Analysis With so many clubs in jeopardy during the coronavirus, is it time for WA to bail out VIC again?

Remove this Banner Ad

welcome to 20 years ago

bennel, crowley, johnson, yarren, hogan, wilson all recent and current

freo do ignorant as well as they do failure

is belly still lying for your current junkie ?

its no doubt each club has there fair share of junkies, take a look at your current captain he was pretty well known around the nightlife scene to be chewing his face off every weekend.

its no doubt each club has there fair share of junkies, take a look at your current captain he was pretty well known around the nightlife scene to be chewing his face off every weekend.

supporting failure i guess you need to cling to these type of lies

Yes we all know what happened back in the bad old 80's, the beginning of the AFL, right? And the fact that era was bourne thanks to the blood, sweat and tears of Western Australia. Not to mention the creation of a club that had to sell its soul to the VFL to bail out a bankrupt competition in the first place.

Nevertheless, here we are again. Two of the most powerful and profitable clubs in this pissant league will probably be asked to donate money again to a couple of suburban league clubs masquerading as proper organisations run by amateurs. And yet again, history repeats.

AFL, you're welcome.
Freo posted a pretty big loss in 2020 of 1.6 million dollars and that's including getting AFL funding of 2.5 million in advance firstly and WCE will post a massive write down in assets this year to the point the WAFC is facing Ruin and asking the government for money in a meeting as we speak

Considering WCE is the highest in terms of revenue, its also rhe club which relies on bums on seats to generate revenue. Over 30m worth and rely on that more then any other club.

Sit down. WCE and in general WA footballmay not come back. Worry about your own backyard surviving first

Last edited:
Yes we all know what happened back in the bad old 80's, the beginning of the AFL, right? And the fact that era was bourne thanks to the blood, sweat and tears of Western Australia. Not to mention the creation of a club that had to sell its soul to the VFL to bail out a bankrupt competition in the first place.

Nevertheless, here we are again. Two of the most powerful and profitable clubs in this pissant league will probably be asked to donate money again to a couple of suburban league clubs masquerading as proper organisations run by amateurs. And yet again, history repeats.

AFL, you're welcome.
Dunning-Kruger effect could be you

AFL, you're welcome.
Every week can be derby week if that’s what you prefer. We’d have to put up with a damn sight less whining if that is what you’d prefer to do. I mean, we’d still have Geelong, but they might grate a bit less if we didn’t have to listen to so much crying from you.

Freo posted a pretty big loss in 2020 of 1.6 million dollars and that's including getting AFL funding of 2.5 million in advance firstly and WCE will post a massive write down in assets this year to the point the WAFC is facing Ruin and asking the government for money in a meeting as we speak

Considering WCE is the highest in terms of revenue, its also rhe club which relies on bums on seats to generate revenue. Over 30m worth and rely on that more then any other club.

Sit down. WCE and in general WA footballmay not come back. Worry about your own backyard surviving first
I would have thought membership revenue is your safest bet at the moment, at least it is a stream of income going directly to your club. Yes, we could lose members due to financial hardship, but seated members make up the bulk of the revenue and we have a waitlist of 20-30k on top of seating capacity.

welcome to 20 years ago

bennel, crowley, johnson, yarren, hogan, wilson all recent and current

freo do ignorant as well as they do failure

is belly still lying for your current junkie ?
Come on mate, can't we all just be friends? Just let both our club's junkies come together and have Crowley and Cousins do a line together?

West coast is in the best position of any club currently. I wouldn't be wasting my time concerning myself with the richest sporting club in the country when I support the club with the highest profit of any club generated from pokies, $24 million last year alone. Hawthorn could be in a lot of trouble here.

Just stfu, and keep on sending over the cash. We are building a new AFL headquarters in the shape of Teddy Whitten.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also, kind thanks for all of the GST revenue that hardworking West Australians have given us over the years to pay for our infrastructure and lifestyle.

Spare me. You realise we don't rely on pokie revenue over here mate? Oh gosh the idea we rely on bums on seats at our games for our revenue? Try harder.

Our backyard is well trimmed, thanks for asking (PS happy to fund this league ourselves if required, I was just including Freo because I'd had a few beers and pretending to put on a united front).

The competition has been suspended for 48 hours & it feels like the BigFooty Main Board has fallen right back into December style shitposting. What a mess will this place be by the middle of May?? :rolleyes:

Spare me. You realise we don't rely on pokie revenue over here mate?
Of course i F**king do i've only been living here for 30 years

We make less in Pokie/Hospitality then WCE do in crowds, Pokie's only closed yesterday. Optus wont have anyone putting a foot in the stadium till start of June. Looks like we're eating the same s**t samwich but you have the lack of brains to mock others for it.

