Autopsy Round 1 v Tigers - If only the quarters were longer

Remove this Banner Ad

Very, very disappointed with Setterfield tonight. All this preseason talk of training the house down and taking it to the next level and he dishes up that dross. Truly insipid. Dow just as bad. Gibbons not much better.

Jack Martin you star, excellent debut.
Crippa, Weitering and Docherty superb.
Casboult and SPS also great.

Plenty of improvement for a few.

Not sure what's happening with Walsh, didn't seem to be in the midfield much (clearances?).
I was wondering the same re Walsh. Seemed to be playing a different role. I can’t work out why? He needs to be mostly on ball imo

Best were easily Weitering and SPS, strong, smart clean

As always Cripps can stem the tide

Martin all class

Levi seems a better option in the ruck and round the ground, just bring in TDK

Good first up by Newnes

Can't leave Gibbons and Cuners camped in the 50, when allowed 5o drift up the ground they helped ball movement

Concerns

Walsh not using the first option and his kicking

Setters seems lost

Dow, either let him hunt the footy or send him back to the VFL ( yeah yeah, I know)

Margin: Not far off after a terrible start. The difference between both sides, hitting targets

If it was a full season, 10-13 wins would be achievable
By the end of the game Weiters confidence in the contest was sublime just manhandled Lynch by the end.

Fantastic debut by Martin.

Not just his goals, but ones he set up too.

And I think he'll be even more valuable once Harry and Charlie are back. He'll have marking targets to hit and he's very good at kicking to advantage.

Cripps our best, did what we always expect him to do.
Doc didn't look like a player who had missed two years of footy.
Martin, great start to his Carlton carer, great skills.
Weitering's the rock in defence.
Casboult did a great job for us with Krooze injured.

There were enough positive signs there and we didn't get smashed by a well drilled and more experienced opponent.

So I went to get my haircut at HT, and, I s**t you not, walk into the barber's in East Dulwich, London and the Baggers/Tigers game is on the telly.

Score.

Plus we did ok.

Everyone breathe.

East Dulwich hey.. is the Plough still there? Lordship Lane if I remember correctly. I worked there way back in 92..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Much better after qtr time all things considered, put our missing forwards in even closer. Jack Martin absolute weapon. Just need some luck with injuries which never happens and we need setterfield and Dow to step up.

Richmond are just too good - they’re a super footy team.

I can’t help think that the first qtr the moment or lack of moment really caught us out... Richmond came to play and I reckon we were thrown by no crowd. It looked like we didn’t adjust.

We can sugar coat it all we like but were outgunned and outclassed. The scoreboard flatters the performance. When the heat was on early, like previous years we failed. Catch up football. No excuses this year either. First game I know but I feel
we are still a long way off. And where is Paddy Dow at???

Happy with the effort all round in the second half.
Why do we take a 6 goal head start to get a team wide rocket for effort and skill execution to kick in?
Can’t see many rounds being played before the s**t kills the season until after June maybe?
Plenty to revel in, we’d have beaten most teams tonight.
This. 👍

Enjoyed the fight from the majority of the club. Those bashing Murphy are bashing someone who definitely has the capacity to make mistakes but they generally seem to me from him trying so hard to force the issue. Far more concerning issues than Murphs play at the moment.

Overall I enjoyed the game and what I saw from most players.

Granted he did make a few poor decisions, but people focus way too much on them.

He also did plenty of good work and was hard at it and clearly giving 100%. He gut ran as usual and provided link up to set up F50 thrusts.

Anyone else think even without Curnow, McKay and Betts our forwardline looked dangerous and unpredictable?

Martin is already adding more than the sum of his parts with his aerial ability, and composure in heavy traffic. Halved a stack of contests against much bigger opponents, which led to Gibbons, Cunners and JSOS getting free on the outside.

Still criminally under utilising Setterfield, given him no stoppage time and pushing him into a flank against much more agile, crafty players. Why not just pick another flanker?

Pretty good effort overall given the sluggish start. Was looking very ugly early on.

Happy I didn't turn it off at HT, was pleasing we didn't throw the towel in, lots to like after QT, which was just a disaster.
Jack Martin is all class, has a bit of mongral too, me likey, look all in all, I think when we get some targets to kick to up front, we will be a handful to most sides.

Not a bad result for an exhibition game, cos thats about all its gonna be, a tv rights catchup with about 3 rounds max til the end of the yr. thats my take.
My take on the game itself, Jack Martin is gonna be a gun, if I'm wrong (and I'll concede I have been many a times), and he gets to play along side Betts with a few talls. Look out. We had the odds stacked against us, injury wise selection then injury wise during the game. To lose Kruze without TDK was massive. But we were resolute, we fought hard and got ourselves back into the game without a standard starting line up. Tells me the coach and players can adapt. Being a bit young I noticed one big thing during the game. Rmond players hurt whenever opposition took marks. crunched then held. We tend to just accept the marks and hold ground. Dustin Martin should have given away a few 50's. dragging knees and putting his feet into opposition head areas but it tends to do unnoticed, even a fistful of jumper and push in the back with both hands is by the commentators great play. We need to know how to hurt. Yes Rmond were the better team and deserved to win, they are just efficient. Know when to knock on to advantage, know when to take a set shot and that to me was the difference between the two teams. A lot to take out of that hit out and a lot to learn.

getting a little weary of this sort of jsos coddling.......
he is nearly there and can be a very effective 3rd tall option. thought he did well tonight..certainly has the smarst..was a great goal when he baulked the tigers players... marking is what he needs to continue improving on and he took one good one tonight. i would sooner perservere with jsos than quiet a few others.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back