Preview R6: Carlton v Bulldogs Sun 12th July 6.45PM @ Metricon - Team - Post #937

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scanning the playing list - if we're looking to pick a small defender, there's not much else there...
I suspect that the club was just as concerned as I was last week by our total lack of anyone else providing run out of defence when Doc got locked down, they would have been expecting a one two punch from Doc and Simmo but unfortunately Simmo is 3 years older than the last time that worked and he’s not up to it anymore, so we really need to find someone else to provide that dash out of defence and at the moment the only player on our list that has shown a propensity to take it on lately is Cam Polson.

Long term we are all hoping it will be Willo but he has missed 2 years and will take time to get a feel for when to stay and when to go, this is the reason that some wanted us to take Rivers in last years draft as we really desperately need a running mate for Doc, hopefully Willo comes good sooner rather than later or our season could get derailed if more clubs lock down on Doc, hence the possible inclusion of Polson which isn’t ideal but s**t we need someone, hopefully we can get Zac Williams at years end who can help both back and midfield but in the meantime we need someone even if that someone is Polson.

It is a real concern to me to see Newnes seemingly locked in.
The coaching panel right now does not have my full confidence whilst he is a lock and someone like Stocker not even named an emergency.
It is just fundamentally flawed in my view as we should be taking every opportunity to fast track Stocker in our midfield whilst games are at shorter length this season. I worry about the brains trust of our coaching group as a result.

We unfortunately don't see what is happening behind closed doors and what Stocker is (or isn't) doing...I said yesterday, it was clear from Teague's Round 1 presser that Stock wasn't close to a game then, and reading between the lines it may very well be due to him not coming back in the greatest nick and/or not putting in what was required. Obviously things could have changed since then, but if he (hypothetically) wasn't putting in the work, I back the MC not to give him a game, regardless of his potential...

Not sure why people think McGov and Harry would get dropped.

I guess we will find out in about 5 hours.
I think McGov would get dropped because a) he is out of form; b) Kennedy has apparently played very well at the lower level; and c) Kennedy in for McG would be replacing one type of marking forward with another.

On revealed form McGov is a much flashier player with his high marking. Kennedy's marking is just as effective although a little lower to the ground. Kennedy can also be used as a rotation of sorts for Cripps in the middle.

I realise the talk is that McGov is playing which makes Kennedy playing less likely. There is also talk of playing a debutant in which case that means Seymour is playing - a player similar to both Kennedy and McGov as a third tall forward. Can't say I am even whelmed by these reported selections. About as whelmed as I was to see Lang playing, before he was mercifully dropped.

Finally, maybe I can't see all the work Newnes is doing off-screen but I have to say when he has the ball he has dud written all over him (notwithstanding the good goal last week). For some players, time seems to stop as they work out what to do with the ball. For other players time runs at its normal pace and they mainly cope. Then there are the duds. They always seem to be rushed. Even if they are in space it closes down on them quickly and you want them to just give a quick handball or sideways kick. The goal Newnes kicked last week was a good example. I sensed he hurried the shot because he knew giving himself time would not help but hurt.

Sorry for the intrusion.

All the best for Sunday, but obviously I want a Dogs win with no injuries to either side.

Don't think our sides are separated by a great deal and much will depend on attitude and who is switched on and is coping better with everything that is happening.

I like Carltons list and there is talent, grunt and a little bit of unknown in the list in a positive way. You have shown glimpses of what you can do and then there are games where you have gone missing for parts of it so a 4 quarter effort will get you more wins and get reward for the list you have.

I think this is a 50/50 game for both sides and not much difference in the sides on paper.

All the best
You are vastly undersestimating your side. I am picking them to make the Granny. Carlton supporters will learn how good the dogs are this week

I think McGov would get dropped because a) he is out of form; b) Kennedy has apparently played very well at the lower level; and c) Kennedy in for McG would be replacing one type of marking forward with another.

On revealed form McGov is a much flashier player with his high marking. Kennedy's marking is just as effective although a little lower to the ground. Kennedy can also be used as a rotation of sorts for Cripps in the middle.

I realise the talk is that McGov is playing which makes Kennedy playing less likely. There is also talk of playing a debutant in which case that means Seymour is playing - a player similar to both Kennedy and McGov as a third tall forward. Can't say I am even whelmed by these reported selections. About as whelmed as I was to see Lang playing, before he was mercifully dropped.

Finally, maybe I can't see all the work Newnes is doing off-screen but I have to say when he has the ball he has dud written all over him (notwithstanding the good goal last week). For some players, time seems to stop as they work out what to do with the ball. For other players time runs at its normal pace and they mainly cope. Then there are the duds. They always seem to be rushed. Even if they are in space it closes down on them quickly and you want them to just give a quick handball or sideways kick. The goal Newnes kicked last week was a good example. I sensed he hurried the shot because he knew giving himself time would not help but hurt.

a) according to the coach he has played 1 bad game in the last 3 weeks.
b) Kennedy has been in good form as a midfielder which means
c) they aren't like for like.

