News Update: Confirmed - Victoria v Allstars, February 28th, Marvel Stadium, broadcast on 7 & Fox

Remove this Banner Ad

Official game day thread for the Vic v All-Stars match:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL articles says:
"There will be a maximum of three players per AFL club eligible to take part in the match to ensure minimal disruption to club's pre-season plans just 20 days before round one. "

Code:
Adelaide         - Rory Laird, Daniel Talia
Brisbane         - Harris Andrews, Charlie Cameron, Lachie Neale
Carlton          - Patrick Cripps
Collingwood      - Brodie Grundy, Jordan de Goey, Scott Pendlebury, Adam Treloar
Fremantle        - Michael Walters, Nathan Fyfe
Geelong          - Tom Stewart, Patrick Dangerfield
Gold Coast       - Alex Sexton
GWS              - Stephen Coniglio, Lachie Whitfield, Josh Kelly, Jeremy Cameron, Toby Greene, Nick Haynes
Hawthorn         - Jack Gunston
Melbourne        - Max Gawn
North Melbourne  - Ben Brown
Richmond         - Jack Riewoldt, Shane Edwards, Dylan Grimes, Bachar Houli, Tom Lynch, Dustin Martin
St Kilda         - Brad Hill
Port Adelaide    - Robbie Gray
Sydney           - Dane Rampe, Josh Kennedy, Isaac Heeney, Jake Lloyd
West Coast       - Lewis Jetta, Jeremy McGovern, Shannon Hurn, Tim Kelly, Elliot Yeo, Andrew Gaff
Western Bulldogs - Marcus Bontempelli, Jack Macrae

Collingwood (4), GWS (6), Richmond (6), Sydney (4) and West Coast (6) all over-represented.

no way I’d want 6 Richmond players in there. Not real keen on any top liners however I’d doubt they’ll be going full tilt anyway

If the Allstars can field a side that can compete with the Vics then we have a match. But let's face, most the good football talent comes from Victoria. Victoria is just a football talent factory. No other states compete. They just make up numbers with a good player here and there.

Good players here and there? You couldnt be more ignorant. The last few brownlow medalists would be on a WA side, not including the best forward of the last 20 years. If it was last year, the 2 best defenders in the game (maybe ever) would be on the WA side. A pure WA side (no per team limit and fully fit) wouldn't just complete, they would win.

Lacks talent

you lack intelligence.

Last edited:
If the Allstars can field a side that can compete with the Vics then we have a match. But let's face, most the good football talent comes from Victoria. Victoria is just a football talent factory. No other states compete. They just make up numbers with a good player here and there.
Why come on a thread about raising money for those in need and start trolling?

The AFL articles says:
"There will be a maximum of three players per AFL club eligible to take part in the match to ensure minimal disruption to club's pre-season plans just 20 days before round one. "

3, or 3 per (target) side from each club?

If it's just 3, then unless they make an effort to ensure balance, one side or the other might have trouble finding enough players, especially if clubs collude...(e.g. 5 clubs all nominate 3 players from similar positions and eligible for the same side, knowing that'll mean that their players are more likely to miss out).

People are getting too worried about their own players playing. The match will be played with less defensive intensity than most teams match simulation at training that they probably do weekly. No one got injured in aflx, of course there is a risk. But it wouldnt be a lot higher than a training session and probably less risk than a real preseason match.

3, or 3 per (target) side from each club?

If it's just 3, then unless they make an effort to ensure balance, one side or the other might have trouble finding enough players, especially if clubs collude...(e.g. 5 clubs all nominate 3 players from similar positions and eligible for the same side, knowing that'll mean that their players are more likely to miss out).

why on earth would clubs collude.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This. The Dream Team is not what state of origin is all about.

I'm happy for an exhibition game to raise money, but don't call it state of origin.
Agree. What is being mooted is only 50% SOO

People are getting too worried about their own players playing. The match will be played with less defensive intensity than most teams match simulation at training that they probably do weekly. No one got injured in aflx, of course there is a risk. But it wouldnt be a lot higher than a training session and probably less risk than a real preseason match.
Especially if they can get a sponsor on board who will pay 10,000 a goal, or a sponsor each team that pays 10,000 each time their side kicks a goal. They will kick 180 points each.

Westpac could use the positive publicity. Commonwealth has already spent a million for publicity buying Warne's baggy green.

NAB Vics v ANZ Allies

$10,000 per goal. The players milk the absolute nuts out of them. One on one in the forward fifty and zero effort to defend, if they can have team mates play on each other then even better, the two full forwards kick 30 goals between them.

Especially if they can get a sponsor on board who will pay 10,000 a goal, or a sponsor each team that pays 10,000 each time their side kicks a goal. They will kick 180 points each.

Westpac could use the positive publicity. Commonwealth has already spent a million for publicity buying Warne's baggy green.

NAB Vics v ANZ Allies

$10,000 per goal. The players milk the absolute nuts out of them. One on one in the forward fifty and zero effort to defend, if they can have team mates play on each other then even better, the two full forwards kick 30 goals between them.
I’d prefer they just donated a million dollars and played something resembling a normal game to be honest

Suggested starting teams for the game:

Vics
B: Grimes Astbury Vlaustuin
HB: Houli Balta Short
C: Ross Martin Caddy
HF: Higgins Garthwaite Lambert
F: Castagna Lynch Naish
Foll: Soldo Cotchin Prestia

Allies
B: Baker Rance Markov
HB: Conca Chol Broad
C: McIntosh Graham Pickett
HF: Townsend Coleman-Jones Stack
F: Rioli Riewoldt Bolton
Foll: Nankervis Edwards Miles

I'd pay to see that.

Suggested starting teams for the game:

Vics
B: Grimes Astbury Vlaustuin
HB: Houli Balta Short
C: Ross Martin Caddy
HF: Higgins Garthwaite Lambert
F: Castagna Lynch Naish
Foll: Soldo Cotchin Prestia

Allies
B: Baker Rance Markov
HB: Conca Chol Broad
C: McIntosh Graham Pickett
HF: Townsend Coleman-Jones Stack
F: Rioli Riewoldt Bolton
Foll: Nankervis Edwards Miles

I'd pay to see that.

No one else would.

From the Eagles I can see Gaff and Shuey being in contention for the vic team with Duggan an outside chance.
For the allies you would have Darling,Kennedy,Cripps,Ryan,Kelly,Yeo,Sheed,Sheppard,Hurn. and McGovern might be fit and keen to go.

So it would three available players from that group.
I like the idea of having both sides represented from the one club given it will be an exabition game for charity.
Duggan in an All Vic team haha.

I know a lot of people don't like the whole All Stars vs Victoria concept but at the end of it, it's not a true State of Origin match, it's a bit of fun to raise some money for charity. There's nothing wrong with the idea and i hope the players go out there, have some fun and a laugh.

NAB Vics v ANZ Allies

supercoach v dreamteam

you can’t deny there wouldn’t be passion in that if packaged correctly

Something is getting missed in translation. Either the AFL CEO is incorrect when he said "Each club will provide a minimum of three players to choose from" or Mitch Cleary is wrong with the story he posted prior to the official announcement (He was also on SEN stating the maximum of 3 players prior to the official press conference).

At the moment I'm siding with the CEO rather than the journalist.

I’d say each club will have to provide a min of three players to be selected (could be more), and the final squads will include between 1 and 3 players from each club.

No way the clubs would’ve agreed without a tight maximum. West Coast, Richmond etc could have 10 or 12 players playing. It’ll be 3 max.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back