Analysis With so many clubs in jeopardy during the coronavirus, is it time for WA to bail out VIC again?

Remove this Banner Ad

Regardless, none of the WAFL/VFL/SANFL/AFL are going anywhere. They may look different in the future, but they will still be around.
Not so sure about how the SANFL will end up. Several clubs already close to the brink before this and even talk that at least one club has told its players that they might not be paid at all this year

We're the biggest cash generator in all of australian sports, the WAFC isn't going to strip the club bare and sacrifice the future just to pay for everything else in the short term.

If they need it for themselves they’d be stupid not to. They’re the owners, it’s their money. The Eagles can pay for themselves, they’d be stupid not to draw on it for their own clubs.

Our annual "success tax" has already helped the the AFL to buy the Dome.

Take a loan out against that property

WA gets bugger all from the AFL for grassroots footy, local footy is funded by the profits of WC.

That $45m is needed to support the WAFL and grassroots here.

If the AFL want to start funding WA footy to the level they fund the other states - then we can talk.

Oh.. and put the GF on rotation after the next 10 years (which can be at the G for revenue and debt management purposes).

yep heard several Vic commentators talk about flexibility and making sacrifices.
for example the 'Perth' teams travelling to Vic for a month or the Eagles having their cash reserves used as collateral..then in the same breath state emphatically there is no chance the GF is played anywhere else

a VFL model based on greed and delusional arrogance

the chickens coming home to roost now

Last edited:
and it can't.

The AFL has no claim over it.

The entire article is WA paranoia/conspiracy theory.

you might want to check your facts...several vic commentators spouting exactly that

laugh at WA paranoia or whatever myth you want to cling to, but it doesn't even compare to Victorian delusional arrogance and staggering ignorance

God that is an absolute load of drivel. I'm assuming you were drunk whilst positing or have Corona-like symptoms and/or are otherwise under duress, hence the incoherent rambling.

In short, without needing to resort to personal insults or bother with directly addressing your many incorrect assumptions/internet-researched facts, WCE are one of if not the most financially secure club in the entire competition and will not be going anywhere. If this entire season is abandoned (which I personally suspect it might be) we'll sit tight on our wads of cash and bunker down until the storm blows over. Meanwhile, other clubs will again run cap in hand to the AFL who obviously have their own issues right now.

Regardless, none of the WAFL/VFL/SANFL/AFL are going anywhere. They may look different in the future, but they will still be around.

It’s WAFC bunch of cash since they own both WCE and Fremantle.

WAFL clubs are flat broke, only clubs surviving seem to be south Freo, Claremont and Subiaco, plus the two AFL reserves might be lucky enough to survive. The rest will be gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you might want to check your facts...several vic commentators spouting exactly that

laugh at WA paranoia or whatever myth you want to cling to, but it doesn't even compare to Victorian delusional arrogance and staggering ignorance
It isn’t delusional. We are arrogant because we are the best at footy. Big V.

Coronavirus shutdown: AFL eyes off Bank of West Coast for rescue bid
Mark Duffield and Jon RalphThe West Australian
Wednesday, 25 March 2020 5:00AM

The AFL faces a potential legal battle with WA football if it attempts to use West Coast’s $45 million cash reserve to help guarantee a financial bailout of the code worth up to $500 million.
It has been suggested that the league could use the reserves of the Eagles ($45 million), Richmond ($24.5 million) and Collingwood ($30 million with a $17 million future fund) as part of the surety for a package they are seeking from the Victorian State Government or the NAB Bank to offset the financial devastation of the coronavirus pandemic.
The league — which has already told clubs to cut their 2020 wages bill by up to 80 per cent, cut their own bill by the same amount and demanded a 70 to 80 per cent pay cut from players — would scrap annual distributions to clubs and replace them with a scaled-down liquidity package as part of the proposal. It is also possible that the league’s stadium, Marvel, would be part of the bailout’s surety.
Clubs have been told their football department soft cap would be cut by 30 per cent by next year to about $7 million in a bid to increase the viability of the code and all 18 clubs.
But business sources which The West Australian spoke with last night said any attempt to use West Coast’s cash reserves would create a legal minefield. The Eagles are 100 per cent owned by the WA Football Commission which also owns their AFL licence.

