Autopsy Round 1 v Tigers - If only the quarters were longer

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone else think even without Curnow, McKay and Betts our forwardline looked dangerous and unpredictable?

Martin is already adding more than the sum of his parts with his aerial ability, and composure in heavy traffic. Halved a stack of contests against much bigger opponents, which led to Gibbons, Cunners and JSOS getting free on the outside.

Still criminally under utilising Setterfield, given him no stoppage time and pushing him into a flank against much more agile, crafty players. Why not just pick another flanker?

Pretty good effort overall given the sluggish start. Was looking very ugly early on.

It's a very good forward line if we can actually get them on the park together.

Martin is just amazing...can take overhead marks, shrugged tackles, tough, kicked well off both feet, good accuracy kicking for goal. That goal he kicked when he won the ball, ran off Broad and snapped a goal while Broad was tackling him was elite.

Dimmas presser is an interesting insight into the way parochial footy clubs and their supporters are. We (I have the authority to speak for all of carlton, don't I :) ) are the firm view that they got away with murder and many of their goals, especially early when the umpiring was at its lowest ebb, pretty much gifted them the momentum and the game. Dimma was just short of calling the umpires cheats as we got 8 goals directly from free kicks. I'm pretty sure all of our free/goals were pretty clear cut. Not sure the same applies the other way around

Defensive effort from Fisher, Dow, and Setterfield absolutely slaughtered us tonight. There were several stoppages where Lambert was left on his own, while Fisher was looking for the cheap one off to the side. Murdered his own side on the spread. Fix this ASAP.

Weitering, Cripps, and Martin are stars. Levi, Jack, and McGovern fought well. SPS as classy as ever. Welcome back, Doch <3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This ‘oh Tigers didn’t really try most of that game’ is rubbish.

They didn’t look like they were trying because we were dominating possession, and they were worrying about not only the entries coming in, but also the way were seemingly creating opportunities out of nowhere once the ball was in our forward 50.

Don’t buy into the Tigers mythology. They dominated the first quarter because of their stars, and it was those same stars who bailed them out when we were pressing in the last. No doubting their system, but it’s obvious how many average players they have running around in their best 22.

Time to step up Gov. 2 years ago Cas was being labeled as a filler until someone better came along. He pulled his finger and has become quite a pivotal utility. Gov came with a price on his head which we paid and he hasn’t done much to repay the faith.

He was fine tonight. Competed well.

Thoroughly agree with putting SPS into the middle and bringing Williamson into the team.

Samo is too good to not have around the ball consistently. He was super tonight. And looked much stronger too, physically robust.

I’d personally leave him where he is. His mop up work, especially in the clinches down back, was sublime. He is Simmo’s replacement going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’d personally leave him where he is. His mop up work, especially in the clinches down back, was sublime. He is Simmo’s replacement going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We need to bring Williamson into the team STAT, though. And we also need another capable midfielder.

We did get a lot of frees but they were there and we easily could of got a lot more. That’s the way they play. Hardwick should be grateful they have gotten away with it for so long.

We finally played them at their own game in the 2nd half and they sooked it up, as expected. Don’t understand why we didn’t do that from first bounce. Oh and Dusty is surely up at the tribunal this week......

where to for setters...he has talent but just not being able to put it together. Anyone know whats happening with him? being played out of position, confidence, body conditioning issues other??
So what are his most talented attributes ?

I look at him and cannot see many.

It’s not like he is quick, clean by hand or foot or marks it well etc

he is nearly there and can be a very effective 3rd tall option. thought he did well tonight..certainly has the smarst..was a great goal when he baulked the tigers players... marking is what he needs to continue improving on and he took one good one tonight. i would sooner perservere with jsos than quiet a few others.
Jsos will be very good with a few legit talls and crumbers around, his shots for goal are not elite, his strengths are creating something out of nothing, assists.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back