Prediction Changes Rd 6 vs Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

I would even advocate to put Butter's through the midfield, but suspect the club are cautious on his shoulders.

The kid is throwing himself into packs of players like a lawn dart. Surely receiving a handball from Boak in the middle and kicking the ball inside 50 isn’t going to be much worse.

If they are worried about Butters shoulders he can go on the wing at CBs so we can use his smarts and skill to get the ball forward. He can then switch to high half forward and just keep doing what he's doing.

A no brainer for me is Burton for Bonner. That's why I'm worried it won't happen.

As a long time supporter Port players were known for their hardness and attack on the ball. Bonner is the least like Port player I've seen since Ryan Lonie.

Last edited:
Definitely Bonner out for Burton.

I also think Houston should play at least the midfield distributor / defensive midfield part of the Rockliff (supposed) role. That might require someone else to come in to the backline (in addition to Burton) as cover...

I'm not sure who yet though as forward line efficiency is GWS main weapon so playing a debutant in Bergman could be a big risk. Same with Watts coming back from a long term injury.

Lienert also a risk as he's not that good.

None of this will matter if our mids crumble again though.

A no brainer for me is Burton for Bonner. That's why I'm worried it won't happen.

As a long time supporter Port players were known for their hardness and attack on the ball. Bonner is the least like Port player I've seen since Ryan Lonie.
Thats the frustrating thing about Bonner, becomes he has some great traits that could make him an elite AFL player.

Good height at 190cm, good pace and can kick 65 accurately on both feet.

Yes, both feet. The most obvious example that comes to mind is StKilda last year kicking a goal from outside 50 on his right foot of a couple of steps from a standing start.

Yeah he slammed that on the boot and got lucky. I can't recall another time I've seen him use his right foot. He's a one sided player. He's also a one trick pony.

It's such an easy decision Ken.
Riley-Bonner.jpg

1593991440533.jpeg
EaZE9omXQAAEnYp.jpg

Well we're coming up against the reanimated corpse of either Shane Mumford or Sam Jacobs this week. Ladhams could run and jump all over either of them.
Except we go the cycle of 'He's beaten by a good player'. Hinkley: 'I'll back him in (to beat spud on this week)'. 'He's beaten by a good player'. Hinkley: 'He was good last week, I'll back him in to beat (next spud player').

With added Hinkley: 'Yeah, we're playing a team with spud tall in back/forward/ruck. So why would we play another tall and take advantage? It means I can go small without risk!'.

Even 2013/2014 we've never under Hinkley used going up against sub-par talls as the perfect chance to ease our young talls into getting games. This week is the perfect one to play a second ruck, let them be third tall forward and let Westhoff drop back against one of the GWS talls. I've more chance of picking the lottery numbers for this week then it happening though. :huh:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Burton for Bonner. Absolute no brainer.

Clurey for Watts. You could argue McKenzie has been better this season and Clurey needs a reminder he has to earn his spot. Watts provides more height and it's a low risk change that has more upside than downside.

Rockliff for Ladhams. Wines is the better inside option along with Peps. We underestimate how good Ladhams is at ground level. He's a 6 foot 15 rover.

Farrell very close to an out, I think Metricon suits his game more but wouldn't mind seeing Bergman come in for him.

Last edited:
I'd just like to see the back of Rockliff. It's been obvious since year 1 he just can't handle the heat against the better teams. He doesn't have the pace to handle the increase in pressure and pace of game. Pace isn't everything, but he just has no other weapon, he isn't elusive, he isn't strong, he just gets it and kicks it. Sometimes his dinky kicks are good, sometimes they aren't.

If we're seriously looking at how do we improve long term, then Rockliff must be gone.

After that our improvement could come from:
- The development of Rozee, Houston or Butters as mids
- Development of Georgiadies, Bergman, Mead & Williams.
- The next tier might be Hayes who is clearly our best 'rucking' prospect.
- More game time into Ladhams?

I'm a huge Westy fan, but with no premiership on the near horizon, I think he also needs to go. We need to start thinking about what we do with Robbie. As I've said Rockliff should be gone, and then we're starting to look at phasing Ebert, Lycett and Hartlett out of the team

Hard to consider some of talented new youngsters, limited match practise, form guide etc.
when does ladhams come in for westoff, georgie for gray imo are the interesting debate?
obvious burton in
lycett after a poor game usually responds and mumford will suite him imo.

The kid is throwing himself into packs of players like a lawn dart. Surely receiving a handball from Boak in the middle and kicking the ball inside 50 isn’t going to be much worse.

The other thing about playing Butters out of the centre-square is that his disposal heading into our forward 50 is elite and the best we have. Having Butters run clear from the centre-square bounce would maximise the chance of our forwards benefiting from the clearance.

Burton for Bonner. Absolute no brainer.

Clurey for Watts. You could argue McKenzie has been better this season and Clurey needs a reminder he has to earn his spot. Watts provides more height and it's a low risk change that has more upside than downside.

Rockliff for Ladhams. Wines is the better inside option along with Peps. We underestimate how good Ladhams is at ground level. He's a 6 foot 15 rover.

Farrell very close to an out, I think Metricon suits his game more but wouldn't mind seeing Bergman come in for him.
I think Watts would be a massive risk. He's not a key position player at the best of times and he hasn't played for so long and hasn't had the opportunity for any meaningful match practice. Haven't heard anything about how he's going on the track. I want to see him get a go at some stage too but not at full back...that would be setting him up to fail.

I think Watts would be a massive risk. He's not a key position player at the best of times and he hasn't played for so long and hasn't had the opportunity for any meaningful match practice. Haven't heard anything about how he's going on the track. I want to see him get a go at some stage too but not at full back...that would be setting him up to fail.
Yeh not at full back. CHB. Beside his game against a non AFL standard TW, Clurey has been rat sh*t. So I fail to a massive risk in bringing in Watts.

Not expecting many changes this week. Brisbane are a really good team and were red hot. It's the first time this year we played reactive football and stopped being aggressive in both defence/attack. Putting Rozee into the centre square is great but don't have him lined up on Neale with a defensive mindset. Rozee needs to play on instinct, tell him to get on ball and win the ball, best way to stop Neale getting it. We have to get the midfield balance right, single biggest issue we've got. I look at Bailey Smith dominating in the midfield for Bulldogs and think Rozee can do that if given the chance. I'd also love to see DBJ get a squirt in the midfield, he has the sort of explosiveness our midfield lacks. So based on the fact it's our only loss for the year against a very good team I'd make one change, Burton in for Rockliff. If we get towelled up then it's time to give Bergman, Williams and Ladhams a run.

Watching Bonner this weekend, absolutely nothing went right for him. No matter what he did it was just a turnover after turnover.

Before Burton got injured, I remember noticing in one of his games that even his average/bad kicks still ended up going to our players, like some type of magnetic pull.

This is a pivotal week for me in determining whether Ken has changed the way i have been told. This should be a real significant selection test this week. Shame we will have to wait til Friday given the Sunday game.

In the past, Ken would have backed them in or sacrificed a young player like a Farrell or a Marshall.

I think we all see it, and surely they do too. We simply cannot function in the middle with Rockliff Wines and Ebert around that part of the ground. We need to see far more of Rozee/Butters/Houston and even Amon in the middle. Hoff had a bad night, but has been good this year, but there does come a point where he needs to be on the outer to get games into Georgiades.

My changes this week would be:

Bonner and Rockliff out
Burton and Bergman in

Bergman off half back as well as Burton and push Houston up to the midfield again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back