Hope Teague can tell which was the one bad game, I can’t.
I think Teague will be looking for how he made space for other forwards, how many intercept marks his man took, pressure act on top of the fact that he kicked 2 goals in each of our wins.

It should be remembered that the Bulldogs are equal 7th in the league for marks inside 50 with 47, Carlton have had 40 from players who aren't named McGovern, McKay or Casboult, that doesn't happen without dangerous and intelligent talls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are vastly undersestimating your side. I am picking them to make the Granny. Carlton supporters will learn how good the dogs are this week
Mick, just curious, for all their wonderfullness, would you pick the Dogs to beat the Cats at home?

We beat them 7 goals last year and lost by 3 points in the other, they may well get over us, but it will be no gimme for them

I agree Gov probably should be dropped for form reasons, but think he is becoming bit of an unfair scapegoat/maligned player on this board, possibly due to his supposed pay packet (which I do not believe is as big as Bozo the Clown as Riccuito says it is)

Think we need to try playing more up the corridor from Half Back instead of hitting the flanks, the Dogs still have a vulnerable backline IMO that we can exploit if we are efficient with our forward entries/ball usage.

Would be quietly pleased if it ended up being Simmo (managed) for Polson.

Kade isn't impacting the game meaningfully at the moment, and that's not taking anything away from his fantastic contribution over an incredible career, but if there's a time to see what we might have in the wings to replace him it's now.

Docherty, Jones, Plowman
SPS, Weitering, Willo
Murphy, Setterfield, Walsh
Pittonet, Cripps, Curnow
Cuningham, Casboult, Martin
Betts, McKay, McGovern
I/C: Gibbons, Fisher, Newnes, Polson

Can't see Kennedy coming in for Gov - it'd be a complete farce if we were to reward a run of good form on-ball in the reserves with a senior appearance in a forward pocket.

I agree Gov probably should be dropped for form reasons, but think he is becoming bit of an unfair scapegoat/maligned player on this board, possibly due to his supposed pay packet (which I do not believe is as big as Bozo the Clown as Riccuito says it is)

Think we need to try playing more up the corridor from Half Back instead of hitting the flanks, the Dogs still have a vulnerable backline IMO that we can exploit if we are efficient with our forward entries/ball usage.

Agree he is somewhat unfairly treated...but I think it has more to do with his perceived potential rather than his pay packet...

In those 15 minutes or so that he has every now and then, he looks like he could be All Australian - then he completely disappears from games and doesn't do the basics right like chase, tackle and pressure...

We judge him harsher than say JSOS because we know JSOS, whilst not having the highlights package Gov does, gives his all at every contest...I personally would prefer a player with 100% effort over the sometimes spectacular...

A Gov as a consistent contributor within games is a really dangerous weapon...that's why seeing him 'go missing' for large chunks of games and performing acts like his 'half bumps' over tackles are so much more frustrating than it would be if it was another player...

Would be quietly pleased if it ended up being Simmo (managed) for Polson.

Kade isn't impacting the game meaningfully at the moment, and that's not taking anything away from his fantastic contribution over an incredible career, but if there's a time to see what we might have in the wings to replace him it's now.

Docherty, Jones, Plowman
SPS, Weitering, Willo
Murphy, Setterfield, Walsh
Pittonet, Cripps, Curnow
Cuningham, Casboult, Martin
Betts, McKay, McGovern
I/C: Gibbons, Fisher, Newnes, Polson

Can't see Kennedy coming in for Gov - it'd be a complete farce if we were to reward a run of good form on-ball in the reserves with a senior appearance in a forward pocket.

His spoil to set up Cuningham's shot at goal late in the bombers game was quite an impact!

But I agree over the course of this year we need to get good looks at the young talent we have on the list and phase out the likes of Simpson. That said I can't see how Simpson goes out and Newnes stays in.

His spoil to set up Cuningham's shot at goal late in the bombers game was quite an impact!

But I agree over the course of this year we need to get good looks at the young talent we have on the list and phase out the likes of Simpson. That said I can't see how Simpson goes out and Newnes stays in.

I can see it pretty easily - Kade is 36 and, if we're being honest with ourselves, not in our best 22 next year. I'm not sure he's in our best 22 now.

Newnes has played a different role, and honestly the two shouldn't be compared statistically or otherwise. Our backline needs drive from the smalls, and Simmo isn't giving us much. A time will come when we can't play him, I don't think we should wait til then before deciding not to play him.

I would love to agree with you, but your lot dished out harsh punishment last year, and we only just scraped through to win the second game. I'm tipping a close one

Hope Teague can tell which was the one bad game, I can’t.

Was poor against St Kilda like all our forwards and basically entire team.
Was good against Essendon & Geelong.

Harry missed the Essendon game, so it was only 2 games ago that we were all raving over our Casbout/McKay/Gov tall trio and the damage they could do to teams. They haven't had a proper run together over a stretch of games and don't always get decent supply from the midfield.

I think it's clear from Teague's presser he'd like to give these 3 more of an opportunity to develop together and if they can produce more Geelong type games then we're onto a winning combination. Cas & Gov were also good in the Essendon game as a duo to fill the void left by McKay & JSOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back