Our backyard is well trimmed, thanks for asking (PS happy to fund this league ourselves if required, I was just including Freo because I'd had a few beers and pretending to put on a united front).
Why did the WAFC just ask the government for a 3 million dollar bailout if the backyard is doing fine? It's not. The WAFL may literally be dead next year., 3 clubs are worried they will drop out. The backyard is not fine mate. Your here ragging on Vic clubs when the WAFL is absolutely ****ed. "Backyard is fine" Absolutely full of s**t mate. Im happy to tell you that of a fan of a club staring into oblivion and being asked for a second time this year to open my wallet or there wont be a club.

West coast is in the best position of any club currently. I wouldn't be wasting my time concerning myself with the richest sporting club in the country when I support the club with the highest profit of any club generated from pokies, $24 million last year alone. Hawthorn could be in a lot of trouble here.
Ild be sweating If i was WCE as you probably know a lot of their value is held in stock, Which has taken an absolute bath in recent weeks, considering as well its it funds the WAFC so they will pull a big chunk of value out to try to salvage the absolute loss in grassroots level we're facing

We're the second most valuable club in terms of assets+Cash and we're looking at being put back 5 years. Great time to buy a new stadium

Coronavirus shutdown: AFL eyes off Bank of West Coast for rescue bid
Mark Duffield and Jon RalphThe West Australian
Wednesday, 25 March 2020 5:00AM

The AFL faces a potential legal battle with WA football if it attempts to use West Coast’s $45 million cash reserve to help guarantee a financial bailout of the code worth up to $500 million.
It has been suggested that the league could use the reserves of the Eagles ($45 million), Richmond ($24.5 million) and Collingwood ($30 million with a $17 million future fund) as part of the surety for a package they are seeking from the Victorian State Government or the NAB Bank to offset the financial devastation of the coronavirus pandemic.
The league — which has already told clubs to cut their 2020 wages bill by up to 80 per cent, cut their own bill by the same amount and demanded a 70 to 80 per cent pay cut from players — would scrap annual distributions to clubs and replace them with a scaled-down liquidity package as part of the proposal. It is also possible that the league’s stadium, Marvel, would be part of the bailout’s surety.
Clubs have been told their football department soft cap would be cut by 30 per cent by next year to about $7 million in a bid to increase the viability of the code and all 18 clubs.
But business sources which The West Australian spoke with last night said any attempt to use West Coast’s cash reserves would create a legal minefield. The Eagles are 100 per cent owned by the WA Football Commission which also owns their AFL licence.

One source said Eagles board members could be putting themselves in an “invidious” position legally if they agreed to use funds from a viable financial entity to guarantee the bailout of clubs which may not prove financially viable.
The crisis has forced West Coast, despite its cashed-up status, to take austerity measures.
A significant number of West Coast staff were told this week they would lose their jobs. Others have been urged to take leave without pay until football resumes.
Fremantle are likely to announce the extent of staff and pay cuts in the next few days.
North Melbourne chief executive Ben Amarfio claimed clubs were banding together to ensure they had enough collateral for a bailout.
“The AFL has asked all clubs for transparency over their cash flow but also their reserves,” he said.
“It won’t be stealing their money, it will basically act as a surety for the massive loan the industry will have to take.
“The AFL has told us already we will all get a liquidity package.
“The old distribution is gone and replaced by a new distribution which will be a very small amount of money and we will have to make do with that small amount of money on the skeleton staff we have.”
Meanwhile, Hawthorn president Jeff Kennett warned the AFL season could be cancelled and all 850 players stood down if they refused to accept the league’s demand for an immediate 80 per cent pay cut.
Players are holding firm to their offer of a 50 per cent wages reduction until the fate of the 2020 season becomes clearer.
A tentative restart date has been set for May 31.
Talks between AFL boss Gillon McLachlan, who has volunteered to take a 20 per cent pay cut, and AFL Players’ Association boss Paul Marsh yesterday failed to resolve the stand-off.
“I understand their concern but this is about survival between now and when the competition starts again,” Kennett, a member of the AFL’s emergency war cabinet, said.
“And if an impasse cannot be resolved, one of the alternatives is the players don’t get paid at all until, and if, the season opens again.
“No one is trying to mislead or gain here. We are simply trying to survive.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back