Review Round 2, 2020 vs Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Their whole club could fall very hard in the next few years. Potentially even to unrecoverable levels.

Norwood should start brushing up their resume.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think the ship has sailed on Norwood. They had a SANFL 3-peat a few years back and only managed 2000 total members from it.

Last edited:

Was thinking the same this morning, Crows, a made up Club, compared to Port with 150 years of history, which upsets them. So the say Port formed 1997 to get over it.
They are a sad lot.
It is the only defense they have. Has become the 'no you' toddler defense. Deep down they know it is not true, but they cannot admit it.

I remember a story told by a brother if an ex crow of the club calling ex players to walk out on Adelaide oval at their first game there and hold up a 19th man banner. Apparently the first question out of most of these players mouths were 'how much are you going to pay me?' followed up by them ringing around to the other guys to check how much the rest were getting paid before going back and agreeing to do it.

Parents of the kids that form an guard of hnour each game when team enters the stadium, organize through the respective clubs. I have been told by Crows parents, that AFC first require a payment per child. I have been told by Port parents that no payment is required for Port kids to be in the Port guard of honour, and rightfully so. One club is a corporation.. The other club is not.

How are they going to make a connection? There's no club rooms to mingle with past players or fans whilst a player. They maintain a strict us vs. them setup with their supporters in general, unless it's a carefully choreographed media stunt.

Similarly they don't seem to do any past player stuff, unless it's for a media opp. It's just a continual line of people working there, then moving on. I'm sure there are plenty of players who like other players they've played with, but it'd be an individual thing, not requiring fond memories of the club itself. It's no surprise past players don't care for the club, when the club doesn't care for past players unless they want something from them.
You make them sound more like a corporation than a football club.

Edit: hadn't read the above post when I posted this.

Parents of the kids that form an guard of hnour each game when team enters the stadium, organize through the respective clubs. I have been told by Crows parents, that AFC first require a payment per child. I have been told by Port parents that no payment is required for Port kids to be in the Port guard of honour, and rightfully so. One club is a corporation.. The other club is not.
My kids have definitely done the Port one and I have not had to pay anything (aside from their memberships).

Surely the Crows don't charge for this...

How ******* rotten are the crows? It's actually both amazing and not surprising given how they were born. Their lineage is the cause of all their troubles. Their SANFL chaperones make it even worse.

How can so many greats not want a bar of them? What is the deal? It appears none of them have any form of connection even if they play a full career there.
The entire club is built on the foundation of hating (and beating) Port. There is no heart or soul to them, no matter how hard they try to deny it. They can only dream about having the culture, soul, heritage, and deep community spirit & connection that Port Adelaide have.

Can confirm, no payment requested to join the Guard. Further, the membership department fell over backwards to help one time when I asked. Club follows up with a certificate mailed to the children afterwards. :thumbsu:

The entire club is built on the foundation of hating (and beating) Port. There is no heart or soul to them, no matter how hard they try to deny it. They can only dream about having the culture, soul, heritage, and deep community spirit & connection that Port Adelaide have.

If they ever get a licenced club it should be called "Chambers".

How are they going to make a connection? There's no club rooms to mingle with past players or fans whilst a player. They maintain a strict us vs. them setup with their supporters in general, unless it's a carefully choreographed media stunt.

Similarly they don't seem to do any past player stuff, unless it's for a media opp. It's just a continual line of people working there, then moving on. I'm sure there are plenty of players who like other players they've played with, but it'd be an individual thing, not requiring fond memories of the club itself. It's no surprise past players don't care for the club, when the club doesn't care for past players unless they want something from them.

They're a team not a club. Think like the Socceroos or some other representative team. What you need to remain relevant to people (including past players) is continual on field success. Without on field success, you're just a boring and irrelevant mob that nobody will care about until your name is up in lights again. This is why West Coast do the soulless state based franchise thing better than the Crows - they are constantly successful so people always want to be seen to be a part of it. The Crows conversely are mediocrity personified and so nobody ever really feels like they should care much.

I really don't get how the crows have won two premierships and still have no culture to speak of. They must have really screwed the pooch in those early days. They are actually reasonably successful and have almost always been competitive and yet for some reason they can't bring anyone to fall in love with their club.

I mean, the colours and pseudo state side vibe can't be good in a national competition.

I really don't get how the crows have won two premierships and still have no culture to speak of. They must have really screwed the pooch in those early days. They are actually reasonably successful and have almost always been competitive and yet for some reason they can't bring anyone to fall in love with their club.

I mean, the colours and pseudo state side vibe can't be good in a national competition.
They are not to blame m8. Is everyone else''s fault.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Their whole club could fall very hard in the next few years. Potentially even to unrecoverable levels.

Norwood should start brushing up their resume.

Norwood blew their chance, as I understand it they and sturt led/ bankrolled the legal action to block ports first bid to enter the afl.
As a lad one of my best mates was a talented prospect, his dad a former port and later norwood ruckman?, one day I was at his place and the balme brothers arrived, I remember thinking what giant scary men they were, there was a big war council and I was told they were talking about blocking port. I told my mate they would be better off letting port in then aiming to get the second license.
I always thought that would have been a better solution for Adelaide, divide it east to west.
crows are confused and don't really have any identity. now they are paying for it.
another story, I worked in the sanfl members bar for every afl game through the 90s and most of the 2000's. the crows bigwigs would rock up at the end of the game, basheer, sanders, etc, and count the dosh, it was a lot, and they didn't give two hoots about the crows, they were borderline openly hostile towards them, they would just count the cash and talk about sanfl results.

If I was advising them on brand strategy and culture change, first thing I'd do is detach from the 'team for all South Australians' and adjust/drop/change one of their colours.

Their biggest defining brand trait is "we've got more money than Port". It embeds everything they do, every decision they make, their supporters see profits, membership numbers, crowd numbers, like they do premierships. They are too parochially South Australian. Drop it. It's not a state team. It's not 1985.

The SANFL created a money making machine for an elite few and they're now wondering why anyone outside that elite few feels alienated from their corporate entity.

as much as i hate the crows, and agree they have a poor identity and culture. They still have a massive following in SA, and i think always will have. Crows folk arent going to give up on AFL, and arent going to support Port.

as much as i hate the crows, and agree they have a poor identity and culture. They still have a massive following in SA, and i think always will have. Crows folk arent going to give up on AFL, and arent going to support Port.
Many of them already are giving up their Crows memberships.

As for supporting Port that is more about the next generation rather than transferring fans.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

I would ADJUST the uniform to red and yellow.
I would DROP the blue.
I would then CHANGE the location to Gold Coast.

Many of them already are giving up their Crows memberships.

As for supporting Port that is more about the next generation rather than transferring fans.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app
I think non-bigfooty Crows fans are ripe for conversion, especially after Saturday night. After all, they're the team-for-adelaidians-who-don't-get-THAT-into-footy.

If we got in first a big percentage of crow fans would be port supporters they just jumped on the wagon.

I think non-bigfooty Crows fans are ripe for conversion, especially after Saturday night. After all, they're the team-for-adelaidians-who-don't-get-THAT-into-footy.
I have converted a couple over the years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back