If you could have any player based on club needs, who would it be?

Remove this Banner Ad

jsdsgn

Club Legend
Oct 29, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Lakers
I was thinking about what each club needs and am interested to hear which player fans would love to have at their club. As a Pies fan, our midfield and ruck department is fine, but I'd love to have a Jeremy McGovern or Jeremy Cameron who are great KPP but have years left in them. I decided to have a crack at every club but am interested to hear your thoughts. There will be lots of players repeated. Often I will pick players like H. Andrews and J. Cameron not because I think they're the best at their position, but because they have youth on their side. I didnt think long and hard but these were just the players that came to mind first,

Adelaide - I chose Jeremy Cameron - they need a great CHF who is relatively young for their rebuild and develop alongside Fogarty.
Brisbane - Hipwood has never done it for me but I think he will eventually develop but McStay doesnt strike me as a long-term KPF - I'd say Cameron again.
Carlton - their backline is thin so I think McGovern or Harris Andrews suits them.Grundy/Gawn fixes their ruck issue.
Collingwood - McGovern or J Cameron
Essendon - Daniher will leave. Jeremy Cameron fits here, but so does Andrews and McGovern after Hooker/Hurley retire. I think another great mid would be handy.
Fremantle - could choose anyone basically but they have some good young talent up forward and back - well stocked for talls. I'd say Josh Kelly - complements Fyfe well.
Geelong - half their team is about to retire but Brodie Grundy would certainly solve their ruck issue
Gold Coast - jesus where do i start. Ruck and tall forwards are fine for future. Any elite midfielder under 24 would work for them. Take your pick
GWS - only deficiency will be a KP defender when Davis retires so Harris Andrews
Hawthorn - not in desperate need of anyone but Harris Andrews would be a good replacement for Frawley. Darcy Moore could play forward or back for them and be a bonus.
Melbourne - Sam Weideman is a spud and Tom McDonald's middle name is inconsistency. Jeremy Cameron.
North Melbourne - Tarrant is great but who knows with Majak, Thompson just retired. McGovern would fit well.
Port Adelaide - KPP and rucks well stocked. Andrew Gaff would complement inside mids like Boak and Wines
Richmond - only deficiency is midfield - need another outside mid. Kelly or Gaff perhaps.
St.Kilda - someone with pace in the midfield, Adam Treloar.
Sydney - Joe Daniher?
West Coast - I actually dont even know. Their list is insane lol
Western Bulldogs - I like their list. Some speed in the midfield would help so maybe Treloar again.

Last edited:
For Hawthorn, many of our leaders are retiring in a few years. It's why Coniglio would've been such a boon for our club. I'm still going to say Coniglio ;)

For us, you could either go for a key defender (be nice to have a bit more flexibility with Grimes) or another big mid to take the load of Cotch and allow Dusty to spend more time forward.

Toss up between Patrick Cripps and Harris Andrews, but I'd probably go for Andrews.

Would take Ben Brown over Cameron

Yeah I get the feeling Brown would slot into the Pies forward line quite nicely. Riewoldt the other key forward (along with Cameron) in the conversation for me.

Not sure McGovern is needed as per the OP. Although not as good as McGovern, Moore and Howe are very good intercept marks. Potentially throw in a fit Langdon and Scharenberg and it’s a position we’re pretty deep in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I get the feeling Brown would slot into the Pies forward line quite nicely. Riewoldt the other key forward (along with Cameron) in the conversation for me.

Not sure McGovern is needed as per the OP. Although not as good as McGovern, Moore and Howe are very good intercept marks. Potentially throw in a fit Langdon and Scharenberg and it’s a position we’re pretty deep in.
but remember that Howe is 30 and the other three love getting injured 2 times a month. I still think Moore could be a forward because we desperately need one of them, but i am very happy having him down back. Roughead is getting old and Langdon/Schaz are medium talls. McGovern and Moore would be unstoppable down back. Then Schaz (who i really rate but only as a third tall) for the long term and Howe/Langdon right now. Thats comfortably the best backline in the league.

We need a generational defender - like Harris Andrews (he will be a star/ or is).

Second, we need a small forward or two - perhaps the most valuable position in the modern game. I take Rozee

With these threads i always end up wanting the youngest players over those in their prime.

In the 2012 draft we were thinking of Grundy with our pick 16.

However we went Jackson Thurlow.

Grundy went 2 picks later at 18

I hate it when my club picks ruckman in the first round. Even a second round pick irritates me.

I would love Grundy at my club but i would hate that a ruckman is our highest paid player.

Bad ruckman sometimes lose finals. Great ruckman don't win them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back