Draft Review 2019 - Revisit the 2019 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Happy with Harris Jones hopefully he becomes a Daniher replacement if he leaves.

As for the other picks meh.

I reckon you'll be happy with Nick Bryan in 3 years time B4L. He's a thinking ruckman, good ruckman height, and very athletic. Really good longterm prospect imo.

Hopefully by the time he's ready to go Adrian will have got a big mid for him to dish it to.

It’s hard to go past Gold Coast, Fremantle and GWS who had multiple high end selections.

Of the other sides, really like Sydney’s haul. Think they filled some holes on their list and picked up some guys who slid further than I was expecting who I think could be good. Could see Stephens, Gould and Taylor playing a fair few games straight off the bat. I’m guessing the weight issues is the reason for the Gould slide but can’t see how he doesn’t get into top shape once he’s in the AFL system. Think he’ll become a very good player and a few teams will regret not taking him. Taylor seems to have a lot of tricks and at pick 36 is well worth the gamble.

Not happy, Jones and Bryan are three preseasons away from being genuine options. Cahill will struggle to find a spot ahead of Tippa, Fantasia and Mossie. Like Johnson but he’s a year away as well. Nothing to look forward to from 2020 perspective, we’ll be lucky to have more than ten games from our draftees two years in a row while we’re trying to improve.

We aren’t going to ever hold Dodoro accountable.

I don't understand the anger from Freo fans.

They traded up specifically to get ahead of Carlton, knowing we liked Henry. They left themselves with a bunch of useless picks that were only really good for points matching.

We forced them to use those useless picks. I have to do the maths, but surely a bid 5 picks later would have used up almost as many points and Freo might have saved a couple of picks in the ~70s being sent to the back of the draft (which hardly counts as a downgrade as their may only be ~65 picks used this year...)

History I suppose , we never really got a great deal when we kicked off , not much in the way of financial handouts and apart from a couple of priority picks 20 yrs ago nothing much in the way of free hits via academy or f/s players

We finally get a win and a bit of luck falls our way and even then along comes SOS to just take enough of the shine off it to annoy us

History I suppose , we never really got a great deal when we kicked off , not much in the way of financial handouts and apart from a couple of priority picks 20 yrs ago nothing much in the way of free hits via academy or f/s players

We finally get a win and a bit of luck falls our way and even then along comes SOS to just take enough of the shine off it to annoy us
You still got Henry way cheaper than he was touted at so how is that not a win.

Can't believe we got 4 1st rounder caliber players in the latter rounds, mad props to Dodo n gang yo.

images

Not happy, Jones and Bryan are three preseasons away from being genuine options. Cahill will struggle to find a spot ahead of Tippa, Fantasia and Mossie. Like Johnson but he’s a year away as well. Nothing to look forward to from 2020 perspective, we’ll be lucky to have more than ten games from our draftees two years in a row while we’re trying to improve.

We aren’t going to ever hold Dodoro accountable.

Dodoro wins trade and draft week every year.

Just ask him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The obvious ones are the Suns and Dockers but they couldn't go wrong with 3 top 10 picks, not a big fan of the Demons 2 top 10 selections considering who they could have taken, love Trent Rivers(32) for them though, I was hoping he'd get through to us at the next selection.... I uttered some curse words and slapped the couch when the Demons called his name out.

The Magpies will be extremely happy to get Jay Rantall(40) and Trent Bianco(45) considering the selections they had, going into the night I doubt the Pies would have thought they'd be available at those selections.

Love the Swans group of Dylan Stephens(5), Will Gould(26) and Elijah Taylor(36), I know nothing about Chad Warner(39).

From a Lions perspective ecstatic that we got Deven Robertson(22), I wasn't even considering him a possibility for us on the 2nd night before night 1, glad we did the trade to make it happen, love that we matched Keidean Coleman(37), from my viewing of him in most of the NEAFL games he has elite traits, I see him as a steal at 37. Brock Smith(33) and Jaxon Prior(59) I know very little about so I have no opinion of them at the moment.

The word is incorrect... Interesting that you seem to think Carlton base there recruiting on who they think Richmond will pick..if that were true and I'm absolutely sure it isn't it would indicate that they have no faith in there own abilities as recruiters

If we wanted Philp at 22 and thought you’d take him at 21 there’s no reason to not use 55 (a pick we weren’t using) to get ahead?

It’s basically 20 vs 22 and 55, but we don’t use 55. Smart play.

The obvious ones are the Suns and Dockers but they couldn't go wrong with 3 top 10 picks, not a big fan of the Demons 2 top 10 selections considering who they could have taken, love Trent Rivers(32) for them though, I was hoping he'd get through to us at the next selection.... I uttered some curse words and slapped the couch when the Demons called his name out.

The Magpies will be extremely happy to get Jay Rantall(40) and Trent Bianco(45) considering the selections they had, going into the night I doubt the Pies would have thought they'd be available at those selections.

Love the Swans group of Dylan Stephens(5), Will Gould(26) and Elijah Taylor(36), I know nothing about Chad Warner(39).

From a Lions perspective ecstatic that we got Deven Robertson(22), I wasn't even considering him a possibility for us on the 2nd night before night 1, glad we did the trade to make it happen, love that we matched Keidean Coleman(37), from my viewing of him in most of the NEAFL games he has elite traits, I see him as a steal at 37. Brock Smith(33) and Jaxon Prior(59) I know very little about so I have no opinion of them at the moment.
Do you know much about the 2 lions academy players the tigers drafted?

They are both 40-60 Range players. Martyn apparently is more of a half Forward type. Both can play midfield.

Na Cumberland can play anywhere and martyn is a great ball winning mid. Tigers nailed the draft a nd feel lions missed a trick not matching

Max Gawn without the draft day hype
Gawn in the pin up for the ACLs but he was nowhere near the top 20. I could name 20 odd who have gone 1st Rd who have or currently shown little.

I hope Kemp goes really well but the historical odds are the slide was well and truely justified.

Do you know much about the 2 lions academy players the tigers drafted?
Yer, Noah Cumberland I like, I was hoping we would match, he is hard at it and plays at high intensity, great pressure all around the ground, neat disposal, just an all round good mid/small fwd.

Will Martyn is an accumulator with not a lot of hurt factor from what I have seen, not disappointed we didn't match.

What a surprise,

Stephens was gone before Adelaides pick so how could they lose him? Adelaide got the player they wanted and everyone knew they wanted McAsey. Now we have 24 and 25 tonight to take local players. Plus GWS first pick next year
Crows could have downgraded their pick 6 to the Blues pick 9 and still got McAsey plus change.

You're forgetting about pick 19 last year. Adelaide get 2019 pick 4 for 2019 pick 9 + 2018 pick 19. Pick 9 gets bumped to pick 11. SOS turns that into picks 17 + 22, then upgrades pick 22 to 20 with a late third rounder Carlton isn't going to use.

Pick 4 = 2035 points, pick 17 + 19 + 22 = 2818 points. Carlton have a draft points surplus of 784 points from those trades, which is the equivalent of SOS doing SOS things to get pick 25 for free. That's right, a mid second rounder for nix. Please do try to keep up.
Using the point system to make a point is a pretty weak argument.

In saying that, Stocker this year would have gone 7-11.

Therefore, the Blues did well out the trades.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back