Autopsy Round 1 v Tigers - If only the quarters were longer

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought we were going to get absolutely smashed after the first quarter. Good to see the team lift and somehow get within 15 points.

Weitering. An absolute beast. Kept Lynch to zero goals. Did Lynch even mark the ball tonight? Huge amount of strength and physicality. Take a bow.

Martin. Pure class. A smart player. Skill off the right and his left to Cunningham in the goal square was exquisite. Surprisingly strong for his size. Great intensity and somehow consistently shrugs tackles.

Cripps. Played well. Would've liked to see his disposal a bit more damaging.

Murphy. Sorry, but take a good hard look at your decision making. Just somehow manages to do the wrong thing at the wrong time.

Samo. A rock with his disposal coming out of half back. Classy and confident.

Dow, Fisher, Setterfield. Very, very disappointing. These guys hardly look interested and play with close to zero intensity most of the time. These three need to lift.

Casboult stood up taking some important marks and bring part of link up play.

Overall, the game was tough to watch. Too many turnovers from us trying to go long in our 50 to no-one in particular. Tigers would run hard offensively out of D50 and punish us severely with their run and carry. This must be worked on. With Harry and Betts coming back in the next month, and Willo and maybe LOB, our offence and run on the wings will definitely improve.

Positives
  • Doc started to get touch back and nailed some good disposal
  • Weitering looks in AA form
  • Cripps
  • Walsh won’t have 2nd year Blues
  • Cas is the best multi position tall in the game
  • Martin (see Cripps)

Negatives
  • As usual start atrociously
  • As usual when we have momentum we don’t score
  • Fish, Dow, McGov, Setterfield, Curnow, Murphy all were horrid and no Kreuzer meant we carried 1/3 of the team all night.
Why did it take so long to wake up? False positives did Richmond ease off because they turned it back up pretty quick smart when we came close.

Riewoldt over rated.. plays well for a quarter then does nothing.

THE GOOD: Weitering, Jack Martin/Newnes/SOS, Cripps, Doc and SPS. The mountain of work of Casboult today.

THE BAD: Make or break years for Setterfield and Dow. Not in terms of being on a list but ever getting to the top level we need. Feel like they might just be battler types at best. Dow surely out for LOB next week.

THE UGLY: a new type of injury for big Kruez, our stage fright in front of the empty house.

Never ever happy or satisfied with a loss, but am pleased the boys showed some old dark navy blue ticker in the 2nd half, Weitering's maturing as a quality KPD is heartening, as was Doc's return, and well someone please up load the Jack Martin highlights to YouTube online.

We needed that 2nd half, so Cathartic, even if The Tigers took their pedal of the gas.

Shattered for Kreuzer though, really gutted for the big fellow.

I grant the tigs took their foot off the gas somewhat, but we actually won on the scoreboard after 1/4 time. Take out the howlers and things are very interesting.

Crippa, Martin, Cas, Weiters v good. Doc as good as could be expected. Gov had an 'almost night'. Dropped a couple that could have been very significant. I like SPS down back. I like jsos in his current role. Murphy wastes so many good opportunities, but at least he gets to the right positions. I've tried to be patient about Dowe, but I think its time to look at others in his spot.

I think we got bullied early, but fought back quite well.

We will know we have turned the corner when someone in Blue takes that flog D Martin and turns the tables on him physically. He is a bully, a fabulous player and really good at throwing. (must be the kiwi backgound)

One thing I will say, when we’re switched on we play a much faster and more attractive style of footy under Teague. There’s a real intent to play the corridor and the angles. Of course you need pressure and skill to go with that and we didn’t bring any of that in the first half.

Christ we could have done with Harry clunking then though. And Charlie for the cut out kick down the line.

One day...

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

was really happy when jsos took that mark. i think he will continue to improve with his marking as his arms/shoulders gets stronger..still a youngish body.

should have went back and kicked it but he'll learn for next time.
getting a little weary of this sort of jsos coddling.......

Very, very disappointed with Setterfield tonight. All this preseason talk of training the house down and taking it to the next level and he dishes up that dross. Truly insipid. Dow just as bad. Gibbons not much better.

