Autopsy Round 1 v Tigers - If only the quarters were longer

Remove this Banner Ad

And back on the topic .....jsos totally deserves a spot in the side ...he's smart..classy...can play many positions..is still putting kilos on ....from what i recall even his dad took some time to achieve what we all know He eventually did

Just rewatching now. Second quarter just shows how much we are crying out for more quality and silk from our half forwards and wingers. Delivery inside 50 was poor despite gaining clearance and space from the stoppages. We overworked the ball too much at times at HF or just bombed it in and it killed us. Relying on players like Dow to play half forward and expect top class passing and vision is something we need to stop in the next 12-24 months. We need another 2 Jack Martin like players. We have the players who can win the ball at the stoppage but we have not many who can polish their work off. They kicked 4 in 4 minutes pretty much after 12 minutes of dominance from us. I want players like Fish, Dow, Setters and the like to make it and be part of the 22 but they need to find consistency and get to that next level in their game. Lastly - no to Walsh at HF please, Teaguey. Please.
Been saying for years we lack polish and poise. Jack M. brings that but hardly anyone else.

Has anyone thought out that if the season Will continue (i'd put a big if on that) our missing forwards will come back available, thus to our advantage ? Its not cynical thinking but a simple fact....on the other hand .if the season Will be interrupted it Will be a time setback for our young talent growth..
I am currently living in lombardy italy and from what i've been seeing in europe ..be sure ...unfortunately no option can be ruled out
Has anyone thought it? Pretty much everyone has.

Jack did a great job on Fyfe and Oliver, but those matchup suit him size and pace

Horses for courses
Horse for course! What we’ve got in their is not working. Most unacceptable midfield in the competition in my opinion.

I disagree and basing it on one game, against the best side in the last 3 years is not really a true indicator
Try two games. Makes sense. Gets the job done and doesn’t go back into the midfield again. WOW!!! That’s real smart!

Try two games. Makes sense. Gets the job done and doesn’t go back into the midfield again. WOW!!! That’s real smart!

SOJ did a good job as a third tall forward - he is playing - don't forget we have Stocker and Kemp in fermentation mode - decent insurance policies, not to mention Philp who was an emergency. I think Dow's biggest issue is low footy IQ atm and Setterfield may have just had one of those bad games that will happen to anyone.

Isn't that one of the criteria of a matchup?

Would you put a substandard endurance runner on a Scully?
So Fyfe is slow so jack can play on him. Don’t let your eyes deceive you. David Rhys Jones looked laconic.
JSos is in the clubs top 5 for speed over 20 meters. I reckon Fisher gets caught more than him

So Fyfe is slow so jack can play on him. Don’t let your eyes deceive you. David Rhys Jones looked laconic.
JSos is in the clubs top 5 for speed over 20 meters. I reckon Fisher gets caught more than him

You are missing the point

Can Weitering play on Rioli?

Can Simpson play on Lynch?

Jack can play on some mids, but not others

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are missing the point

Can Weitering play on Rioli?

Can Simpson play on Lynch?

Jack can play on some mids, but not others
I think you maybe be missing the point
Has not gone into the midfield in any pre season game this year. I would have thought he should have spent sometime in there. At least one stoppage a quarter. Yet gibbons, fisher, Dow, setterfield, Cunningham etc I’m concern our selection is based on potential rather than form.

I think you maybe be missing the point
Has not gone into the midfield in any pre season game this year. I would have thought he should have spent sometime in there. At least one stoppage a quarter. Yet gibbons, fisher, Dow, setterfield, Cunningham etc I’m concern our selection is based on potential rather than form.

Form?

Look, I agree that players like Jack should rotate through there at times, but it still needs to be viable matchups.

Think we have bigger fish to fry

Hmmmm
Pace is the issue now.
Has always been an issue nothing new or groundbreaking news in that, on the quicker more fleet of foot mids SOJ would get left in there wake unfortunately, on a Fyfe or Oliver that’s fine but would be a big problem on others.

OK I'll go the other way: Outside receivers have to have the sort of pace being referred to - which can only be used if they actually get the ball- for all their supposed 'pace' - Dow and Fisher and Gibbons (just watch teh footage) are always trailing their opponents...brains > pace every day of the week.

just watched a replay of the first quarter. jones needs to play closer to his opponent. Riewoldt marked 4 times in the 1st quarter and each time jones was trailing rielwoldt from several meters when the ball was fist kicked to him. smart forwards will always use this to their advantage and jones isnt waking up to it. It was a major problem in previous years and he still seems to be doing it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back