Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 1

Assuming there were no obstacles, would you prefer the PB/Pylon guernsey to be our home colours?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Normally old articles on the clubs website get taken down, somehow this is still up from 13+ years ago.

ARQdRPvi.jpg

May 1, 2007, 2:15pm

PAFC chief executive John James said the club was waiting for confirmation from the AFL that it could wear its 1970s black-and-white ‘prison bar’ guernsey for the match against the Western Bulldogs and also looking for confirmation it would be able to continue to honour its heritage in any future heritage rounds.

“The Port Adelaide Football Club has a long and proud history dating back to 1870, one which we and our supporters would like to celebrate in Heritage Round,” James said.

“We are looking to hear from the AFL that they support the Port Adelaide Football Club’s participation in Heritage Round, not only for this year, but for any allocated Heritage Rounds in the future.

The club decided not to participate in the 2006 heritage round when the AFL did not approve the club’s 1980s-style black-and-white guernsey for its 80s themed heritage round.

James told the club’s members in February that the club possibly received more correspondence from its supporters about the heritage guernsey than about any other issue and that the club would “continue to fight for its heritage and what is right”.

Normally old articles on the clubs website get taken down, somehow this is still up from 13+ years ago.

ARQdRPvi.jpg

May 1, 2007, 2:15pm

PAFC chief executive John James said the club was waiting for confirmation from the AFL that it could wear its 1970s black-and-white ‘prison bar’ guernsey for the match against the Western Bulldogs and also looking for confirmation it would be able to continue to honour its heritage in any future heritage rounds.

“The Port Adelaide Football Club has a long and proud history dating back to 1870, one which we and our supporters would like to celebrate in Heritage Round,” James said.

“We are looking to hear from the AFL that they support the Port Adelaide Football Club’s participation in Heritage Round, not only for this year, but for any allocated Heritage Rounds in the future.

The club decided not to participate in the 2006 heritage round when the AFL did not approve the club’s 1980s-style black-and-white guernsey for its 80s themed heritage round.

James told the club’s members in February that the club possibly received more correspondence from its supporters about the heritage guernsey than about any other issue and that the club would “continue to fight for its heritage and what is right”.
It's not hard is it!

Problem is, if we demand it for Showdons, they may go the same way as Heritage Round.

McGuire killed that off when it was clear Collingwood couldn't benefit and would only be criticised every year!

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Koch saying he wants it for every Showdown still irks me. It's insular thinking and I'll know some see it as a sort of victory on the way to winning the war, but to me it's a near enough is good enough solution by an admin that cannot be trusted to follow through, that will keep enough happy to prevent future pushing.

Also the crows do not deserve exclusive rights to the guernsey only being wheeled out for them. The dolphin dick would be more their prestige.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dezy2010

Draftee
Sep 9, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

McGuire hasn't got a leg to stand on and comes across looking desparate here. All but gives the game away admitting this is ultimately an AFL decision and Collingwood can't stop Port from wearing PB anytime anywhere. Keep up the fight because it's slowly turning. Your on the right side. One Showdown a year will become a few home matches a year, few years later it'll be most home matches wearing the Bars.

Take this s**t to court ffs. He's claiming we want the Magpies nickname in an effort to get people on his side. Nobody is petitioning for that. He doesn't even realise that we are more than willing to wear a clash jumper when we play Collingwood.

If the people in charge had balls, and we all know they don't, then they'd take it to court if thats what McGuire wants.

Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
Eddie came across as more than desperate in that clip, and his argument if you can call it that did not hold an ounce of water.

He knows he hasn't a leg to stand on. I was confused at the end of his rant actually. He made it sound as if we want to become the Magpies again. We don't want our club to be the magpies in the AFL. We just want to wear our traditional jumper, and we've made it clear we can wear a clash when playing Collingwood. It really is clear.

The problem with any court battle is that often times it doesn't come down to the law so much as who has the bigger coffers to go the distance in the courts. Our financial situation compared to Collingwood is minuscule at best. And I dont think that this board as it stands would be willing to put so much money into a legal battle that it could conceivably lose, which could potentially cripple the club financially; especially not after what as happened the past few months economically sue to the virus.

Getting to a stage where we can wear it at least once a year is a huge step. It gets the foot permanently in the door. Dare I say if Koch pulls this off it would be quite a statement full of substance considering the majority of his tenure has been all huff no puff.

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Eddie REALLY fikn shits me to tears on this one. I've said all this before, but.....

Speaking of "campaigners", we should campaign for Collingwood to get rid of their fake home kit, which is the predominantly black one with the white number. I reckon that kit started all the perceived clashes with other dark outfits, which obviously resulted in the several 'gross' clash strips that other clubs had to concoct, just because precious Collingwood wanted to copy Port Adelaide by having a predominantly black jumper.

Fat Eddie bangs on that they haven't changed their jumper in 2,000 years, which is complete bullshit. It's got me fa'rked how The Pies were ever allowed to use the mostly black jumper in the first place, especially as a home kit.

Their real strip is the mostly white one with the black number, which is so unlike the prison bar jumper that if Port had a black back and white number, they could just about wear them against each other.

The Burger King

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I’m not sure how Cos Cardone can continue to be the CEO of McGuire Media and on the PAFC Board. He then meets with Eddie to do deals about our guernsey?! Seems entirely untenable and he should be removed from the Board.
Either that or Eddie sacks him first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back