Jack Martin you star, excellent debut.
Crippa, Weitering and Docherty superb.
Casboult and SPS also great.

Plenty of improvement for a few.

Not sure what's happening with Walsh, didn't seem to be in the midfield much (clearances?).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

THE BAD: Make or break years for Setterfield and Dow. Not in terms of being on a list but ever getting to the top level we need. Feel like they might just be battler types at best. Dow surely out for LOB next week.

There’s your Gibbs deal.

:think:

Saw enough positives to still be confident we'll be around the fringes of the 8 this year, which is a good lift from where we were...let's not forget Richmond are easily the best team in the comp, dealing out many thrashings over the last 3 years. Including against other top 8 teams.

Positives
  • JACK MARTIN - not just the 4 goals but set up many scoring shots for teammates with his skill and competitiveness. Was also tough physically.
  • Doc straight back to his old self
  • Weiters destroyed Lynch
  • Cripps dominant as always
  • Levi very good again and had to ruck most of the game
  • SPS injured over pre-season but was silky and safe with ball in hand
  • JSOS & Gov at least looked threatening in the air

Negatives
  • Setterfield 6 disposals, Gibbons 7 disposals and Dow 7 disposals...they needed to contribute more
  • Dow is a liability as a forward...misses easy shots at goal and just doesn't have the F50 nous. Doesn't make things happen and hit the scoreboard like Martin, Bolton, Rioli & Castagna did.
  • Kreuz injury :( can just about put a line through him unfortunately as we need a durable no.1 ruck
  • Really poor start giving up soft goals

In reply to ShanDog, yes I quite like the 16 minute quarters.

Less punishment overall.

If they really wanted to shorten the match, they could have just skipped the 1st quarter... ;)

I grant the tigs took their foot off the gas somewhat, but we actually won on the scoreboard after 1/4 time. Take out the howlers and things are very interesting.

Crippa, Martin, Cas, Weiters v good. Doc as good as could be expected. Gov had an 'almost night'. Dropped a couple that could have been very significant. I like SPS down back. I like jsos in his current role. Murphy wastes so many good opportunities, but at least he gets to the right positions. I've tried to be patient about Dowe, but I think its time to look at others in his spot.

I think we got bullied early, but fought back quite well. Loosing Kruez early was a blow, but Cas stood tall.

We will know we have turned the corner when someone in Blue takes that flog D Martin and turns the tables on him physically. He is a bully, a fabulous player and really good at throwing. (must be the kiwi backgound)

Don’t really agree with the ‘taking their foot off the pedal’ statements from a few posters, it’s the first game of round one. Surely every team would go for the others throat and boost percentage from the outset. Thought our midfield got first use, mostly through Levi, and we ran for each other and were more intense at the contest, forcing the Tigers to kick and kick long, rather than handball, handball, handball.

THE GOOD: Weitering, Jack Martin/Newnes/SOS, Cripps, Doc and SPS. The mountain of work of Casboult today.

THE UGLY: a new type of injury for big Kruez, our stage fright in front of the empty house.

Dow had more of a presence around the ground tonight.

I didn't even noticed Setterfield was out there. That's how poor he was.

Enjoyed the fight from the majority of the club. Those bashing Murphy are bashing someone who definitely has the capacity to make mistakes but they generally seem to me from him trying so hard to force the issue. Far more concerning issues than Murphs play at the moment.

Overall I enjoyed the game and what I saw from most players.

Oi. I didn't snipe anywhere near as many players in my career as Hodge. I hit them from in front like a gentleman.

Tague has shown he makes good game-day decisions. I wonder if the lack of runner access to the players makes it seem like we are adjusting too slowly. Then again they kicked a s**t-tin of goals so... maybe the runner was tired from repeat efforts?
My issue is purely that if he knows how to change the matchups/tactics to make things work, why cannot those matchups/tactics be in place from the first bounce?

I'm not impatient, and I think we were a chance to make finals prior to the shortening of the season. I just would thoroughly enjoy belting the Tigers again, and it doesn't look like it's going to happen any time soon. They started to coast after half time which let us back in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back