One source said Eagles board members could be putting themselves in an “invidious” position legally if they agreed to use funds from a viable financial entity to guarantee the bailout of clubs which may not prove financially viable.
The crisis has forced West Coast, despite its cashed-up status, to take austerity measures.
A significant number of West Coast staff were told this week they would lose their jobs. Others have been urged to take leave without pay until football resumes.
Fremantle are likely to announce the extent of staff and pay cuts in the next few days.
North Melbourne chief executive Ben Amarfio claimed clubs were banding together to ensure they had enough collateral for a bailout.
“The AFL has asked all clubs for transparency over their cash flow but also their reserves,” he said.
“It won’t be stealing their money, it will basically act as a surety for the massive loan the industry will have to take.
“The AFL has told us already we will all get a liquidity package.
“The old distribution is gone and replaced by a new distribution which will be a very small amount of money and we will have to make do with that small amount of money on the skeleton staff we have.”
Meanwhile, Hawthorn president Jeff Kennett warned the AFL season could be cancelled and all 850 players stood down if they refused to accept the league’s demand for an immediate 80 per cent pay cut.
Players are holding firm to their offer of a 50 per cent wages reduction until the fate of the 2020 season becomes clearer.
A tentative restart date has been set for May 31.
Talks between AFL boss Gillon McLachlan, who has volunteered to take a 20 per cent pay cut, and AFL Players’ Association boss Paul Marsh yesterday failed to resolve the stand-off.
“I understand their concern but this is about survival between now and when the competition starts again,” Kennett, a member of the AFL’s emergency war cabinet, said.
“And if an impasse cannot be resolved, one of the alternatives is the players don’t get paid at all until, and if, the season opens again.
“No one is trying to mislead or gain here. We are simply trying to survive.”

For what its worth I think the guarantee is crap to. Cause remember the banks can up the rates and screw us for years like a slave

Last edited:
well its time to change that. you live in the dim past.
Nothing to do with me, the AFL signed a contract until 2057 with the Victorian government so rightly or wrongly there is next to zero chance that they don’t see it through

Yeah that will be for the old AFL1, the new super league will be a lot fairer with the highest placed team getting the home ground and all teams travel the same.
Unless there are only 2 teams from every state there will never be equal travel so are you proposing a 8-10 team super league or something?

Of course i F**king do i've only been living here for 30 years

We make less in Pokie/Hospitality then WCE do in crowds, Pokie's only closed yesterday. Optus wont have anyone putting a foot in the stadium till start of June. Looks like we're eating the same s**t samwich but you have the lack of brains to mock others for it.

Why did the WAFC just ask the government for a 3 million dollar bailout if the backyard is doing fine? It's not. The WAFL may literally be dead next year., 3 clubs are worried they will drop out. The backyard is not fine mate. Your here ragging on Vic clubs when the WAFL is absolutely f’ed. "Backyard is fine" Absolutely full of s**t mate. Im happy to tell you that of a fan of a club staring into oblivion and being asked for a second time this year to open my wallet or there wont be a club.

Ild be sweating If i was WCE as you probably know a lot of their value is held in stock, Which has taken an absolute bath in recent weeks, considering as well its it funds the WAFC so they will pull a big chunk of value out to try to salvage the absolute loss in grassroots level we're facing

We're the second most valuable club in terms of assets+Cash and we're looking at being put back 5 years. Great time to buy a new stadium
The WA Government built and own the new stadium..not WCE

As an aside, I had the privilege of visiting Perth last year. So much nostalgia. Reminded me of Melbourne in the 90's.
Yeah, we really need to catch up on the hipster vibe and Sudanese gangs in our city 🤪

Remove this Banner Ad

Back