Draft Review 2019 - Revisit the 2019 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Darymple has definitely helped. Nice range. A genuine inside would have been nice but Gould was just too good to pass at pick 26, and Schroenberg went just prior.

It is a good combination. Darymple in charge of the first and second round, and Beatson in charge of everything after. I think that plays to both their strengths.

Not sure WTF Carlton were doing. They traded 22 and 25, for pick 20, to draft a bloke that didn't get selected in the U18's and no one else was in a hurry to take.

Crazy Sossy!

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story..............

The obvious in Gold Coast and Fremantle as the winners, but not far behind would be Sydney,Collingwood and Geelong.

Sydney - Stephens (Well deserved pick 5 and is ranked my 4th favourite in phantom draft), Gould (steal), Elijah Taylor (steal) and Chad Warner (inside mid ball winner that tackles heaps) I don't rate Sydney in previous years of drafting but they nailed this draft. Needed midfielders and I love the picks of Warner and Stephens.

Collingwood - Pick 40 and 45 with Rantall and Bianco has to be the one of the steals in this draft easily. Looking for the future with Pendles,Sidey and Beams not going to be in the team for long. Love the pick of Ruscoe at 55 and another steal targeting a need with a swingman who can play forward or back.

Geelong- Stephens ( Great pick and glad they jumped on home talent who showcased his athletic ability in the draft combine despite suffering a fractured leg earlier on the season for most of the year. Was a potential top 15 pick earlier on and could be a very good player in the future. Love the pick! De koning (good need), Francis Evans (unknown to me but I will never question Wells so I am keen to see what he would be like). Cameron Taheny ( the biggest steal of the draft for me and if Geelong improves he mindset he will be the best medium forward mark my words).

Im pretty happy...to essentially turn TK and a FR3 into 3 R1s (stephens + P11 + wces R1 next year) + jenkins and taheny is about as good as you will ever see for the lack of leverage we had. TK is a gun and it will hurt us next year but i love the deal. I would have been happy with taheny at 27 so will take that.

Stephens is exactly what our mids need and taheny is the scoring power we desperately need.
Dekoning is long term and im 50-50 there but he is probably the best tall we could have got.

Need a ruck in the rookie draft but otherwise stoked.

I like Collingwoods value for what they had and love sydney backing themselves on gould.

Don't think Essendon, Hawthorn Melbourne, or North Melbourne did very well at all, given the hands they have been dealt.

Although I still think the pick swap with The Dees will pay off next year for The Roos.

Jackson will be a very good long term get for MFC, but seems dicey to me that they would take long term projects like him and Pickett,when they need to bring in players who could come in ans have an immediate impact like Ash or Flanders, given they have givem away their first rounder to North next year.

Pies and Swans made the most of their choices, ditto the Suns and Freo.

Fairly happy with Carlton's haul, given that we were dealt a bad hand by having a few of our first pick choices snatched away by other clubs.

Im pretty happy...to essentially turn TK and a FR3 into 3 R1s (stephens + P11 + wces R1 next year) + jenkins and taheny is about as good as you will ever see for the lack of leverage we had. TK is a gun and it will hurt us next year but i love the deal. I would have been happy with taheny at 27 so will take that.

Stephens is exactly what our mids need and taheny is the scoring power we desperately need.
Dekoning is long term and im 50-50 there but he is probably the best tall we could have got.

Need a ruck in the rookie draft but otherwise stoked.

I like Collingwoods value for what they had and love sydney backing themselves on gould.

Be very interested see how that Francis Evans fella you plucked from the Ammos goes for the Catters. He could very well be another Harry Taylor surprise packet recruit for Geelong. Very bold move by Wells, but I like it 👍

Word is Richmond were big on him. CD had him at 28 and Knightmare had him at 24. They ended up with Dow who is a similar prospect.

Most explosive player in the draft pool and had a massive 2nd half of the year in the TAC Cup.

Also some nice good will with Port who needed the points. We weren’t using that pick anyway.
The word is incorrect... Interesting that you seem to think Carlton base there recruiting on who they think Richmond will pick..if that were true and I'm absolutely sure it isn't it would indicate that they have no faith in there own abilities as recruiters

Absolutely stoked getting Gould at 26.
If he can carry that weight with speed and aggression already, I can see an absolute bull when the last of the puppy fat is converted. Ready made with leadership experience.
I just assumed he was mid-late 1st rnder for any club short of a KPD.
Yeah, our haul makes me want to head over to watch training next week.
Good work Kinnear

Pies did really well with their hand.

GC did well with Flanders, but then overpaid for Sharp
Cats a nice job, Stephens, DK and Taheny (go home factor alert)
Crows good result with Worrell
Brisbane got Dev but paid a price, Smith I like so a good get at 33
Carlton should've stopped trading after picking Kemp which was a huge win at 17
Freo got good players with good picks
Swans a really good group of players

Bianco and Rantall a really good result for the Pies, got great value for where they were positioned.

Obviously the Suns and Dockers knocked it out of the park, Swans did extremely well nabbing Gould and Taylor in the second round too, both were top 20 prospects talent-wise

Cats did bloody great to get that compo pick off GC too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Outside my club biggest winners-Freo
Biggest losers-North

After all the highlights,stats,profiles etc the most exciting player is Liam Henry.
Cyril written all over him.

Big losers are GWS.

Before trading they held 12 & 18 and a full suite of 2020 picks and had a mortgage on Green. Could have matched Green and still had pick 18 and a full 2020 set of picks.

To get Ash they effectively lost pick 18 and First and second rounder next year so Ash probably cost them minimum 2 x pick 18 and pick 36. He'd want to be good. Think Melbourne knocking them pack for pick 3 and Crows reaming them to get a two pick upgrade ahead of Swans hurt them.
If they don't trade up it changes the thought process of other clubs and they may be more inclined to go earlier..if the Green Bid goes in the top 5, it chews up 12 and 18.
Regardless bringing in 2 top liners hardly makes the Giants losers

Essendon didn't have a pick in the top 30 and in Jones and Bryan got probably one of the better KPF and Rucks in the draft that addressed glaring weaknesses on the list. Hmmm yeh that looks terrible.

Gold Coast haul is the best although trading out pick 11 next year was robbery by the Cats.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back