Draft Review 2019 - Revisit the 2019 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Feel free to explain how Carlton "burnt bridges" then, because I'm not seeing it.

1. Everyone had Flanders to Sydney until yesterday afternoon. The change to Stephens impacted trade discussions between Carlton and Adelaide, and pretty much ruled out any chance that Geelong, Port and Hawthorn had of trading up for McAsey. Those possibilities were all on the table for weeks, and it was only in the hours leading up to the draft that Sydney's actual preference came to light.

2. Context - Carlton's draftees have been "fast-tracked" to the seniors by necessity recently, whereas this year we've taken a talented kid who slid due to an ACL and will probably spend 2020 in rehab, and a slight inside mid who will develop in the 2's for a bit. That's all I'm getting at there, we didn't get sucked in on "best available" Flanders just because he'd be ready to go in his first season, and I'm happy with that and what it means for the list as a whole.
Bid on Henry?

Your lack of understanding in what actually transpired is laughable.

Of course he knew which players were still in the draft pool, how do you not grasp that minor fact ??

Prior to the draft, Carlton had enquiries from three clubs (GC, Geelong & one other) in regards to trading down from #9.

Silvagni not only bid on those players to keep Freo & GWS honest but he bought some extra time to go back to the clubs interested in trading for #9. This led to the Blues trading with GC live in the draft.

Give yourself an uppercut and have a lie down.
The Blues couldn’t have had pre draft talks about different teams?

Bid on Henry?
I think is a technical move, he is Top 15 players, Carlton want to buy time to offload their pick 10, as they knew Gold coast will come after it. Fremantle I rate in top 3 in 2019 draft, no point arguing with Carlton calling everyone troll fans here.

Not happy, Jones and Bryan are three preseasons away from being genuine options. Cahill will struggle to find a spot ahead of Tippa, Fantasia and Mossie. Like Johnson but he’s a year away as well. Nothing to look forward to from 2020 perspective, we’ll be lucky to have more than ten games from our draftees two years in a row while we’re trying to improve.

We aren’t going to ever hold Dodoro accountable.
It’s the refusal by Dodoro to draft or trade for inside midfielders that is the most curious thing.

Whether you think the cats did well seems a bit of a Rorschach test.

Glass half empty
16) isn't named Deven
19) Won't be ready to play for years, possible Gorringe
27) traded a pick we could've taken Sharp for a pick in a very thin and compromised draft
40) who??
50) goes missing in games

Glass half full:
16) looks like someone put a jumper on a shaved gorilla
19) can't teach 2m tall, more consistent than Gorringe
27) pick 11 straight swap
40) 21 goals in 5 games... sorry what was his name again?
50) 2 goals per game in SANFL seniors

Why do people get pissed off with other clubs placing bids on their academy players?

It's strange, you don't have to match, just trust your recruitment team to make the decision, I have no problem with the Bombers bidding on Keidean Coleman or the Tigers making back to back bids on Noah Cumberland and Will Martyn. We decided Coleman was the only one worth matching, we've decided not to match in the past and it hasn't come back to bite us..... yet, eg. Declan Watson, Corey Wagner, Mabior Chol(maybe still time for him), Wylie Buzza.

Why do people get pissed off with other clubs placing bids on their academy players?

It's strange, you don't have to match, just trust your recruitment team to make the decision, I have no problem with the Bombers bidding on Keidean Coleman or the Tigers making back to back bids on Noah Cumberland and Will Martyn. We decided Coleman was the only one worth matching, we've decided not to match in the past and it hasn't come back to bite us..... yet, eg. Declan Watson, Corey Wagner, Mabior Chol(maybe still time for him), Wylie Buzza.
Brisbane do a good job with their academy. They said on the broadcast that they are happy to let some go, rather than keep stockpiling them for the sake of it. Obviously they take the standouts, they'd be stupid not to, but I like that they don't automatically just match bids. And it makes other clubs think twice before trying to force their hand in the future.

I think is a technical move, he is Top 15 players, Carlton want to buy time to offload their pick 10, as they knew Gold coast will come after it. Fremantle I rate in top 3 in 2019 draft, no point arguing with Carlton calling everyone troll fans here.
If the Blues have a bid player in the future, Fremantle, Gold Coast and Giants won’t play nice.

Adelaide, and North Melbourne already bid on players.

I still think it was totally unnecessary and pointless to bid on a player that won’t going to get.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liked Geelong and Adelaide’s work and the draft reverting to almost exclusively jnr’s. Geelong simply got value! Adelaide needed to regenerate their tall stocks and I liked Schoenberg. There’s now plenty of avenues for mature recruits so I like the draft being all about the kids.

