point of difference in multiple positions across the ground. The only issues at the moment are accumulation and consistency, and these should be ironed out at the top level.

Overall, his strengths far outweigh his flaws, and he can be more damaging with 20 disposals than a someone getting 35 disposals playing entirely in the middle p.

new breed you're up.

Last edited:
PICK 18 - DYLAN STEPHENS

183cm/ 74 kg
South Australia / Norwood
Midfielder

Talented leftfoot midfielder with excellent break away speed and goal kicking ability .
Stephens has played senior football for Norwood and looks an outstanding player .
Broke the 2km combine record at 6.01 minutes recently which was subsequently broken later in the combine .

Comparisons to Andrew Gaff and Lachie Hunter and probably quicker then both , Geelong would be pretty pleased to draft the midfielder .

Wedgetailed Westerner your up !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back