News Update: Confirmed - Victoria v Allstars, February 28th, Marvel Stadium, broadcast on 7 & Fox

Remove this Banner Ad

Official game day thread for the Vic v All-Stars match:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How Dunstall played for Victoria basically makes the entire State of Origin concept back then a sham.
State of Origin is simply a concept to strive towards. There has probably been no game truly 100% aligned to concept but it got closer for a decade and Dunstall playing for Big V that day was probably the one time it only had about one player not of true state origin. In reality it was more VFL v SA.
It is why Terry Daniher would wear the Big V as he played in VFL but in 1990 they allowed him to play for New South Wales. It chopped and changed depending on whom the two teams were. So for most of 1980's although everyone was calling it state of origin it was only partly that. Most times it was more about league v league and because VFL was the premier league if the other state league needed some of their best players back that were playing in the premier league they got them. It is why it is kind of amusing some people up in arms about the term SOO this week for this coming game. It will also strive to be as best fit to the concept but because one of the teams is not actually a state it is not truly state v state but which team you eligible to play for will be based on origins of your state when drafted as best guess.

Don't know how a team compirising of Fyfe, Cripps, Mitchell, Kelly, Coniglio, Nic Nat tapping it to them with Buddy up forward is a tier 2 team. Vics may have a better defence, but that WA midfield wins on current form if fully fit.
Are we just pretending that Victoria doesn't have Gawn, Danger, Dusty, Bontempelli, Oliver, Cotchin, Macrae, Pendles, Selwood etc

And if you are a Victorian and dont like this you are a hypocrite of the highest standard

I think you mean realist.

I'm not against the concept as such, but the reality if that WA & SA would be thrashed, which would be a boring/crappy game, and I don't like that.

I'm not against the concept as such, but the reality if that WA & SA would be thrashed, which would be a boring/crappy game, and I don't like that.
Lol, WA would more than likely win against Victoria.

It is for charity and that’s a good thing, not a fan of the concept either but as it was done on the run and for a good cause I am not worried about it.
Disagree however that the Vics Would flog WA at this point of time. They would touch up SA but I think WA would easily match or better the Vics at this moment with true SOO teams playing and committed.

By everyone else combined???

Seriously?

How many players do you think are on the field? You can only have so many midfielders. No matter who you put on the opposing team, who is better than Cripps, Fyfe, Kelly, Conglio, Mitchell? You have the last few Brownlow medalists in there. Give them a fit NN and good luck.

It is for charity and that’s a good thing, not a fan of the concept either but as it was done on the run and for a good cause I am not worried about it.
Disagree however that the Vics Would flog WA at this point of time. They would touch up SA but I think WA would easily match or better the Vics at this moment with true SOO teams playing and committed.

No, the suggestion was WA (and SA) Vs 'All Stars' (ie, everyone else combined).

That would be rather one sided, especially after depth is heavily tested by 'injuries' and not selecting too many players from any one AFL team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many players do you think are on the field. You can only have so many midfielders. No matter who you put on the opposing team, who is better than Cripps, Fyfe, Kelly, Conglio, Mitchell? You have the last few brownlow medalists in there. Give them a fit NN and good luck. Anyone who says that would be trashed is delusional.

Do you really think the best 22 would play?

22 out of the best 35-40 perhaps. (both due to 'injury', 'club fitness management' AND not selecting too many players from any one clubs)

How do you think your depth compares to everyone else combined?

The AFL have achieved their goal of getting themselves back in the centre of the headlines. Masterpiece by the marketing team.

NRL easily outdone the AFL on this one. They have their entire first round (8 games) dedicated to the bushfires. Still don’t understand why the AFL won’t do something similar. They must obviously feel there is some value to doing a SOO.

On a side note, I am assuming the AFL is selling broadcast rights to this game (or additional $$ from 7 given it’s an extra game). Can someone tell me whether they will give these dollars to the charity they are playing for? Or is it just gate takings?

The AFL have achieved their goal of getting themselves back in the centre of the headlines. Masterpiece by the marketing team.
I have no love of AFL administration but promotion of the AFL is a pretty fundamental part of their job. I’m not certain what the basis of complaining is for a promotional body doing its job?

Also, using their marketing capacity and promotional ability to raise awareness of bushfire devastation and funding to support recovery is a good thing surely? I doubt victims of loss from the fires would seek to turn down assistance on the basis of that assistance being raised through the AFL.

Nobody has yet to explain how it isn't state of origin.

You are picked for the team based on your state of origin. If you originated in Vic you can player for them, if you originated in another state you play for the All-Stars.

Its still state of origin, its just not the state of origin we all wanted.

There is no such place as 'All-Stars' that's why. Vic-SA, SA-WA and WA-Vic is true SoO.

2008 and this is just a representative fixture.

There is no such place as 'All-Stars' that's why. Vic-SA, SA-WA and WA-Vic is true SoO.

Exhibition, one team wasn't/isn't representing anything
An exhibition game is fine as a fund-raiser, just don't call it what it isn't.

Can see the Vics getting touched up here. Nearly a SoO, nearly.
wonder if the intensity will be there or rather a free running game with not much effort or intent. Thinking the latter.
All the stars will roll out...who wants to be the rotten egg that didn’t turn up for the bushfire appeal match.

Representative of what? Where they are born... so.... their state of origin.

As I said, its SoO, its just not the one we wanted.

NRL easily outdone the AFL on this one. They have their entire first round (8 games) dedicated to the bushfires. Still don’t understand why the AFL won’t do something similar. They must obviously feel there is some value to doing a SOO.

On a side note, I am assuming the AFL is selling broadcast rights to this game (or additional $$ from 7 given it’s an extra game). Can someone tell me whether they will give these dollars to the charity they are playing for? Or is it just gate takings?

An entire first round of NRL matches against a straight up 2.5m donation AND a fairly big exhibition game. Easily outdone my ass.

If the Allstars can field a side that can compete with the Vics then we have a match. But let's face, most the good football talent comes from Victoria. Victoria is just a football talent factory. No other states compete. They just make up numbers with a good player here and there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back