Disliked St Kilda passing on Nyuon. Not saying it was the wrong call or anything rather that he’s a good kid so I reckon you match in those circumstances. I assume it was a list numbers call and they rated him as a rookie.

The Blues could have got Young or Serong.

Glad, they didn’t get Young.

They wanted Stephens though. The crows were waiting for the call for 4 minutes but it didn’t come because Carlton were only trying to get in front of Fremantle for Stephens

If we wanted Philp at 22 and thought you’d take him at 21 there’s no reason to not use 55 (a pick we weren’t using) to get ahead?

It’s basically 20 vs 22 and 55, but we don’t use 55. Smart play.
There was talk they were after DeKoning who came off the board just after you traded up which was unfortunate. Not sure Philp was Richmond’s target.

The smart move would have been to hold the start of second round pick, take the offer from Brisbane to trade down one spot and take the additional second rounder and Philp at that spot.

If the Blues have a bid player in the future, Fremantle, Gold Coast and Giants won’t play nice.

I still think it was totally unnecessary and pointless to bid on a player that won’t going to get.

The whole point is that clubs shouldn't play nice with Academy players though.

Henry and Green were top 10 prospects so on the off chance it wasn't matched it's a win for Carlton, if not the other club has to spend still a highly discounted price.

They wanted Stephens though. The crows were waiting for the call for 4 minutes but it didn’t come because Carlton were only trying to get in front of Fremantle for Stephens

Carlton wanted one of Stephens or Young.

The disagreement came about as SOS thought it was 9 + next years 2nd for 6, while Reid thought it was 9 + next years first. Adelaide wanted something more than a 2nd round next year as security, because of the chance Freo would do the deal with Geelong allowing them to move up to get McAsey before what would now be the Crows pick at 9.

I am not sure what Hawthorn, Essendon, North Melbourne and Richmond are doing today though. They could be proven to be great, but right now those 4 clubs seemed to have made some odd selections.

Pick 11 got us 2 top 20 picks and we have a heap of picks for points next year when we have a F/S and academy kids to go for.

Im very happy.

Gawn in the pin up for the ACLs but he was nowhere near the top 20. I could name 20 odd who have gone 1st Rd who have or currently shown little.

I hope Kemp goes really well but the historical odds are the slide was well and truely justified.

Name them. Not being a smarty pants but who has been drafted 1st round after a acl?
Boner and menzel you can't blame a knee injury on?

Don't think Essendon, Hawthorn Melbourne, or North Melbourne did very well at all, given the hands they have been dealt.

Although I still think the pick swap with The Dees will pay off next year for The Roos.

Jackson will be a very good long term get for MFC, but seems dicey to me that they would take long term projects like him and Pickett,when they need to bring in players who could come in ans have an immediate impact like Ash or Flanders, given they have givem away their first rounder to North next year.

Pies and Swans made the most of their choices, ditto the Suns and Freo.

Fairly happy with Carlton's haul, given that we were dealt a bad hand by having a few of our first pick choices snatched away by other clubs.
North extracted Essendon’s future second for a slight pick downgrade. This is in addition to Melbourne’s future first. This situation gives North a strong hand next year for clubs looking for picks/points, or a strong trading hand for a high level player, or worse case scenario we draft 2 good kids with two first rounders. We didn’t rate this draft and I rather trust in guys like Rawlings and Champion Data blokes like Luff than BF experts atm.

We also picked up players based on a needs basis. A project kpf/ruck, a smart small forward and a dual sided speedster that can play off hb/wing. Also, Walker as a kpd via the spp.

Couldn’t be happier, despite the hand wrangling of others.

Not happy, Jones and Bryan are three preseasons away from being genuine options. Cahill will struggle to find a spot ahead of Tippa, Fantasia and Mossie. Like Johnson but he’s a year away as well. Nothing to look forward to from 2020 perspective, we’ll be lucky to have more than ten games from our draftees two years in a row while we’re trying to improve.

We aren’t going to ever hold Dodoro accountable.
Needed a KPF and inside mids, it’s a bit hard considering your draft hand.

We're far less likely than most clubs to have a player to bid on given the shitty small zone we have.

So why shouldn't we make other clubs pay for having that advantage over us?

Carlton reaching for Philp is a head scratcher. Hawks reaching for Day arguably worse. Port reaching for Georgiades.

Everyone for letting Robertson slide, especially Geelong, Carlton and Richmond.

How the fu** do Dow and Philp get taken before Robertson

Hawthorn recruited Will Day with a view that he will play on the wing position as Smith (31), Henderson (31) and Scully approach the twilight of their careers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back